Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 4/18/2018 12:16:43 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I just fulfilled a lifelong goal and bought an Colt M16 (sorry for no pics, I don’t have possession yet). It is currently wearing an A2 buttstock. I would like to eventually run 10.5”, 14.5”, 16” and a 9mm SMG uppers on it, both suppressed and not. Does anyone know if there is a buffer weight (or system - A5 or hydraulic) that might work with most or all of these setups? I’m hoping to not be exchanging buffers during range trips. Appreciate the advice and excited to post pics once I have them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The A5 will work with 5.56 uppers from 10.5 to 20".  Not sure about the 9mm though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I use an H1 Buffer in mine, it runs most of the uppers just fine. On the few I have issues with such as a lightweight BCG setup I use an adjustable gas blocks on the upper to reduce the gas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're willing to keep the full length A2 buttstock on it, that'll run pretty much anything, except the open-bolt LMG system. It's only on telestocks with the shorter carbine buffer tube and spring that I've ever had to juggle buffer weights to keep things running.

If you must have a shorter buffer and stock, the A5 reportedly is almost as solid across calibers as the rifle stock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow. Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I’ll looking at the vltor A5 seriously - I don’t think I want the A2 on it forever.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
An H2 buffer should work with all 5.56 uppers but the 9mm upper will need a 9mm-specific buffer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I love the Enidine hydraulic units, I've run both their CAR & full rifle buffer.

Functions great with 5.56, 7.62x39 and 9mm with a noticeable improvement in smoothness and a slight reduction in ROF.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top