Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2020 7:55:00 PM EDT
Well, kind of new.  I've been investing and accumulating reloading presses, dies, powder measures, scales, powder, primers, brass, bullets, and manuals since the Obama ammo shortages of years ago.  I have a substantial inventory at this point and have several presses set up on a sturdy bench in a nice shop floor environment.

However, despite the number of reloading books and DVDs that I consume, I am concerned that I will "do it wrong" as I am not a mechanically or engineering inclined individual.  I just don't trust myself.  So, all my equipment is still new and unused.  How do I get past this!?

The other question I would have is if there are any experienced reloaders in the Kansas City area that can help with an in-person tutorial/instruction session in reloading?  Pick the caliber(s) and I will give you the finished ammo for your time. (new, top end components - Lake City, Starline, Sierra, Speer, Hornady)

For the record, the presses I have set up are a Dillon 650, Redding T-7 Turret, Redding Big Boss Single Stage, and a Forrester Co-Ax.  Almost all dies are Redding Competition and a few Dillon.  I have dies in just about every common caliber - both pistol and rifle.

Any advice or help on how to get started and get comfortable is greatly appreciated as I really would like to become proficient in reloading (especially as I am a 10mm freak).

Thanks for reading.

Radio_Silence
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
sent you an email. we can talk on the phone to get you started. also go to the reloading forum and start reading. a few minutes on the phone with me will get you rolling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple.

Stop thinking about the entire process. Just focus on step one. Do step one. Then think about step two. Do step two.

What scares people is the level of seeming complication in all these tools, bits and pieces, etc... you're over complicating it. Its a long list of simple steps. Break it down that way, and set up your press to just resize and deprime. Do worry about seating.. powder.. etc...
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Simple.

Stop thinking about the entire process. Just focus on step one. Do step one. Then think about step two. Do step two.

What scares people is the level of seeming complication in all these tools, bits and pieces, etc... you're over complicating it. Its a long list of simple steps. Break it down that way, and set up your press to just resize and deprime. Do worry about seating.. powder.. etc...
View Quote
Exactly. This is precisely how you must approach getting started with reloading. Take breaks if you're setting up dies on a progressive if you get frustrated. Seriously. Don't make the set up about efficiency, make it about being effective. Do it right. It will save you untold headaches.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Simple.

View Quote
Totally agree with this.

Start

step 1. Once fired brass. Clean, decap and size, case guage.

Next day week year. Prime the brass.

Next day week year  add powder seat bullet crimp

Like you I am not mehanically inclined. I just did it in steps without focusing on the end result.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Start reloading 38 Special on the single stage.

It will all fall into place after that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a lot of how-to videos on Youtube.  Dillon has some good ones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Make a few dummy rounds to get familiar with the processes. Check your measurements, make sure they chamber, etc..  This is something you will do every time so get familiar and comfortable. Then step up to adding a primer and powder.

Not gonna lie. Pulling the trigger on the first round is a bit nerve wracking. But when it goes bang like it should its a great feeling!

Get after it!
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Start reloading 38 Special on the single stage.

It will all fall into place after that.
View Quote
Sound advice, and send it out of a 357 mag
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, kind of new.  I've been investing and accumulating reloading presses, dies, powder measures, scales, powder, primers, brass, bullets, and manuals since the Obama ammo shortages of years ago.  I have a substantial inventory at this point and have several presses set up on a sturdy bench in a nice shop floor environment.

However, despite the number of reloading books and DVDs that I consume, I am concerned that I will "do it wrong" as I am not a mechanically or engineering inclined individual.  I just don't trust myself.  So, all my equipment is still new and unused.  How do I get past this!?

The other question I would have is if there are any experienced reloaders in the Kansas City area that can help with an in-person tutorial/instruction session in reloading?  Pick the caliber(s) and I will give you the finished ammo for your time. (new, top end components - Lake City, Starline, Sierra, Speer, Hornady)

For the record, the presses I have set up are a Dillon 650, Redding T-7 Turret, Redding Big Boss Single Stage, and a Forrester Co-Ax.  Almost all dies are Redding Competition and a few Dillon.  I have dies in just about every common caliber - both pistol and rifle.

Any advice or help on how to get started and get comfortable is greatly appreciated as I really would like to become proficient in reloading (especially as I am a 10mm freak).

Thanks for reading.

Radio_Silence
View Quote
Wow, you really bought into the reloading goodies for not having reloaded so far!

I agree with starting with a single stage to get the process down in your head before moving on to the progressive press.

You could start with the 10mm since you probably have plenty of components being its a favorite round of yours. I load thousands of 40SW which is just a shorter version of the same... all on a single stage.

Might just write down the process and let folks review it and provide suggestions or changes: like a flow chart.

Step 1 - Are you planning on cleaning cases before reloading?  Wet or dry tumble or just wash them in a bucket? This will keep your dies clean of dirt and debris.

Step 2 - do you want to decap before cleaning to clean the primer pocket better? I decap first before cleaning because for me the primers seat more reliably this way.

Step 3 - Decap and wash cases (by your preferred method).

Step 4 - Etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks for reading.

Radio_Silence
View Quote
Where are you at in Kansas?  I'm in Pittsburg.  If you're anywhere close I'm happy to meet and offer advice.

As you've maybe seen from my posts I'm far from a pro but have been doing rifle for a few years and pistol for over 10.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't realize the OP hasn't posted in a week.

@Radio_Silence
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Didn't realize the OP hasn't posted in a week.

@Radio_Silence
View Quote
I apologize.  I didn't see your post.  I'm actually in Overland Park, KS (Prairie Village).  Would love a tutorial if you're ever up this way.

Thanks,

Radio_Silence

@Lomshek
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I apologize.  I didn't see your post.  I'm actually in Overland Park, KS (Prairie Village).  Would love a tutorial if you're ever up this way.

Thanks,

Radio_Silence

@Lomshek
View Quote
@AeroE

I'm sure one of us could set something up.

ETA - I'm a couple hours south of Overland Park.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Make a few dummy rounds to get familiar with the processes. Check your measurements, make sure they chamber, etc..  This is something you will do every time so get familiar and comfortable. Then step up to adding a primer and powder.

Not gonna lie. Pulling the trigger on the first round is a bit nerve wracking. But when it goes bang like it should its a great feeling!

Get after it!
View Quote
True story,I fired my first loaded rounds from the hip because I knew they were going to be REALLY close to my face when they went down range. I don't even think about it anymore and Im only 500 rds in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

True story,I fired my first loaded rounds from the hip because I knew they were going to be REALLY close to my face when they went down range. I don't even think about it anymore and Im only 500 rds in.
View Quote
I wouldn't say holding it close to you junk would be any better...

Had a friend with a shotgun that looked so iffy, I tied the gun to a tree and put a string on the trigger and got back about 50 ft before pulling the trigger with the string. The SG held together.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Guys,

If there is anything you need to get up/over my way please let me know.  I would love some guidance from someone with your experience.  And, trust me, I have everything we could possibly need in terms of quality equipment and components.  I've been hoarding reloading equipment and components for a number of years!

Thanks,

Radio_Silence

@AeroE

@Lomshek
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll even spring for Minsky's pizza or Joe's BBQ.  Whatever you like.

Thanks,

Radio_Silence
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude seriously just start loading

If you read the books, understand what you're doing (understand the changes and results of each action), and follow directions it's really not that hard.

If I was closer I'd stop by just to see your setup. You have far more gear than some that have been reloading for decades
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll even spring for Minsky's pizza or Joe's BBQ.  Whatever you like.

Thanks,

Radio_Silence
View Quote
I'll see if I can con the wife to do a trip up.

I'm attending an Appleseed instructor training weekend this weekend and running an Appleseed March 7-8 and Boy Scout merit badge stuff later so just finding the weekend is a challenge.

On the flip side if you're able to make a road trip to Pittsburg you're welcome to hang out and I'll walk you through the process on my turret press.

The advantage to doing it at my place is all the stuff's set up and ready to go so the lesson in loading would go much faster.  If you've never set up and adjusted your stuff you can spend a day just assembling and tuning the gear.  That's something you probably don't really need help with so much as just learning the procedure for loading.

It's a fun process and tuning a load can make for incredible accuracy.  The target below was at 685 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top