Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2022 9:59:43 PM EDT
I just got this New Old Stock Springfield Armory Receiver / Bolt and plan on doing a semi custom build. For some reason I really like these SA M1 Carbine receivers.  I’ve contacted Fulton Armory and they are going to install a new Chrome Lined Criterion Barrel and properly head space it for me. I’m hoping they might go ahead an install the barrel band and front sight but if not I will on it’s return.

I’ll start getting my other parts together and document the process. I have a New Old Stock SA Trigger Housing so I may start searching for SA M1 Carbine parts to complete this build.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I built 2 carbines from a couple Springfield Armory receivers and some great condition parts kits.
They turned out so well, were completely reliable and accurate that I ended up selling my 2 WW2 M1 Carbines.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
What serial number range are your receivers ? What barrels did you use?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ll have to check tomorrow when I’m home.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]
SWEET

I would imagine Fulton would install the front sight and barrel band while they install the new barrel.

What's your "semi-custom" plans........I hear that on M1 Carbines and visions of this come to mind

That just ain't right Fulton still has it getting de-Bubba'd
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#5]
My “Semi custom” will be as close to 100% SA parts that I can locate with the FA Match barrel !!!! It will look just like a M1 carbine should ??
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My “Semi custom” will be as close to 100% SA parts that I can locate with the FA Match barrel !!!! It will look just like a M1 carbine should ??
View Quote

That's a sigh of relief

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
After this, I’m checking myself into the M1-aholics program to quit buying or building these damn addictive rifles !!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
After this, I’m checking myself into the M1-aholics program to quit buying or building these damn addictive rifles !!!!
View Quote

Tell me about it And now there are 2 M1 Garands in the house, and I'm telling myself when I get the gun fund back up if I see a nice "service" grade one for sale I should get it since both of those are CMP Expert models.

I don't think we'll find any sponsors this forum Just fellow addicts  
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  SWEET

I would imagine Fulton would install the front sight and barrel band while they install the new barrel.

What's your "semi-custom" plans........I hear that on M1 Carbines and visions of this come to mind

https://images34.fotki.com/v1633/photos/9/4114449/16422201/photo2-vi.jpg

View Quote

That's a pretty rifle.  Someone put some time into that, just needs drilling & tapping for a scope mount w/ that stock.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a nice M1 Carbine built off a SA M1 Carbine receiver and all US GI parts. Wish I had 2 or 3 more
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a pretty rifle.  Someone put some time into that, just needs drilling & tapping for a scope mount w/ that stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  SWEET

https://images34.fotki.com/v1633/photos/9/4114449/16422201/photo2-vi.jpg

No drilling for scopes. Outside of jeweling the bolt it's a standard M1 Carbine.

It was also the best shape USGI I ever bought, barrel gauged .05 on my CMP gauge. That's the main reason I want it back to USGI spec, it'll become a heirloom gun
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
How does the cost compare of building a rifle and buying one?

I kind of want to do an M1A1 clone but I’m cheap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honest, it's probably cheaper to buy one and get a repro Para stock than building one. I wanted a M1A1 clone myself and stalked Gunbroker for months until I saw this

Don't ask what I paid, you'll hate me for it :)
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Honest, it's probably cheaper to buy one and get a repro Para stock than building one. I wanted a M1A1 clone myself and stalked Gunbroker for months until I saw this

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice.

I paid $1,800 for my only carbine and I’m not willing to spend anywhere near that for another one, I guess I’m out of luck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Very nice.

I paid $1,800 for my only carbine and I’m not willing to spend anywhere near that for another one, I guess I’m out of luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice.

Just get a Paratrooper stock and swap around between them. Or keep a eye on the EE and see if one comes up at a price you would pay for one. $1800 is high for a Carbine IMO depending where you are
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah…. DonFlynn basically stole a damn nice $1500 gun for nothing. Pretty sure get could have put a GI stock and bolt and it was back to awesome GI issue shape
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never handled a SA carbine, I suppose they are one of the better commercial made receivers?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just get a Paratrooper stock and swap around between them. Or keep a eye on the EE and see if one comes up at a price you would pay for one. $1800 is high for a Carbine IMO depending where you are
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice.

I may do that.

It was one of the MidwayUSA VG-fine Winchesters. I’m happy with it, but even with all the early parts I know I overpaid.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah…. DonFlynn basically stole a damn nice $1500 gun for nothing. Pretty sure get could have put a GI stock and bolt and it was back to awesome GI issue shape
View Quote

I'm just hoping FA can refinish the bolt on Bubba. That was pure luck being Xmas week on Gunbroker. Right now the plan is using a Numrich stock while it's at FA for the repark, then look for a Inland stock reasonable price or use a Boyd's I have finished here on it. That'll depend on how I like shooting the Paratrooper FA Carbine tomorrow.......it's FINALLY going to the range tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]
They are my favorite receivers, just for the name and quality, but I “ believe” these and Fulton Armory are and were made by LMT out of Forged Steel.

I believe SA was going to produce a commercial rifle in 1997 but determined the cost wasn’t going to be profitable. After a handful of rifles went out the just sold the receivers and people built their on rifles on them.

I currently have an SA receiver /rifle that is the lowest serial number currently reported or so it seems…. Regardless it’s a Super nice rifle !!

Quoted:
I have never handled a SA carbine, I suppose they are one of the better commercial made receivers?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Springfield Armory offered two runs of M1 Carbine receivers.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_springfield.html

The 1st run were cast receivers, similar to what was offered by other commercial manufactures at the time.

The 2nd, more desirable and what the OP has were made by LMT using forged receivers and were considered "USGI" spec. Their sought after by Carbine builders as the equal to USGI ones. Fulton Armory used the same supplier for their Carbines, which are considered equal to USGI production Carbines
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice.

Honest, at that time those were the best deal in town for a 1st time Carbine. Hard core nuts like myself and M60E4 always have our eye's open for deals. That FA paratrooper for example, I posted it here to give people a chance for 3-4 days before I talked myself into it (and beat M60E4 by a hair IIRR ).

I may do that.

It was one of the MidwayUSA VG-fine Winchesters. I’m happy with it, but even with all the early parts I know I overpaid.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/983120

I was planning on getting this for "Bubba" when FA finishes the repark. Still might, it'll depend on how I like shooting the Para tomorrow when I hit the range

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I built 2 carbines from a couple Springfield Armory receivers and some great condition parts kits.
They turned out so well, were completely reliable and accurate that I ended up selling my 2 WW2 M1 Carbines.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1241/5B008D66-2BA9-41A0-964B-75076CCECF76_jpe-2357403.JPG
View Quote

I love that bottom stock
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are both forged receivers, serial numbers SC 129XX & SC 128XX.
The kits I bought were excellent condition but definitely not original as the barrels are dated SA 11 51 & SA 8 51.
I was never looking for any collector value just wanted the best parts to build the best shooting guns I could build.
I’ve only ever shot them at a 25 yard indoor range but I was very happy with the accuracy and both have been 100% reliable.

I have a Sarco M1 Carbine folding paratrooper stock that I had briefly installed on one of these rifles but wasn’t totally happy with it so I put the original stock back on.

I don’t miss my WW2 original carbines at all, eventually sold both of them for $1,000 each, while building both of these 2 Springfield Armory carbines in 1998-1999 cost me less than $750 including receivers and parts kits.

The receivers used to sell for $125 each, what a bargain, wish I’d bought 10 of them. Of course forget about buying reasonably priced parts kits today.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Way cool with the SA barrels though !!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I love that bottom stock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1241/5B008D66-2BA9-41A0-964B-75076CCECF76_jpe-2357403.JPG

I love that bottom stock

I actually prefer the top slimmer stock than the bottom “pot bellied” stock for shooting. Slimmer stock is more comfortable to hold while shooting. It does have nice color to it though as opposed to the dark color of the top stock.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Way cool with the SA barrels though !!!!
View Quote

It is cool trying to get as many SA parts as possible but back then I seem to recall the really hard thing was finding Winchester parts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I've built 4 SA Inc carbines...need to dig them out now!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Don,

I didn’t really like my A1 stock. Damn things are too uncomfortable and the swing out stock isn’t firm. I kept mine for the looks only. The wood sticks are no doubt the perfect stocks as far as comfort ….. and looks !!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don,

I didn’t really like my A1 stock. Damn things are too uncomfortable and the swing out stock isn’t firm. I kept mine for the looks only. The wood sticks are no doubt the perfect stocks as far as comfort ….. and looks !!!!
View Quote

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I did not enjoy shooting the FA Para today on it's range test and think the wobble caused 1 FTF me messing with it. I'll post results on that after I eat my Chinese food here in a bit.

I do know 1st chance I get I'll grab a stock from FA and finish it out, or use the 1 I'm saving for Bubba and swap around this summer when FA gets done with its repark
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Who makes the best A1 stocks?

I’m thinking about getting one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right now the only game in town are the Numrich models I linked. I believe their made in Italy, they used M1a1 stocks on their Carbines and made them when they couldn't get US supplied ones
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they are not the nicest commercial receivers out there, they have got to be close. GI parts fit just like they would on a GI receiver.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Right now the only game in town are the Numrich models I linked. I believe their made in Italy, they used M1a1 stocks on their Carbines and made them when they couldn't get US supplied ones
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops, missed that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  If they are not the nicest commercial receivers out there, they have got to be close. GI parts fit just like they would on a GI receiver.
View Quote

I mean, that was also true of early Universals, all Plainfields, most of the other clone carbines...
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I mean, that was also true of early Universals, all Plainfields, most of the other clone carbines...
View Quote

My statement was not meant to imply otherwise.

My point was that SAI Inc Carbine receivers are really nice/highly regarded and that GI parts fit them fine, not that GI parts fit them fine, but other Commercial receivers have issues with GI parts, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  My statement was not meant to imply otherwise.

My point was that SAI Inc Carbine receivers are really nice/highly regarded and that GI parts fit them fine, not that GI parts fit them fine, but other Commercial receivers have issues with GI parts, etc.
View Quote

I am particularly disappointed in the Kahr Arms/Auto Ordnance.  It would've cost them noting more to build a fully parts compatible carbine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Auto Ordnance and "New" Inland fall into this category. Their bolts and receivers differ from USGI specs so you can't use a A/O bolt on a USGI spec gun and vice versa.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am particularly disappointed in the Kahr Arms/Auto Ordnance.  It would've cost them noting more to build a fully parts compatible carbine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  My statement was not meant to imply otherwise.

I was just disappointed with A/O Kahr's in general. I had 1 in 2007 that was a POS, spent most of the warranty period going back to A/O to fix feed issues. All they would do is cut up perfectly good USGI mags I would send in that worked on my other carbines.

I've passed on cheap A/O's ever since. I could have bought a NIB one 2020 for $499 on a sale and bought a use 1966 production Plainfield instead with no regrets.  

Kahr screwed up when they copied the USGI Carbine they measured for their guide, they made the bolt longer but screwed up and kept the chamber USGI length. Their "fix" is reaming the chamber to fit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread reminds me, pretty sure I have an SA M2 stock somewhere.

I need to look for it now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

This thread reminds me, I can’t find 30 carbine ammo.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#42]
And send it to me !!!!!!!

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And send it to me !!!!!!!

View Quote

Shoot me an email later this week to remind to look for it this weekend. If I still have it we can work something out
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Awesome …. Thanks so much
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#45]
So my receiver and bolt are on their way to Fulton Armory to get the barrel installed.

I pulled my 2 Fulton Armory Trigger Groups and I built up my SA Trigger Group for my new build. I got a gunsmith buddy who did some work on them to lighten them up and smooth them out.

Fulton Armory ( Rock-ola marked)

Fulton Armory ( un marked )

Springfield Armory

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So my receiver and bolt are on their way to Fulton Armory to get the barrel installed.

I pulled my 2 Fulton Armory Trigger Groups and I built up my SA Trigger Group for my new build. I got a gunsmith buddy who did some work on them to lighten them up and smooth them out.

Fulton Armory ( Rock-ola marked)

https://i.imgur.com/nzKaHvW.jpg

Fulton Armory ( un marked )

https://i.imgur.com/TSoR5Au.jpg

Springfield Armory

https://i.imgur.com/qoabyIJ.jpg
View Quote

Smooth
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Found the stock. If you shoot me an email I can send you more pics.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Got my call from Fulton Armory today and my receiver and bolt arrived safe and sound. The are going to install a Chrome Lined Barrel, front and rear sight, type 3 band, and gas piston.

I also received by SA stock from NoMoAmmo…. Stock is great with some character to boot. I started my own BLO and hand rubbing regiment.

My trigger housing is assembled with SA housing, SA trigger, SA hammer…. I also have an SA slide. Just missing an SA mag catch.

If any of you M1aholics have any SA parts you’d like to part with please let me know. !!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got my call from Fulton Armory today and my receiver and bolt arrived safe and sound. The are going to install a Chrome Lined Barrel, front and rear sight, type 3 band, and gas piston.

I also received by SA stock from NoMoAmmo…. Stock is great with some character to boot. I started my own BLO and hand rubbing regiment.

My trigger housing is assembled with SA housing, SA trigger, SA hammer…. I also have an SA slide. Just missing an SA mag catch.

https://i.imgur.com/WkTCsm4.jpg

If any of you M1aholics have any SA parts you’d like to part with please let me know. !!!
View Quote

Cool
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted: My trigger housing is assembled with SA housing, SA trigger, SA hammer…. I also have an SA slide. Just missing an SA mag catch.

https://i.imgur.com/WkTCsm4.jpg

View Quote

How is your SA hammer marked?

Do you have an SA TIII sear? Unmarked from what I can remember, but identifiable by the machining on the nose.

When I built up my SA trigger group, the only way I was able to determine that I had a SA made magazine catch was to take it out of the sealed package. It is not marked to indicate who made it.

Are you going to look for an SA TIII barrel band with the bayonet lug for your Fulton barrel?  

I can't remember if SA made front sights at the moment, but they made milled rear sights for sure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top