Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2023 3:53:47 PM EDT
Got the Ruglin 336 drosed today. It looks like they shot it a few times. The fit and finish is awesome. The price tag was $1099.99.. or $1000.00 according to my wife;)

I'm in beautiful California:( so I won't have the gun home for 10 days.

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. 30/30? I think my .35Rem was $179 in 1978 from JCPenny's. 336C with pistol grip but no checkering.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. 30/30? I think my .35Rem was $179 in 1978 from JCPenny's. 336C with pistol grip but no checkering.
View Quote

Ha :) yes, 30-30

The good old days. I paid $212.00 for my SS .357 Ruger Blackhawk in the mid 80s...and that was delivered to my house. The mailman just left it in the mailbox.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
With the price of a used JM Marlin 30-30 why would you spend 1k on a Ruger?? Doesn't make sense to me..
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
With the price of a used JM Marlin 30-30 why would you spend 1k on a Ruger?? Doesn't make sense to me..
View Quote

LOL....Your question doesn't make sense to me, have you looked at the price of a JM stamped gun? I've seen enough junk marked JM, I'll take a pass.

Obviously the Ruger built Marlin is a better gun. Why would I spend more money on a JM gun that cost the same or more? I'd rather buy a late model remiln then a JM gun.

Don't be jelly
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The best 1894 I’ve ever owned or shot was made by Remington.  
A lot of people don’t like the microgroove barrels.  

Only fan boy collectors or people who (incorrectly) think all JM guns are magic would not consider a Remington/ruger made marlin.  
There’s a lot of JM garbage out there.  Some guns make me think JM means “junky marlin”.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The best 1894 I’ve ever owned or shot was made by Remington.  
A lot of people don’t like the microgroove barrels.  

Only fan boy collectors or people who (incorrectly) think all JM guns are magic would not consider a Remington/ruger made marlin.  
There’s a lot of JM garbage out there.  Some guns make me think JM means “junky marlin”.
View Quote

This new Ruger/Marlin is a LOT like my Remlin 1894 ca 2018, which I happen to like very much. I wouldn't trade it for any JM 1894 that I have seen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember when those POS remlins first came out. Fit and finish was a joke. Action felt like it had sand or gravel in them. Sure they got better after a while, nice try.

Last gun show I saw 30-30 Marlins going for less then 500 bucks. Heck I could buy 2 or 3 instead of one ruglin. I know it's hard to admit once the money is spent. It's a 30-30 levergun for $1100, LMAO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I remember when those POS remlins first came out. Fit and finish was a joke. Action felt like it had sand or gravel in them. Sure they got better after a while, nice try.

Last gun show I saw 30-30 Marlins going for less then 500 bucks. Heck I could buy 2 or 3 instead of one ruglin. I know it's hard to admit once the money is spent. It's a 30-30 levergun for $1100, LMAO.
View Quote

My bad...

It's pretty simple. There are no decent Marlin 336 guns out there for less then 1k, none. You can talk about your gun show finds but it means nothing because they're not new and not in my reach. I'm not interested in buying somebody else's problem gun. I want new and new is what I have.

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice, let us know how she shoots
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice, let us know how she shoots
View Quote

I will brother
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice.  I. In for a .35 Rem but doubt they'll do that one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Think the Marlin market is kinda a weird one. I’ve seen them for under $500 in the last 2-3 years in this area in shops. Local online trader would be $600+.

Buddy of mine is one of those guys that pays stupid money for them. I personally don’t see it.

Same can be said for the AK market.

But glad Ruger is making them. Wish they were priced closer to $500-600.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Good grief, I hope this "Ruglin" nickname doesn't catch on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Wtf is "drosed"?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wtf is "drosed"?
View Quote

For most people, Google can be your friend...

Dealer Record Of Sale

It's just another redundant form to fill out while buying a gun in California. Another background check to go along with the 4473 background check that we ALL fill out buying a new gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I will brother
View Quote

I think you did great.  I’m interested too.  

I sold my first 336CS back in the 80’s like a dummy and finally picked up a used one at Gander about 15 years ago.  I’ve just now got the lever gun fever again and bought 2 Rossi’s.  357 and 44..

Grab a Gun last time I looked had your same gun for $1799.  Now that is ridiculous…!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dealer Record Of Sale

It's just another redundant form to fill out while buying a gun in California. Another background check to go along with the 4473 background check that we ALL fill out buying a new gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wtf is "drosed"?

Dealer Record Of Sale

Google turned up a lot of stuff like names, businesses, etc. So it’s California thing to get more money out of you. Not exactly a term easily recognized by those of us in the other 49 states. Nice gun but way overpriced. Thanks for your reply.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Google turned up a lot of stuff like names, businesses, etc. So it’s California thing to get more money out of you. Not exactly a term easily recognized by those of us in the other 49 states. Nice gun but way overpriced. Thanks for your reply.
View Quote

Oh no, your forgetting about all the other want-a-be states that want to be like California. I don't know what they call their robbery but you can bet it's just more BS.

Next to Texas, California is probably the largest gun market in the country, even with all the extra fun we get.

SCOTUS has made a huge difference in the last 6 months. Things are changing for the good but it take time. The worst president ever doesn't really help either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think you did great.  I’m interested too.  

I sold my first 336CS back in the 80’s like a dummy and finally picked up a used one at Gander about 15 years ago.  I’ve just now got the lever gun fever again and bought 2 Rossi’s.  357 and 44..

Grab a Gun last time I looked had your same gun for $1799.  Now that is ridiculous…!!
View Quote

Yes sir, I don't think people know that these guns are SELLING for 2k on GAG and GB and your right, that's ridiculous. My limit was MSRP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh no, your forgetting about all the other want-a-be states that want to be like California. I don't know what they call their robbery but you can bet it's just more BS.

Next to Texas, California is probably the largest gun market in the country, even with all the extra fun we get.

SCOTUS has made a huge difference in the last 6 months. Things are changing for the good but it take time. The worst president ever doesn't really help either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NC just recently over-rode the governor's veto of a biill to eliminate the permit to purchse law.

So there is no longer the requirement to go to the sheriff, pay for a permit and NICS check, then go to the LGS with your permit stating you passed their check of which the LGS must run an additional NICS check.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

NC just recently over-rode the governor's veto of a biill to eliminate the permit to purchse law.

So there is no longer the requirement to go to the sheriff, pay for a permit and NICS check, then go to the LGS with your permit stating you passed their check of which the LGS must run an additional NICS check.

View Quote

That’s not how it worked.  Both the concealed handgun permit and the purchase permit met the Brady Bill requirements and negated the need for an NCIS check.  A day or so after the law was repealed the ATF sent out notices that any existing purchase permits out there no longer met the Brady requirement. It was over reach and an overly narrow read of the law by ATF but for your purposes it clearly demonstrates that the purchase permits supplanted the NICS check at purchase.

That said, chain stores often ran a NICS check anyway for both purchase permits and CHP holders as it was a store policy.  Many chains base their store policy on the most restrictive state requirements where they have stores located.

—-

The first couple weeks since the requirement was repealed in NC have been interesting.  

1) The number of attempted straw purchases went through the roof.  Our local shop had more attempted straw purchases in the first week than it normally has in any 6 month period.   Apparently, people who were not willing to got to the SO’s office to get a purchase permit in order to make a straw purchase for someone are more than willing to just go down to the local gun shop and do the NICS check.

2) The number of “deny” responses to NICS checks are also gone through the roof.  You can tell people that it’s the same data base being used, but they seem to think they can now buy a gun even though the SO’s office would not issue a handgun purchase permit.

The other day a young man came in the shop to buy a handgun, after being thrown out the day before for attempting a straw purchase.   Once the staff no longer remember his face and or if he goes somewhere else he’ll eventually succeed and another prohibited individual will end up with a handgun.   Until the ATF actually starts prosecuting people who attempt straw purchases they won’t stop.  

The purchase permit, despite its other flaws, did a good job of discouraging straw purchases, and saved local guns shops a lot of time wasted on NICS checks that are denied.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That’s not how it worked.  Both the concealed handgun permit and the purchase permit met the Brady Bill requirements and negated the need for an NCIS check.  A day or so after the law was repealed the ATF sent out notices that any existing purchase permits out there no longer met the Brady requirement. It was over reach and an overly narrow read of the law by ATF but for your purposes it clearly demonstrates that the purchase permits supplanted the NICS check at purchase.

That said, chain stores often ran a NICS check anyway for both purchase permits and CHP holders as it was a store policy.  Many chains base their store policy on the most restrictive state requirements where they have stores located.

—-

The first couple weeks since the requirement was repealed in NC have been interesting.  

1) The number of attempted straw purchases went through the roof.  Our local shop had more attempted straw purchases in the first week than it normally has in any 6 month period.   Apparently, people who were not willing to got to the SO’s office to get a purchase permit in order to make a straw purchase for someone are more than willing to just go down to the local gun shop and do the NICS check.

2) The number of “deny” responses to NICS checks are also gone through the roof.  You can tell people that it’s the same data base being used, but they seem to think they can now buy a gun even though the SO’s office would not issue a handgun purchase permit.

The other day a young man came in the shop to buy a handgun, after being thrown out the day before for attempting a straw purchase.   Once the staff no longer remember his face and or if he goes somewhere else he’ll eventually succeed and another prohibited individual will end up with a handgun.   Until the ATF actually starts prosecuting people who attempt straw purchases they won’t stop.  

The purchase permit, despite its other flaws, did a good job of discouraging straw purchases, and saved local guns shops a lot of time wasted on NICS checks that are denied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

—-

Ok

Thanks for the clarification.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Got the gun home from the California 10 day cooling down period (I still don't understand this one)

Ruger really did a wonderful job on these. Fit and finish is awesome, better then my newer Japanese Winchester. Trigger pull averages a little heavy at 4.8# but it's a nice crisp trigger.

My only complaint is the action is a tiny bit sticky. I'm sure that will go away after use.

I should have a range report tomorrow afternoon. Not that it will matter much because I'm a terrible shot.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Now that is a rifle to admire!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Now that is a rifle to admire!
View Quote

Thank you sir...

For those interested, the prices are starting to come down. I see them on GB selling for MSRP. Pretty soon we might see em for less than 1k
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Date Return Eligible Over Seas?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks nice enough.

You will have to report back how the acraccy, action is and if it was hacked out or machined  real nice once you have it.

I'm interested to know.

I had 3 of the JM guns still have two.

Sold the 35 remmy for 600 in 2020

Still have a $200 30-30 anda $400 44 mag.

Bought years ago when they were cheap.

Lots of people live in the past and don't realize ya don't get much for 1000 bux anymore in the gun world.

For new as long as machining is good, fit & finsh are nice, and it shoots a 30-30 trajectory.
It's probably worth the 1k
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Very Nice!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got the gun home from the California 10 day cooling down period (I still don't understand this one)

Ruger really did a wonderful job on these. Fit and finish is awesome, better then my newer Japanese Winchester. Trigger pull averages a little heavy at 4.8# but it's a nice crisp trigger.

My only complaint is the action is a tiny bit sticky. I'm sure that will go away after use.

I should have a range report tomorrow afternoon. Not that it will matter much because I'm a terrible shot.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/240x240q70/c/r/922/tZWSbB.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/240x240q70/c/r/922/gYNI97.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/240x240q70/c/r/922/tpyF7O.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/240x240q70/c/r/923/RNDHB1.jpg
View Quote
Those pictures show the quality and fitment much better than the gun shop pictures, thank you!

ETA:  some JM guns were horrible, and I've seen a ton of garbage 336s.  My Remington 1894 CSBL is the nicest Marlin I've ever seen (part of why I bought it); I hope the Rugers improve the processes even more, and industrialize them so QC cannot suck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#31]
The new Marlin performed like a dream. I started out with some 150gr Fed Fusion. It did okay but it's hard for me. My eyes don't see the sights or the target very well. I got it on paper and then switched over to Hornady LEVERevolution 160 gr FTX. The picture below shows my last 5 shots from 43 yards.

The trigger is really good and it cycled ammo perfect. The empties dropped right at my feet.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The new Marlin performed like a dream. I started out with some 150gr Fed Fusion. It did okay but it's hard for me. My eyes don't see the sights or the target very well. I got it on paper and then switched over to Hornady LEVERevolution 160 gr FTX. The picture below shows my last 5 shots from 43 yards.

The trigger is really good and it cycled ammo perfect. The empties dropped right at my feet.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/240x240q70/c/r/924/ABkluf.jpg

View Quote

Awesome...

IMHO, Williams peep sights make a 336 MUCH better, but still preserve the feel of the gun... you may want to check them out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks brother...

I tried a few Skinner peep sights on my Rossi 92s and didn't like em. I do like the Marbles Ghost ring Bullseye rear sight. I think I have one, I'll give that a try Monday.

I hate to do it but I might have to go with a small powered scope :(

Maybe a tang sight ?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Big winner, really attractive rifle, shoots very well, nice posts on this acquisition.   Ruger has a hit on their hands, I highly recommend people consider getting one of these.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Crazy what they are charging for these when you can still find JM Marlins for much less.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Crazy what they are charging for these when you can still find JM Marlins for much less.
View Quote

lol, I'm Still looking
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 336w remlin in 30/30 has great fit and finish.

I traded a 300 blackout for the 336w new in box.

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#38]
What type of rifleing on these new ruger/marlins?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What type of rifleing on these new ruger/marlins?
View Quote

"Barrel is made of alloy steel and is cold hammer-forged which results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy and longevity"

It's not Micro Goove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top