Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 11:11:56 PM EDT
I posted this over in the precision section as well, however I wanted to reach out for the most opinions possible.

Has anyone eyed up the new AXIS offering from Savage? The Axis II Precision appears to be a medium profile threaded barrel AXIS dropped into a MDT Chassis... I know it's brand new on the market, but what do you think about a head to head between one of these and a 110 Tactical (or Desert Tac)? Both are going to real world run around $700, I've just not been able to find a TON on the practical differences between the two lines. I know the AXIS is the more bargain of the two, but it SEEMS mostly an issue of a different action on the AXIS precluding the ease of barrel change/replacement that you have with the 110. Is the action itself also inferior?

Savage AXIS II Precision

I've been thinking of a 6.5, however I'm likely just going to go with a .308. I'm already set to press .308, and I'm completely comfortable in the fact that this is going to be a distance plinker / pretend I'm a sniper at my hunting and fishing club range. Whatcha think?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You should also look @ the Remington 783 & Mossberg MVP that also take Savage bbls.  Look @ Savage actions like you look @ an AR upper - it's just a place for the current bbl of your fancy to screw in.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:38:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The Axis line is their "bargain" line which isn't to say they are bad.  From everything I've read they are great guns for the money.  That said if you want to shoot long distance, even just for fun, I'd look at the Tactical line.  The new stocks aren't chassis frames of course but your getting their premium action and barrel in a stock that's adjustable to just about any shooter.

I've been trying to decide if I want to build a 6.5 Creedmoor AR or go with a bolt action.  Not for competition, I don't have the skill or experience for that but range use fun.  My requirements being light enough to hunt with, accurate enough for respectable long distance shooting and a removable mag that holds more than 4 rounds.  The Savage 110 Tactical is the gun I'm sold on so far.  I've watched so many reviews on it I'm pretty confident it'll be a great choice.  Plus I've always shot Savage bolt actions and I've always been very pleased with them.

Out of the two you mentioned that's what my opinion is.  Which isn't worth much but you asked
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top