Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2021 3:45:42 PM EDT
Can you fellas recommend what barrel I need for my new build? Wanting to go 11.5 for a 5.56 and it will host a Nomad L probly 90% of the time. So many choices and I’m no pro. Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve heard good things about the Roscoe Bloodline barrels.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my Spikes CHF lightweight.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m running a colt, geiselle, and kac. Find what ever is in stock:/
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one of the Colt HRT barrels for a similar application. It is a bit heavy due to the profile, but the gas port is reduced a bit (0.070” I think) compared to most other barrels I saw that seemed to hover around 0.073 to 0.076. Brands like Sionics, Black River Tactical, and others have barrels that further reduce the gas, such as for 50/50 suppressed, 90% suppressed, or suppressed-only type applications. I think some go down to the 0.06x or 0.05x range. You could also do an adjustable gas block if you don’t want to commit to a certain application.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer Daniel Defense barrels.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at the hodge 12.5” barrel, it’s got a tight gas port designed for can use
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Daniel defense installed by adco.  Works great.  H1 buffer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks a bunch fellas. I actually didn’t know about the smaller gas port being smaller is better. Huge help.
This would be what id want then?
https://aimsurplus.com/ballistic-advantage-11-3in-223-5-56-hanson-carbine-length-ar15-barrel-w-625-gas-block/
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 2:13:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Faxon 11.5 with mid-length gas
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks a bunch fellas. I actually didn’t know about the smaller gas port being smaller is better. Huge help.
View Quote

BRT EZ TUNE gas tube is good kit if one wants to choke down gas flow in barrels with oversized GP diameters.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure I'd say small gas port is flat-out better, it sort of depends what you want out of the gun. Really a spectrum I guess you could call it. Here's two extremes:

If you want it to be able to run weak/cheap .223 ammo (like Wolf) while it's super dirty, unsuppressed, and lacking in lubrication, a bigger gas port is your friend. I suspect this is why most manufacturers offer factory rifles with big gas ports. It makes the gun reliable with shitty ammo and poor maintenance. That same gun will gas you and be pretty hard on itself suppressed. For example, the bolt will probably wear out faster if you shoot enough. Recoil will be rougher.

At the other end of the spectrum would be a barrel setup to only use 5.56-pressure ammo with a highly restrictive/high-backpressure can 100% of the time. It'll have a smaller gas port so that you don't get smoked out with gas-to-the-face after a few shots. It'll also operate smoother and not beat itself up when suppressed. The flipside is that it likely won't cycle at all unsuppressed, or may be finnicky about ammo, maintenance, etc if it does work.

To somewhat further complicate things, some people use longer or shorter gas systems, like carbine, mid-length, or proprietary lengths between the two.

As Tigwelder mentioned, BRT has some options for tuning an existing barrel, such as restricted gas tubes or gas blocks with interchangeable inserts. Also, as mentioned above, you can get an adjustable gas block and dial it in so to speak. You can also change buffer weights and springs, but that is more of a bandaid than treating the underlying issues with the gas system.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This would be what id want then?
https://aimsurplus.com/ballistic-advantage-11-3in-223-5-56-hanson-carbine-length-ar15-barrel-w-625-gas-block/
View Quote

I’m not really sure how the BA barrels are gassed. I’m gonna make an assumption (sorry if wrong) that you might be confusing the gas block journal with the gas port and that is why you picked that barrel. The 0.625” gas block journal is just how big around the barrel is where the gas block slips on. I think there are only two basic sizes, 0.625” and maybe 0.750”(?). Maybe there are more for really heavy bull barrels, but I don’t know much about those. This diameter doesn’t really affect how the gun cycles so far as I am aware.

The gas port is a hole that goes from the gas journal/outer diameter of the barrel through to the rifled bore. It vents gas from inside the barrel to the gas block that then cycles the action. This is what I was referencing. It is a pretty important dimension that manufacturers are reluctant to publish for some stupid reason. For a carbine length barrel, they probably range from 0.07x to 0.05x inches. Maybe some might be .080”+.

Unless you buy a barrel made for suppressed use, pretty much the only way to get a smaller gas port is to buy something like a 16” barrel and cut it down (I think they tend to be about 0.062”. Buying from someone like Sionics or BRT would likely be a better option. Or just use an adjustable gas block, gas block with inserts, or reduced gas tube on a plain jane barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are super helpful, I appreciate it a ton. I’m going to read a little bit more this weekend before I order.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Rosco bloodline 11.5’s on sale due to 4th
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like my 11.5" Spike's Tactical Lightweight CHF barrel.  It's thinner than a government profile but thicker than a pencil barrel, which makes a nice balance.  It's also CHF (made by FN) and reasonably price.  Looks like Optics Planet has them in stock right now for $247 before any promo codes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#16]
BRT CHF CL 11.5 is great. BRT optimized the port for 50/50 suppressed and unsuppressed use. The profile is great too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks everyone, I went with the ballistic advantage govt profile. I’ll get an adjustable gas block for it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, I went with the ballistic advantage govt profile. I’ll get an adjustable gas block for it.
View Quote

I got one of those a while back and it's good to go. The Rosco Bloodline is also good to go I discovered that today.  Enjoy!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top