Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2018 11:02:05 AM EDT
I learned a lot from my last post on lube for cases during resizing.  Now I have another as one of the last posters advised me to tumble the cases again after resizing to remove the lube.  My question is this;  Is there a way to make the brass clean enough for de-cap trim re-size so I can save the rock tumbler brass cleaning for the last prep?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You can wet tumble it, dry tumble it or wipe it off with a rag.

The craze to make brass all pretty and shiny serves no other purpose than aesthetics. All that needs to be done is to remove any crud that may scratch the interior of your dies and give you opportunity to inspect the case for flaws.

Removing case lube, on the other hand, IS important as excess lube may not allow the case to grip the chamber wall. About 15 minutes in the tumbler with crushed walnut and you're good. You can do it after the round is loaded with zero deterimental affects.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#2]
No.

You want/need clean brass running through your dies so they don't get worn out or damaged.

Your brass doesn't need to be sparkling, but it needs the dirt knocked off of it.

Try tumbling half as long the first time around. Finish up the polishing after it's resized and trimmed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a dry tumbler so into the rock tumbler it goes to remove the one shot before loading.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I might catch some flak for this but:
Here’s mine
I’ll take all brass and dump it into bucket with soap and water. I’ll sit and agitate for 5-10 minutes.
Rinse with clean water
Into media separator to get excess water off.
throw into oven at lowest temp to cook off extra water.
Spray with rcbs lube and resize etc.
Tumble once
Reload
no problem yet.

ETA I’ll clean my sizing dies after every use.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Is your rock tumbler a wet tumbling system?

You may be able to use it with dry corn-cob inside which will remove the lube instead of buying a dry tumbler or wet tumbling again.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it is a wet tumbler.  I will buy some corn cob media and try this after I've dried the drums out.  It is a two set drums that turn together.  Right now I am using stainless steel pins and soapy water tumbling a minimum of eight hours.  I know that is probably six hours more than needed.  I will dry out one of the drums and try dry media next time.  I can easily load 100 .223 cases in each drum at a time.  Any more and they are too crowded.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I did not read your other thread.

1.  I would dissuade you from using One Shot.  Use a lanolin-alcohol spray lube, instead.

2.a)  Clean the brass.
2.b)  Lube and resize.
2.c)  Reload the brass.
2.d)  Re-clean to remove the lube.

Do not use your wet tumbler for step 2.d).  If you do not have a dry tumbler, get one.  A dry, vibratory tumbler is the first tumbler a reloader should buy.  A wet tumbler is for those who want extra bling but is not a substitute for a dry tumbler.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had good luck cleaning brass after resizing, washing with hot water and Crud Cutter. Wash, rinse twice, then drop on a towel or two to dry. Outside in the summer or put on cookie sheets and in the oven set at 190 F for an hour.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Meh, just resize the dirty brass. It won't hurt your dies. I loaded thousands of rounds before bought a tumbler. I would sometimes wash the brass with soap and water when it got really cruddy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Have used One Shot for tens of thousands of .223/5.56 rounds, works great.

Don't worry about removing One Shot lube, it will have no effect on firing the rounds.

I have tumbled rounds once loading processed is finished, tumbled in fine grade walnut shells.

No problems with tumbling live ammo.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can wet tumble it, dry tumble it or wipe it off with a rag.

The craze to make brass all pretty and shiny serves no other purpose than aesthetics. All that needs to be done is to remove any crud that may scratch the interior of your dies and give you opportunity to inspect the case for flaws.

Removing case lube, on the other hand, IS important as excess lube may not allow the case to grip the chamber wall. About 15 minutes in the tumbler with crushed walnut and you're good. You can do it after the round is loaded with zero deterimental affects.
View Quote
Guilty!

In reality a little tarnish and residual oils in the brass surface makes sizing easier.   The perfectly clean from soap and pin tumbling is more grabby without adequate lube.   Brass by it’s soft nature is grabby.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I wipe the cases down with mineral spirits to remove the lanolin.  Denatured alcohol works too.  Some people don't like this method.

I do it outside and leave the rags on the ground until they are completely dry.  Spontaneous combustion is a thing in my climate.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#16]
A superficial wipe-down with a dry rag, just enough to make sure no grit adheres to the cases is sufficient to prevent damage to a sizing die. I size and trim before tumbling any brass that requires lubricant for sizing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#17]
All depends on what you are loading. Pistol brass and .223 work perfectly with Hornady One Shot Lube. I clean them first, lube and go. No need to remove the lube after sizing and trimming on .223.

Now if you get into .308 or other rifle calibers. I use a different lube and wipe each case off after sizing and trimming.

ymmv
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#18]
All depends on what you are loading. Pistol brass and .223 work perfectly with Hornady One Shot Lube. I clean them first, lube and go. No need to remove the lube after sizing and trimming on .223.

Now if you get into .308 or other rifle calibers. I use a different lube and wipe each case off after sizing and trimming.

ymmv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top