Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2018 8:15:00 PM EDT
Bullpupforum has a thread started by Pete Athens asking for input on factory SBR STG77 Commando guns with a 14" barrel. Only 150 units, and really only 150 units.

I spoke with him today and it's definitely a likely possibility. Austria is going to be the final word on it though. One thing I found odd is that Austria does not want to sell standalone 13.8" barrels, in fact Austria is hesitant to even sell the complete Commando guns...

If you're interested in these, like I am, make your voice known.

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh hell yeah!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
They will be SBRs though... and in my opinion the reason why they will not come to fruition due to lack of demand.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I can certainly appreciate that they are willing to do this, but I know I'm not all that interested in the Commando.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:44:32 AM EDT
[#4]
No interest in buying another AUG just for the barrel +$200.
Would be interested in just the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested in the barrel alone and I am willing to sbr mines.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in - and if it's through Pete, I'd put $down if needed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm always interested in another AUG.

But not really for 2 inches less and $200 tax. Just a barrel? Maybe

Of course are these A1 housings or m1 housings? Really not interested in one with an m1 receiver
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm always interested in another AUG.

But not really for 2 inches less and $200 tax. Just a barrel? Maybe

Of course are these A1 housings or m1 housings? Really not interested in one with an m1 receiver
View Quote
I'd be surprised if it isn't an M1 housing, them doing an A1 housing would likely make it even more pricey. If they were willing to do A1 housings, the STG77 would've been the one they test out if it was a viable marketing option.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd be surprised if it isn't an M1 housing, them doing an A1 housing would likely make it even more pricey. If they were willing to do A1 housings, the STG77 would've been the one they test out if it was a viable marketing option.
View Quote
true
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Would it be a 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider to get it to 16"?

The Commando version also has a fixed vfg, so you don't accidentally shoot your fingers off
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would it be a 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider to get it to 16"?

The Commando version also has a fixed vfg, so you don't accidentally shoot your fingers off
View Quote
Factory SBR. I think the fixed vfg is a given, even the 9mm kits have a fixed grip and those barrels are 16".
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]
No interest from me.  I just don't see the logic in spending an extra $200 over the cost of the rifle, then wait six to eight months, and be limited where I can take it, when with a push and a twist, I can pull any barrel out of an AUG and be even more compact.

Plus, I get to "pull a Karl" when I take it out of the bag.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
It might be interesting if it came threaded 1/2x28 so I could mount a can on it and have a super short suppressed package. But I'd be surprised if they did.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Will this be an FN or Austrian bbl?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Austrian barrel finished by steyr in Alabama. FN doesn't make barrels for steyr anymore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Austrian barrel finished by steyr in Alabama. FN doesn't make barrels for steyr anymore.
View Quote
When did they switch over? Don't remember reading about that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It seems like the smart business decision would be to offer just barrels so people can put in the SBR paperwork and wait while they continue to use their full length barrels.

Factory SBR just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially on a gun that has a QD barrel.  I really don't get the logic on this one....but European gun companies don't always seem to "get" the best marketing/business practices in the U.S and vice versa...

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
It is not just European gun companies, there is a very different culture in Western Europe as a whole when it comes to business practices and customer interactions. I am in a business that deals directly with Swiss companies regularly and have had major clashes with them about this, they just don't seem to give a shit. Many European companies don't care about keeping a good relationship with repeat customers, they only care about the next sale.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
When did this start? What versions does this apply to?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote
I’m curious about this too. I noticed the chrome lining going from clean and uniform to sloppy for lack of a better way to describe it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]Quoted:[/b

I’m curious about this too. I noticed the chrome lining going from clean and uniform to sloppy for lack of a better way to describe it.
View Quote

I didn't know this either. The FN AUG barrels are spectacular. Very accurate. If the new barrels are lower quality - then I'm out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think they have actually started production yet, but the machinery has been transferred from FN to Steyr and there have been exchanges of personnel between Austria and the US. I'm under the impression that current inventory is still FN stock. Don't know for sure, but can find out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I didn't know this either. The FN AUG barrels are spectacular. Very accurate. If the new barrels are lower quality - then I'm out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:[/b

I don’t know when the switch was made I just know the barrel from my 2016 and before AUGs had a much more uniform CL than my 2017 bbl or even my 2018 bbl. They are still just as accurate as before but the chrome is not as centered around the crown. Honestly it seems to be entirely aesthetic but it still bugs me. IDK if these are Steyr or FN bbls.

2016 bbl

2017 bbl
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don’t know when the switch was made I just know the barrel from my 2016 and before AUGs had a much more uniform CL than my 2017 bbl or even my 2018 bbl. They are still just as accurate as before but the chrome is not as centered around the crown. Honestly it seems to be entirely aesthetic but it still bugs me. IDK if these are Steyr or FN bbls.

2016 bbl
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/950x900q90/923/byk35f.jpg

2017 bbl
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/950x900q90/922/3D9X0y.jpg
View Quote
Those are all FN. What I'm referring to is extremely recent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2016 bbl
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/950x900q90/923/byk35f.jpg

2017 bbl
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/950x900q90/922/3D9X0y.jpg
I’ll be interested in seeing the new bbls.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll send you a pic of a barrel I have. I'm too embarrassed to post it publicly. The chrome is horrendous looking on the face of the barrel. Chamber and rifling is exceptional, but the exterior visible chrome looks like shite. That was a 2013 barrel. I think the monkeys at FN can make some really great barrels, but they've also produced mountains of turd barrels. I recall a particular time when something like 100+ barrels we're rejected. They ended up in a big pile to get chucked.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll send you a pic of a barrel I have. I'm too embarrassed to post it publicly. The chrome is horrendous looking on the face of the barrel. Chamber and rifling is exceptional, but the exterior visible chrome looks like shite. That was a 2013 barrel. I think the monkeys at FN can make some really great barrels, but they've also produced mountains of turd barrels. I recall a particular time when something like 100+ barrels we're rejected. They ended up in a big pile to get chucked.
View Quote
Ok sounds good I’d like to see it.  my latest (April of this year) looks about like the 2017 bbl with the exception the crown is at least chromed uniformly enough so the rifling interface is covered. Fortunately they all are excellent shooters that I’ve owned. Sad part about the FN bbls is that FNH (Belgian) barrels are amazingly finished. My FAL, FNC,SCAR FS2K all showed amazing attention to detail. Hopefully Steyr USA will keep the QC high.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Official word is that they are still using up FN stock.

The machinery is set up, personnel are ready, and Austrian hammer forged barrel blanks are in Alabama ready to be finished.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Something else an AUG nerd might find interesting is that a batch of US made castings were recently rejected from the source, leading to Steyr Mannlicher sending over a small amount of Austrian "SWD" castings to hold over steyr USA. These are A1/A2 type castings not seen in the USA for ~25 years. They're just now available for sale as complete guns.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Official word is that they are still using up FN stock.

The machinery is set up, personnel are ready, and Austrian hammer forged barrel blanks are in Alabama ready to be finished.
View Quote
Nice.  1:9 or 1:7; or both?

I have a 1:7 that shoots horribly that's going back soon and it would be great if I could get an  Austrian replacement
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Something else an AUG nerd might find interesting is that a batch of US made castings were recently rejected from the source, leading to Steyr Mannlicher sending over a small amount of Austrian "SWD" castings to hold over steyr USA. These are A1/A2 type castings not seen in the USA for ~25 years. They're just now available for sale as complete guns.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
For sale where? Are these fixed optics or like the stg77?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For sale where? Are these fixed optics or like the stg77?
View Quote
Not fixed. They're M1's.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#33]
If rather an LSW configured AUG with a 20” or 16” barrel included as a package.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Nice! I’d like to have one of those.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm VERY ignorant when it comes to the AUG.

What difference would there be between a factory 14" barrel with fixed FG and a cut down 16" barrel with a pinned FH for a OAL of 26.1"?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Because the cut down barrel won't run!

(Please don't ask how I know)
View Quote
Yup, the 14" has a different gas port size than the 16" and 20"
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 3:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Just ordered one of these. temptation was too much
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
Where can you order them from??
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Where can you order them from??
View Quote
Pete Athens
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
My feelings also. An AUG is 10.3" AR without all the SBR stuff. Hard to think about SBRing one. A PS90 yes, AUG not really. A sub-16" 1:7" barrel with a pinned muzzle brake/flash hider I might be game.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:A sub-16" 1:7" barrel with a pinned muzzle brake/flash hider I might be game.
View Quote
On the right is my factory 14” pinned and welded. That said, my pinned and welded 16” X95 is still smaller.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I would much rather have a new, factory heavy barrel with an authentic AUG bipod.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pete posted on the Bullpup Forum that the STG77 14” Commando is DOA.
View Quote
Well, yeah, the numbers just don't add up.

The number of people that will buy a factory SBR, tiny.

The number of people that will buy a Steyr AUG, tiny.

The number of people that will buy a factory Steyr SBR...Maleante.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete posted on the Bullpup Forum that the STG77 14” Commando is DOA.

And probably me..... although I’d rather just have the barrel
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:..... although I’d rather just have the barrel
View Quote
As would almost EVERYONE else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:..... although I’d rather just have the barrel
Sure seems like a great opportunity for Pete or Steyr-USA: bring in 14" barrels and sell them pinned-and-welded with user's choice of, or supplied muzzle device.

I expect Steyr's worried about perceived liability of selling <16" barrels since there's almost no way for a Steyr owner (who'd generally be lacking an SOT or approved Form 1) to take possession of one without being in constructive possession of an unlicensed SBR.  Given that, just sell them pinned and welded - ideally with choice of common muzzle devices for those who'd rather not have to immediately send the barrels away for a swap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top