Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2022 1:16:57 PM EDT
I found this one at the LGS last week. Something about it called my name and I had to bring it home.

It's a 1972 vintage Foremost Model 6660, which was JC Penny's store name that Marlin produced some Model 60s under.

I paid $175 for it and took it home to clean it up. It was missing the rear sight elevator, and one of the trigger guard bolts was boogered up. A quick visit to Numrich's website got me fixed right up.

It's missing a fair amount of finish on the receiver, front sight, and trigger guard, but the barrel and mag tube are clean and shiny. Bore is decent from what I can tell.

The stock isn't too bad, although the finish is worn through in a few spots.

It has the Oak Leaf stock, but no engraving on the handguard area as I've seen on some others. Not sure if this is a Foremost vs Glenfield thing or what.

After cleaning it up, I took it out back to try a few shots. The trigger did a weird thing where it didn't want to reset after firing about 3 times in the first magazine full and once in the second mag. I had to kind of jiggle the trigger to get it to reset.

After a couple mags, it seemed to smooth right out and now its running beautifully. It has fed, fired, and ejected 100% other than those few oddities with the trigger. I'm thinking the springs may be tired and due for replacement. Anyone tried those MCarbo trigger spring kits?

Something about this rifle is really enjoyable to me. I have a 2002 vintage Model 60 as well, but this older one just feels like a nicer gun with the 18 round capacity and metal trigger guard.

I find myself sneaking out back often just to throw a few mags through it and slap some steel plates. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but man is it fun to shoot.

So far I've only run 36 grain Federal bulk ammo through it but I'll be trying some others soon.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one I picked up for sixty dollars! He needed to pay a bill. I even offered to loan him the money. It looks much plainer than yours but they do shoot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Great find. Those old Model 60s are great.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one I picked up for sixty dollars! He needed to pay a bill. I even offered to loan him the money. It looks much plainer than yours but they do shoot.
View Quote

Nice. I'm going to keep my eyes open for deals on these rifles going forward. There are lots of neat variations to collect.

I bought my other Model 60 in 2002 new for $104 at Gander Mountain. It has the 22" barrel, but the shorter mag tube and the plastic trigger housing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

They sure are! So much fun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, the Glenfield I (Mom) bought at K-Mart in '79 or thereabouts had squirrels stamped into the wood. I could be mis-remembering, that was a long time ago. My best friend had an identical one. We'd put brick after brick through them, clean them when they stopped working (not very often).
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IIRC, the Glenfield I (Mom) bought at K-Mart in '79 or thereabouts had squirrels stamped into the wood. I could be mis-remembering, that was a long time ago. My best friend had an identical one. We'd put brick after brick through them, clean them when they stopped working (not very often).
View Quote

Yep. The squirrel stock was the standard for the Glenfield models for quite a few years.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. I got one in a trade with a bunch of old firearms it was furry orange rusty on one side like it had been stored on a damp carpet but it shoots like a dream.

I cleaned it and knocked the rust off with oil and steel wool and it’s 100% reliable with all .22 ammo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably the best mass produced .22lr ever. I bought one at age 16 and have enjoyed it for 30 years now.

Couldn't tell you how many boxes of bulk 22 it's fitted and it's still a very accurate weapon of mass destruction on squirrels.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Agreed. I got one in a trade with a bunch of old firearms it was furry orange rusty on one side like it had been stored on a damp carpet but it shoots like a dream.

I cleaned it and knocked the rust off with oil and steel wool and it’s 100% reliable with all .22 ammo.
View Quote

Finding old, neglected guns and bringing them back to life is extremely satisfying.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably the best mass produced .22lr ever. I bought one at age 16 and have enjoyed it for 30 years now.

Couldn't tell you how many boxes of bulk 22 it's fitted and it's still a very accurate weapon of mass destruction on squirrels.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
My favorite woods walking .22.  I need to add a scope to mine as my eyes are getting worse.  Hopefully Ruger brings them back along with parts, especially the recoil springs and buffers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. The squirrel stock was the standard for the Glenfield models for quite a few years.
View Quote

Just inherited a Glenfield 60 from my dad a few months ago.
Like new condition,I mean this thing looks like it was fired 50 yrs ago and put away. Dated it to 1972.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Marlins are my favorite .22s such good shooters, I like to swap out the rear irons for a marbles bullseye sight, it’s a cheap upgrade for these rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top