Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2021 11:10:08 AM EDT
Finally picking up my Colt m16a1 today. Super excited. My gun is in decent condition and looks to be shot very little. Really wanting to replace the 2 position buffer tube. It looks like its been removed at least once and restaked in the past. Has original spanner wrench nut on it. Kinda nervous to be working on RR now. Was thinking of getting the Geissele tube extension block and ensuring everything is done carefully. Is it worth doing or just leave the 2 positive on and deal with it? Putting in a new buffer and spring as well. Anything else I should do before shooting it? The A5 buffer system seems appealing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it’s a good idea to run the gun as is to check it out before making changes.  Then maybe try different buffer weights especially if you have different uppers with different gas lengths, etc.  

The POF buffer tube is a nice conventional carbine buffer with extra support around and made of strong 7075 aluminum.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Will try it stock with a few uppers and see. I prefer a shorter length of pull so the 2 position stock is just a bit long for my taste. It has an unmarked grey colored buffer so I don't know if this is equivalent to a modern carbine buffer. I have H1 and H2 to swap in as needed and I will for sure put in a new recoil spring just reliability concerns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Like KalmanPhilter said.. run it and get different weights.

I also bought some KNS pins for anti rolling of the pins. Debating on getting the sear version too.

I believe I changed my buffer tube to a LMT buffer tube. Not very pretty but it is a reliable tube.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Do the A5 with a tubb flatwire spring, and A5 H2 buffer.  You wont regret it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My tube had been removed also when I received mine so it was an easy decision.

I stripped mine and installed all brand new Colt parts with a G SSF trigger.

I sent a few new Colt M4 uppers and tube over to US Anodizong and they matched my lower. So my new 4 position tube looks like it came factory.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My tube had been removed also when I received mine so it was an easy decision.

I stripped mine and installed all brand new Colt parts with a G SSF trigger.

I sent a few new Colt M4 uppers and tube over to US Anodizong and they matched my lower. So my new 4 position tube looks like it came factory.
View Quote

What uppers did you get anodized? A2 uppers?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do the A5 with a tubb flatwire spring, and A5 H2 buffer.  You wont regret it.
View Quote
+1, but would go with the Kynshot RB5007 and it will be one of the smoothest full auto 556 setups you have tried.  However, try it stock first so you can compare the difference.
Also, I would go with a ratcheting castle nut so you won't have to deal with staking.
Several options here: https://aimsurplus.com/parts/ar-parts/castle-nuts/
I use the PWS ones.
I would also get a castle nut wrench that engages all 4 notches at the same time like this one:

Then hold the extension instead of the receiver so you don't put any stress on your lower.  Worst case you damage the extension and not the lower.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
My gun still has the old colt 2 spanned notch castle on it so will need the right tool. I also don’t think that style of nut is as stable as the newer notched ones to work on. I’ll shoot it a bit and decide. Maybe all the more reason to get a RDIAS eventually too. :) just excited to finally have it. Shame the castle nut is gouged up. Rest of the gun is very nice condition and all original.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then hold the extension instead of the receiver so you don't put any stress on your lower.  Worst case you damage the extension and not the lower.
View Quote

The Geissele reaction block works great for this, although pricey.

https://geissele.com/reaction-block-ar15-m4-mil-spec-buffer-tube-only.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I would like to get that G block but its sold out everywhere. Fully extended with N1 stock isn't bad. I usually run stock 1 or 2 notches out so maybe get a magpul stock with some spacers would probably give me close to the length of pull while closed I prefer.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top