Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2018 7:21:38 PM EDT
Finally got my Sentinel in the mail after an extended wait. Took them out, came with LIFs for my wait(score!), put them on my helmet and closed all the blinds in my bedroom...I work nights and have blackout curtains so room is totally dark. Use the IP adjustment and get both tubes where I think they should be. Focus right tube. Front, back, front. Check. Focus left tube. Front, back, front. Check. Open both eyes...everything's just so slightly blurry. I can still read stuff but it's not as sharp as just using one eye. I double checked to make sure the lenses were clean. They were. I busted out the 14 to make sure my eyes weren't messing with me. Nope. Is it something my brain has to adjust to since I've been using a single 14 so long? Is my IP adjustment wrong and I just don't know how I really need to adjust it? The right tube is just ever so slightly less sharp than the left FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes in haste, people tend to overlook the adjustments on the eyepiece. The ones right by your eyeball, not at the end of the tubes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sometimes in haste, people tend to overlook the adjustments on the eyepiece. The ones right by your eyeball, not at the end of the tubes.
View Quote
Didn't overlook the diopter adjustment...hence front, back, front. Also, both are focused correctly when I close one eye and alternate.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Are these new or used?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Difference in temperature between the inside of the box vs your room? Let them acclimate to the room temp and try again. r
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Get them outdoors and test.

I often get weird reflections playing with NV indoors at times.  Could be light from under the door or a led plug just to name a few causes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If he closes one eye, they look good. So it seems to me the unit is operating as designed.

I think the OP probably just needs to get around and train his brain to see through both tubes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have an odd feeling when both eyes open?

You may have the diopters at a mismatch (either in absolute terms or for your eyes) even though they are fine when looked through individually. Adjust the diopters both eyes open and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Focusing with both eyes open is a new concept to you, so its gonna take some adjustment. But if you do it your eyes and brain will thank you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If you look through one eye then the other at a very distant object does the object move or stay centered?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Instead of closing an eye to focus the other, just cover that side
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright everyone I got a chance to play around with them some more tonight. Go figure I get new NV the only week this year I'm working daylight due to training. I think the statement about temperature difference was part of the issue because tonight I had significantly less issue. I did notice that the father away an object was, the more likely it was to be sharp when both tubes focused. I'm guessing the slight difference in views due to distance apart is what's causing close objects to not be as sharp.

At any rate, I turned off all the lights in my house and even though my brain is definitely having to adjust to focusing through 2 tubes I was able to walk around and navigate stairs and whatnot much easier than with just my 14( I tested this by walking the same path immediately after with my 14). This includes going outside into my well lit urban yard to get to the door to my basement and walking around down there as well so I got to work in multiple areas and brightness levels. As time goes on I'm sure it will continue to improve. The suggestion to focus each tube with both eyes open is something I'm definitely struggling with however. I'm assuming that's something I'll have to train my brain for as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]
You can independently focus each eye front lens first than rear lens last for each tube, then fine focus aka adjust both objective lens for the second/final time with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I also had an issue with my binos that this forum solved where, with both eyes open, it was a bit blurry at distance. Closing one eye at a time I determined the right eye was crisp as it should be, while the left was a bit fuzzy - with both eyes open the left's blurriness polluted the combined clarity. The issue was that my left optic needed an objective adjustment to correct for my natural vision that was just slightly beyond the range of adjustment that the device could offer with the focus lock ring as it came from TNVC. All I had to do was loosen the set screw for the lock ring and back it out just a tad more to allow that little bit of extra adjustment range. Fixed my issue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
That’s odd that some of you can’t adjust each side independently with the other side off or eye closed or whatever. That’s exactly what occurs at the eye doctor.

That’s how I do like. Shut one side off adjust on side and then the same with the other. Of course after I open both eyes to make sure everything looks good.

Must be one of those “everyone is different” things.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don’t claim to know a thing about what the norms for optometrists’ practices are, but as far as I can recall, mine have always given me fine-tuning options with both eyes open after checking both eyes individually.

Could be something they just do for me because of how indecisive I get when they ask “better 1? Or better 2?” so they feel the need to confirm just in case I change my mind again.

Again, I don’t know what normal practices are, but my optometrist visits tend to mirror my NOD adjustments. Probably one of the few guys that’s always bugging them about tiny changes in astigmatism and making sure that my prescription is a good match for “electro-optical technologies,” too. So, I may be being “extra” as the youth might say when I go to the eye doctor.

~Augee
View Quote
That’s what I said. Individually at first gets you pretty much there and then fine tuning with both eyes.

And part of me feels they just get bored an troll us. Show the exact same image and ask, “which is better, 1 or 2?” Lololol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top