Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2023 4:57:03 PM EDT
I have a new 1895 Guide Gun arriving next week --

1) Is there any difference between this blued "alloy steel" Ruger is using on the receiver and barrel than what (Rem)Marlin has used in the past? Does it have any increased protection from rust?

2) I plan to strip the rifle down to treat all the blued surfaces -- any recommendations on a protectant? looks like wax is the way to go?

3) My last (Rem)Marlin 336 started to develop rust inside the muzzle on the grooves, any recommended protectants to treat the barrel bore itself?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  Probably not the same exact alloy.  Probably not anymore resistant to rust is if it is blued carbon steel.

2.  Keep it oiled.  Periodically wipe the metal with oil, not too much, it shouldn't be dripping wet.  Always wipe off the metal after touching with fingers.  Don't store in cotton lined cases.  

3.  Again, a thin coat of oil is all that is needed.  Keep it in dry environment.  

If being put away for long periods of time, additional measures might be needed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd think the finish matters much more than the metal. I don't think it's that hard to keep them from rusting unless you are really using them in nasty enviroments for extended periods of time. Keep them wiped down. If you mess up and it ever fails there are plenty of coatings that you can have done that are more corrosion and rust resistant.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had blue finish guns all my life, never fussed over them ran them hard with minimal attention, and have never had issues with rust. Don’t overthink
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll be fine with just a light coat of oil.

I do wax all my shotguns, regular Johnson car wax.  That's because I hunt in saltwater areas, but for you that's not going to be needed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Note the locations of responses: dry climates have no problems.  I live in the deep south where it’s very humid.  Blued guns of any sort often get surface rust through the bluing if you sweat on them and put them away even for a few days.  

You can get rem oil wipes (packaged like Lysol wipes) which are fast and simple for a quick wipe down to prevent this.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
All steels are alloys.  There are many alloys.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Fluid Film for exterior blued surfaces. Does not have to be reapplied periodically for storage in my experience (house is ~50% humidity all the time). Just squirt some on a rag and wipe it down.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Just picked up the new Marlin 1895 blued guide gun last week. stripped gun down to barreled receiver and coated all parts with Corrosion-X including bore, then rubbed on a coat of Renaissance wax and reassembled
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the humidity like in Arizona?
View Quote

What is this "Humidity" of which you speak?
My old lever action, made around 1911, has wood shrink so bad that the stock rattles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top