Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2018 12:56:15 PM EDT
It's my first thermal. I played with it a tiny bit last night. It was 20* when I was out so I didn't play with it for very long. Shortly after start up, on several different times, the image would freeze just for a fraction of a second, and the image it froze onto would superimpose onto the live image. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, It is auto calibrating. The term for this is a NUC (non-uniformity compensation). It will do it every so often. As the internal temperature in the scope rises it will become less frequent.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, It is auto calibrating. The term for this is a NUC (non-uniformity compensation). It will do it every so often. As the internal temperature in the scope rises it will become less frequent.
View Quote
Thank You!!!   I was a little bit sick about it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The image freezing, along with the audible click is the the thing nucing itself.  It’s part of the normal function .  The superimposed image means that the internal shutter didn’t close all the way .  That’s a sign of mechanical malfunction.  If it did it once I wouldn’t sweat it.  If it did it continually, I don’t remember the exact process on those but you can manually mic them .id turn it on , and nuc it about 50 times. If it’s a mechanical problem it might just be a tiny piece of trash hanging the shutter up .  Or just send it back to whoever you bought it from and tell them you want a new one

If the image stays superimposed, that’s bad.  If I’m misunderstanding, and you have a clean image after the nuc, then you’re fine and disregard what I said.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
RTFM
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The image freezing, along with the audible click is the the thing nucing itself.  It’s part of the normal function .  The superimposed image means that the internal shutter didn’t close all the way .  That’s a sign of mechanical malfunction.  If it did it once I wouldn’t sweat it.  If it did it continually, I don’t remember the exact process on those but you can manually mic them .id turn it on , and nuc it about 50 times. If it’s a mechanical problem it might just be a tiny piece of trash hanging the shutter up .  Or just send it back to whoever you bought it from and tell them you want a new one

If the image stays superimposed, that’s bad.  If I’m misunderstanding, and you have a clean image after the nuc, then you’re fine and disregard what I said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct!  If image is superimposed (aka ghosting) then you’ve got a stuck shutter.  Covering the objective with the lens cap and commanding a NUC should clear the ghost image, at least until in NUC’s the next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top