Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2019 4:13:20 PM EDT
I recently purchased a TNVC L3 OMNI VIII Gen 3 PVS-14. So I've done I bunch of research but I'm having trouble finding answers to these questions.

1) Is it bad to take the lens caps off in lighted rooms if the unit is turned off? Can a turned off pvs14 be exposed to light without damaging it?

2) What should I use to clean the lenses? Is it ok to use a camera lens pen (carbon) or lens cloth? Is it ok to clean a wet lens? Are there any lens cleaning chemicals I should avoid?

Thanks in advance for any help answering these questions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a TNVC L3 OMNI VIII Gen 3 PVS-14. So I've done I bunch of research but I'm having trouble finding answers to these questions.

1) Is it bad to take the lens caps off in lighted rooms if the unit is turned off? Can a turned off pvs14 be exposed to light without damaging it?

Nope, not at all! You can't damage the tube due to light when there is no battery installed.

2) What should I use to clean the lenses? Is it ok to use a camera lens pen (carbon) or lens cloth? Is it ok to clean a wet lens? Are there any lens cleaning chemicals I should avoid?

It really comes down to personal preference but rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs work great for me. Use very little pressure when cleaning the lenses and used compressed air prior to the cotton swabs if there is any debris or dust. Also, I'm sure a lens pen would be great, just make sure it's clean. Regarding chemicals, I would say avoid pretty much anything and everything minus rubbing alcohol and water to play it safe

View Quote
Congrats on the purchase! See my answers in red
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect! Thanks so much for your help.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Get something to use as a sacrificial lens.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
1) If the unit is switched off, light will not hurt it, not unless you're shining a powerful laser into it or something. I also wouldn't go pointing it at the sun. But otherwise, if inside, and especially if the battery is removed, then there is no problem removing the lens cap. Just check to make sure it's turned off before removing the cap each time to avoid accidents.

2) If you treat it like a camera lens, you'll be fine. You can get lens wipes if you want to have some with you in the field. You can also get lens papers. Anything designed to clean lenses, as fluids go, should usually be fine, unless it comes with warnings about only being useful for a specific type of lens. Your lens is coated glass.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI, you can use a 30mm UV filter meant for cameras on the front as a sacrificial lens. Should be less than $15 and doesn't affect light transmission.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:07:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I would certainly not use any rubbing alcohol, as that could remove lense coatings.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI, you can use a 30mm UV filter meant for cameras on the front as a sacrificial lens. Should be less than $15 and doesn't affect light transmission.
View Quote
where do you find them? every one sell the sacrificial lens for around $35
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The factory sacrificial lens is just friction fit on front and the rear is a weak snap in piece for the screw in eye cup retainer. They come with your unit. If you try to snap your rear lens out you will break it once in place. You have to unscrew the rear eyecup retainer to remove it as it is a semi permanant install. Wilcox makes a nice screw in objective cover with replacable lenses for the front. TNVC sells it. You want it so a daylight filter or sacrifical lens is not an either or situation. Unfortunately, the Wilcox has no threads for anything to screw in on the front of itonce it is screwed in. All camera filters with threads on both sides are of the wrong thread pitch or size so they either dont scew in fully or dont let items screw into them that the PVS14 would normally allow. You can put the daylight filter over the Wilcox though. Perhsps they fekt ut was too weak leveraged out there to allow something to screw in front of like a magnifier or the compass would be too far forward offset etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
You should be able to take the lens cap off in a lighted room with it turned off and exposure to light shouldn't hurt it. That said I wouldn't leave it laying on the counter all day and I wouldn't give it long exposure to direct sunlight. That's been my experience. As far as cleaning, lens cleaning solution should work just fine. I typically use Isopropyl alcohol but I have also used lens cleaning solution with no issue. I've never used a lens pen. When I clean a lens I dust it off first with compressed air, then I use a q tip wetted with alcohol to clean the lens then follow up with dry q tips until there is no residue left. I hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top