Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll let them come out but I'd be interested in a blued 357 with walnut stock and forend if the quality is there and the price drops say 200
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they priced them at $500 I'd buy one of each.  At $900 I doubt I'd  buy any of them.  At that price one of the Uberti 1873s seem more attractive.
View Quote

Marlin has a stronger action.

Get both.

Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
So RSR isn't showing any allocation or prices for me.  Davidsons is showing a price of $1,154.00 on the MAR 1894CST 357M TRAPPER SS with 0 available for allocation or sale.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
At the gunshow in des moines last weekend i played with the new 1895 trapper model with the 16 inch barrel in stainless steel with polymer furniture. Was a nice looking, well finished little gun. The skinner sights really set it off too. If i didnt buy a GBL last year id of bought it. Perfect little whitetail gun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a 1895 Trapper a few weeks back so they are out now.  I also would like one of the 1894 SBL in 44 but have not seen any of the new model 1894 yet
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Wonder why they didn't go ahead and thread the 45/70? These pictures have been out for months and months so I am still doubtful we will see the 357's but as usual I hope I am wrong. I will never understand why there is such a big hole in the 357 market and has been as long as I can remember. I am glad Rossi is making guns again but I really want a Marlin now so I can SBR it eventually.

I bought a 1895 recently when grabagun had them cheap. I hope it turns out alright.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wonder why they didn't go ahead and thread the 45/70? These pictures have been out for months and months so I am still doubtful we will see the 357's but as usual I hope I am wrong. I will never understand why there is such a big hole in the 357 market and has been as long as I can remember. I am glad Rossi is making guns again but I really want a Marlin now so I can SBR it eventually.

I bought a 1895 recently when grabagun had them cheap. I hope it turns out alright.
View Quote
I got tired of waiting so SBR'd my Rossi.  If/when Marlin comes out with new stainless models I'll do one of those too.  I have a 1894CSS but don't want to modify it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So RSR isn't showing any allocation or prices for me.  Davidsons is showing a price of $1,154.00 on the MAR 1894CST 357M TRAPPER SS with 0 available for allocation or sale.
View Quote
Thanks.

Maybe I am getting my models mixed up, but the latest American Rifleman features the stainless, big loop 357 with the peep sight and rail, but never mentions the threaded muzzle, and does not appear threaded in the picture?  WTH?  I thought that model was going to come threaded as well?  A lever action suppressor host is what I was after...
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got tired of waiting so SBR'd my Rossi.  If/when Marlin comes out with new stainless models I'll do one of those too.  I have a 1894CSS but don't want to modify it.
https://i.imgur.com/4uKSdDYh.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/4uKSdDYh.jpg
I might SBR mine too. Honestly the drilled and tapped receiver is one of my main motivators for wanting the Marlin. Which rail is that on your Rossi?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I might SBR mine too. Honestly the drilled and tapped receiver is one of my main motivators for wanting the Marlin. Which rail is that on your Rossi?
View Quote
That is the factory rail.  I did a thread about it here: Rossi SBR
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This. Plus one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apparently I'm the only person on the planet that hates big lever loops. I actively seek lever guns without them.
You're not the only one.
This. Plus one.
Must be at least 5 of us. Big levers are
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apparently I'm the only person on the planet that hates big lever loops. I actively seek lever guns without them.
You're not the only one.
This. Plus one.
Why do you guys hate them?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are looks over function imo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are wearing anything other than a thin mechanix type glove it can sure help. Nobody needs the full Huge loop Rifleman style but a little bigger than stock isn’t bad. Couple custom shops make a in between option that isn’t quite as big as the current production guns that seems like a good compromise.

I do like the way they look though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're not the only one.
This. Plus one.
Same here, I can't stand them.  One of my next projects is a Henry Mares Leg 45 SBR with the big loop and I'm going to modify the original or buy a replacement from the factory.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you need to wear cold weather gloves when shooting/hunting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe I am getting my models mixed up, but the latest American Rifleman features the stainless, big loop 357 with the peep sight and rail, but never mentions the threaded muzzle, and does not appear threaded in the picture?  WTH?  I thought that model was going to come threaded as well?  A lever action suppressor host is what I was after...
View Quote
Bumping this question
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Make it at least two. I am thinking folks are buying/wanting the big loop guns because of the "look" . I have shot or handled several of these guns and for the life of me I can't see how one is supposed to smoothly work the lever. You have to move your hand from the normal shooting position and find the far side of the lever to swing it open
and then move your hand back to the near side of the lever to close it. I suppose there must be some sort of technique to smooth it out some but the standard lever just seems to be more natural to me
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love how everyone says “Buy American”, then wants to buy an import because it’s $200 more expensive.

Pay the money for a good quality gun (they are getting better) and keep the money here.  Otherwise we are all gonna end up with AKs as China will run us.

Rant over...
View Quote
I understand what you say and mostly agree but while the statement "they are getting better" has truth to it how far along that trip remains to be seen.

The old school Marlins from North Haven were built in one factory with lots of hand work to fit and finish . As I understand present day parts are made in several different locations scattered across the country then assembled . First guns off the new line were pretty bad back 5 or so years ago when I was helping a buddy in his gun store and most will agree the present guns "are getting better" but overall fit and finish I see recently is usable but not exactly what most people expect from a moderate to high priced gun.

At the very least the prices on these guns will continue to drive the prices on used North Haven JM guns.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bumping this question
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bumping this question
The 1894CSBL has the big loop with the XS lever rail/ghost ring and gray laminate stocks: https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-csbl

The 1894CST has the big loop with XS ghost ring (no rail) and black painted stocks.  This is the one with the threaded barrel: https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-cst
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Where's the new 39a?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where's the new 39a?
View Quote
22 lever guns are everywhere. Everyone wants 357’s
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where's the new 39a?
View Quote
It's custom shop item now, not a regular cataloged one.  And the price is high.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This. Plus one.
View Quote
This. Plus two.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not seeing the appeal what with plenty of JM marked used Marlins out there on the used racks if you are willing to put in the work to find them.

I'm also not convinced with the so-called quality improvements either. Sounds more like paid-off gun writer "barking" to me.

Just today I laid-away a 1960 vintage straight-stocked "Texan" in .30-30 for $275.00.

Like this one:

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not seeing the appeal what with plenty of JM marked used Marlins out there on the used racks if you are willing to put in the work to find them.

I'm also not convinced with the so-called quality improvements either. Sounds more like paid-off gun writer "barking" to me.

Just today I laid-away a 1960 vintage straight-stocked "Texan" in .30-30 for $275.00.

Like this one:

https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/1717090547/12490251/weapons-sale-010.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
View Quote
For something like that 30-30 that's great. They are everywhere so people aren't trying to get crazy money for them. 357's on the other hand are being sold for 3-4 times what you paid for that. There are only 13 Marlin 357's listed on gunbroker right now the cheapest being $800. Nothing fancy for that price either. If they can deliver new manufactured stainless guns with good upgrades for around $1000 they won't have any problem selling them.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/766181058
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765703917

Those are just the first two results of a gunbroker search. The first has 2 days left the second has 4 days left so they will probably both go a bit higher. Then you have fools like this. Tempted to start shooting him offers starting at $400 and going up in $20 increments. There is definitely a market. I do wish they'd drop a bunch of plain guns but when not sell the top level rigs when you make a lot more money on them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Like this one:

https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/1717090547/12490251/weapons-sale-010.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
View Quote
This thread was started by the OP talking about new "pistol caliber" Marlins, not 30/30's.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Like this one:

View Quote
Yeah... Ok.. So lets see the paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:41:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Like this one:

View Quote
If you find me a JM Marlin in 357 in good shape like that for $275, buy it and send it to my FFL, I will pay you another $275 extra just as a finders fee
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll be getting a 1894 CSBL once $$$ is available and getting it threaded.  Yeah, I know they'll have the CST, but I specifically want the pepper laminate and the XS rail, so it'll be cheaper this way.  Disassembling and tuning will be a project for the winter since we all know it'll have burrs and garbage in it.  

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/sites/default/files/styles/mar_catalog_product/public/70433_Marlin-1894CSBL-SS_Order70433_0.png?itok=_L-4qPpK
View Quote
Exactly what I want too.  It's a shame they aren't offering that with a threaded barrel already.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top