Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2021 7:47:36 PM EDT

Well, I didn’t have a role for it, I’m not particularly a fan of 9mm in a large frame pistol, and it was more than I wanted to pay for it, but my worries about imports being banned and the outright cool-factor of the HK SP5 won. I expect to pick it up from my local FFL on Thursday.

Is there anything in particular I should look for when inspecting it prior to accepting and taking delivery? Have there been any problems with later models? It’s new and serial number is above 10,000 so I’m assuming I should be getting the diopter sights with the round holes in the rear?

The seller is reputable and it’s new in the box but it’s a lot of money for me and I don’t want to miss anything on my inspection.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much to worry about with the Original. It’s should be GTG out the box. Clean off the factory oil and lube with your flavor of choice. As far as your large frame pistol comment, it’s not meant to be one. Slap a brace on it and shoot it the way it was meant to be. Better yet, SBR it and put an A2 or A3 on it and it will be the way it was meant to be man handled.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as your large frame pistol comment, it’s not meant to be one.
View Quote

Thank you for taking the time to post and help. I meant no disrespect with my 9mm comment, it’s just hard for me to break the mindset that any firearm bigger than a handgun should be a rifle caliber. And I’d be tempted to buy a second SP5 if HK produced one in 10mm (if it’s not heresy for me to say that).
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thank you for taking the time to post and help. I meant no disrespect with my 9mm comment, it’s just hard for me to break the mindset that any firearm bigger than a handgun should be a rifle caliber. And I’d be tempted to buy a second SP5 if HK produced one in 10mm (if it’s not heresy for me to say that).
View Quote

Less than 0% chance they produce one in 10mm lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

None taken. Just pointing out the fact that it was designed as a sub machine gun in a PCC caliber and meant to have a stock. It’s only in that form for us peons to be able to purchase.

As far as 10mm, HK did that too, and 40cal
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The only worry I'd have is that someone monkeyed with it after it left HK. Check to make sure it's a virgin gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only worry I'd have is that someone monkeyed with it after it left HK. Check to make sure it's a virgin gun.
View Quote

I’ve bought 3 SP5K PDWs from 2 different LGSs. Each time I had to tell the sales person to stop charging the cocking lever a slapping it closed. Pisses me off when they jack with my shit. Even more so when I’m paying close to 3G for something.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Other than if it were dirty from firing, what other signs might indicate that it’s been monkeyed with?
Does it leave the factory fully assembled?

Quoted:

I’ve bought 3 SP5K PDWs from 2 different LGSs. Each time I had to tell the sales person to stop charging the cocking lever a slapping it closed. Pisses me off when they jack with my shit. Even more so when I’m paying close to 3G for something.

Man, I’ve been worried about the very same thing. I’ve been watching tracking like a hawk. They won’t like it but I plan on being at the FFL within 20 minutes of it being delivered. They have treated me good in the past but I’m not taking a chance with someone playing with this one when it arrives.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on your SP5. Find an A3 and SBR that thing the way God intended it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the gun stores here in town wants $6000 for either an SP5 or SP5K.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I would look for the nearest range after acquiring it
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
That it's not a PDW, there's been some mixups lately
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That it's not a PDW, there's been some mixups lately
View Quote

I finally got mine though after the headache.  

Oh and...
Fuck impact guns.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Registered sear.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've read elsewhere that the "HK slap" will not cause any harm to the gun. Is doing it excessively the worry? Or should it truly not be charged that way?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've read elsewhere that the "HK slap" will not cause any harm to the gun. Is doing it excessively the worry? Or should it truly not be charged that way?
View Quote

To answer your question, it’s said many places it has no impact on the weapon and is encouraged by shooting instructors. Besides, that’s not why I did not want them doing it. 2 of them are investments and I did not like some schlep behind the counter fulfilling his Die Hard fantasy’s on my dime and scratching up my investment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To answer your question, it’s said many places it has no impact on the weapon and is encouraged by shooting instructors. Besides, that’s not why I did not want them doing it. 2 of them are investments and I did not like some schlep behind the counter fulfilling his Die Hard fantasy’s on my dime and scratching up my investment.
View Quote

Lol, that's more than fair!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Check the rear pin holes and make sure no one stuck a drill through them as happened on my SP5K that was sent directly from a distributor.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I did not like some schlep behind the counter fulfilling his Die Hard fantasy’s on my dime and scratching up my investment.
View Quote

This really has me worried. I assume HK ships these fully assembled?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This really has me worried. I assume HK ships these fully assembled?
View Quote

Yes, it is assembled. Only thing I would recommend is maybe a good cleaning of their shipping oil and lubing it according to the manual. Also send a patch down the pipe for S&G.

Not sure why you are worried by what was written in that response though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, it is assembled. Only thing I would recommend is maybe a good cleaning of their shipping oil and lubing it according to the manual. Also send a patch down the pipe for S&G.

Not sure why you are worried by what was written in that response though.
View Quote

I might not have been clear. Sorry.

I’m really worried about the staff at the receiving FFL playing with my SP5. I assume they see neat stuff regularly but as much as I spent on this I don’t want anyone practicing their “HK slap” on my gun like happened with yours. The (reputable) seller went to great lengths to only open the box as much as necessary to record the serial number before shipping.

I bought a Benelli shotgun a couple weeks ago that was shipped with the bolt and barrel separate / not assembled to the receiver. The bolt was actually in a sealed package. I like that better than a gun being fully assembled ; I know if the bolt is sealed no one was monkeying with the gun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

PPCs have a spot in any inventory. I'd rather shoot one in a hallway than 10.5" 556 AR, I'll tell you what. Congrats one your purchase. You really are goign to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Congrats on your purchase. You really are goign to enjoy it.

Thanks you both for the Congrats. I’m pretty excited. Don’t roast me for this but for the time being it’s going to have to get the HKPDW brace. My primary residence sits near the border of two other states I shoot at regularly and I have a small winter home in Florida. I really don’t want to have to deal with the NFA and 5320.20 permission if I don’t have to.

Quoted:
Check the rear pin holes and make sure no one stuck a drill through them as happened on my SP5K that was sent directly from a distributor.

Wow. Clearly the clerks at the gun store playing with my new SP5 isn't the worst that could happen. ??
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are lucky they may send a SP5 K instead of the SP5 .....

Edit to say: The D Bags will Finger F!!k your purchase. I had to chastise an employee for clearing the weapon more than once....
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Honestly though most gun shops will not care what you transfer in nor finger f*ck your stuff. They've probably already seen 10 SP5's. It's a mass produced firearm that wont be damaged if the bolt gets slapped.  I wouldn't worry, other than to check the rear pin holes. Because that did happen to me and HK would not fix it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Other than if it were dirty from firing, what other signs might indicate that it's been monkeyed with?
Does it leave the factory fully assembled?

Man, I've been worried about the very same thing. I've been watching tracking like a hawk. They won't like it but I plan on being at the FFL within 20 minutes of it being delivered. They have treated me good in the past but I'm not taking a chance with someone playing with this one when it arrives.
View Quote

Absolutely nothing bad will happen and nothing will show scratches. The weapon has already been test fired at the factory
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Picked it up this morning! The FFL hadn’t even opened the box and let me do so. No flaws or blemishes (and no poorly drilled holes) so I could not have been happier. The employees couldn’t have been nicer and no one “slapped” my new gun. Plenty of offers to help break it in at the range though. ??

I’m not sure I could fully appreciate how neat the SP5 is until I held this one. There’s just something about this gun that really is special. HKPDW scheduled to arrive tomorrow and after a good cleaning / lubrication I’ll be at the range Monday.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post and offer advice and suggestions!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats!  Don’t be afraid to shoot the shit out of it and get you some mags and ammo after you submit that form 1
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got a better story. Bought a P7M8 from an LGS.  Dude behind the counter tried to check the chamber while inadvertently pressing the takedown button. Let the slide go with the button depressed and sent the slide half way across the store... THEN fumbled all over trying to put it back together. I had to do it for him. I was not a happy customer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I’m not sure I could fully appreciate how neat the SP5 is until I held this one. There’s just something about this gun that really is special.
View Quote

Very true. I smile every time I grab any of my HK roller delays from the safe.

Congratulations on not one, but two new HKs.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Registered sear.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Picked it up this morning! The FFL hadn’t even opened the box and let me do so.
View Quote

They are supposed to check the serial number on the weapon and log it into their books when they receive it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top