Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2023 1:15:34 AM EDT
I recently purchased a Daisy 853 air rifle.
    I plan on target shooting between 10 and 20 meters .
    I have very little experience with an air  target type air rifle and need some ideas for getting started with it.
    How often do you clean the bore? What solvent and for that matter what do you use for a .177 cleaning rod?
    What pellets would you guys recommend for accuracy?
    Also I'd like to get a couple of post type front sights for it.
    Is there a particularly  good place to buy air rifle accessories?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If you join an air gun forum like Airgun Nation or Gateway to Airguns, you can get a ton of information from them.  Sometimes you may get a wise ass remark, but just ignore it.

How often do you clean the bore? What solvent and for that matter what do you use for a .177 cleaning rod?

Clean it when you first get it and every 2-400 pellets later or if accuracy drops off.  Go easy with a brush and rod.  Best is to pull a patch through with a solvent like Brake Clean or Goo Gone.  Mineral based cleaners must be evaporated before shooting.  The temperature at the pellet port can get up to 2000 degrees for an instant.  Enough to ignite a flammable solvent.

What pellets would you guys recommend for accuracy?

Some of the best are JSB exact at 8.44 grain for a 177.  Each gun is different, but these pellets are a great start.

Also I'd like to get a couple of post type front sights for it.
   Is there a particularly  good place to buy air rifle accessories?

Pyramyd Air has a wide variety of "stuff."

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are good sources. I'll add these for consideration.

For boning up, pretty much anything by BB Pelletier (Tom Gaylord) is pretty good. He has a series of blogs on Pyramyd Air, and other places.

Hardair Magazine (https://hardairmagazine.com/) seems to have good stuff too.

PN
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure the foam O rings are lubricated. Mine burned up quick and I had to reseal it. Not difficult at all but it was a pin waiting for the parts.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond and help me out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top