Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is a neat idea, but as the person above mentioned, if the vis laser isn't slaved with the IR, it greatly diminishes the value.
View Quote

Sure, if you’re lazy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That is a neat idea, but as the person above mentioned, if the vis laser isn't slaved with the IR, it greatly diminishes the value.
View Quote
yes and no. sighting in an IR laser is a bit of a pain but once its done its done. the vis laser even if not daylight bright allows you to train at night or indoors without wearing your nods. or in weird positions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
So, I guess no one got one of the first run modules here?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I honestly don’t see the added advantage of paying more for a vis laser.  Maybe I’m missing something.

If you have NV you pretty much NEED/WANT an IR illuminator and IR laser and a white light is basically a necessity on a night gun too.  But a visible laser?

The only scenarios I can think of is a vis laser lets someone shoot from very unconventional positions during daytime (from retention while clearing doorways, from the hip or through extra tight wall holes).  I don’t think those eventualities justify a cost increase for the civilian NV market this product targets. And even then, a visible laser is not really good for mid or longer ranges.  Most legal red/green lasers wash out and become basically impossible to track beyond 100yds.  Even a low power 0.7mW legal laser under NODs will reach out 300+ yards
View Quote

My take on it is easy of zeroing during the day time assuming their coaligned.

My exp on some teams was to use a visible laser for clears in addition to white light, helps quickly ID friendly forces exiting areas / joining up with others (Same could occur with a white light too mind you)

And lastly, because all other major laser devices also have a visible laser. MAWL, PEQ, Dbal a2, a3, d2, etc, hell even the CQBL has a vis laser.

I don't design lasers, I just use them, but I feel like the addition of a vis laser wouldn't increase the price point too much.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got the email. Wish I had the funds. Might wait for the 3
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I think they shot themselves in the foot a bit by announcing the 3 releases in less than three months, is fully CNC, and can run 6v heads.  That, or they know they have limited CTF-2 and will sell out regardless.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, gonna bet they are working on a more robust release of the 3 and are going to release  small batches to keep interest up/make some money off currently purchased supplies/parts.

Anyways, total bummer.  Given how these things go it won't be until spring or summer of next year. Need to ask them if the zbolt IR head work fine, or if it's just the high power wl having issues.

Wonder what the price hike will look like....
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, I think they shot themselves in the foot a bit by announcing the 3 releases in less than three months, is fully CNC, and can run 6v heads.  That, or they know they have limited CTF-2 and will sell out regardless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing that really excites me is the colors.

A) AlSi10Mg Aluminum (ie: DMLS printed aluminum) when properly stress relieved and heat treated is basically on par with 6061-T6.  AlSi10Mg can even be welded and machined all the same, too.  So being a machined part isn’t that much of an advantage over the CTF1 & 2 unless they go full send and use 7075AL or something exotic.

B) 6v options open up more heads, but really only on the white side.  The Kiji is pretty much already tops as far as civilian illuminators are concerned and the E1HT is a very capable midrange white light with 23k candela (pretty tight throw good for 100-150yds).  I feel like the CTF form factor and controls really makes it an SBR-idealized unit … and the E1HT is an excellent SBR light.  Maybe if I were equipping a 16-18” recce or spr I’d considering holding out for a CTF3 with 6v white heads.  But for SBRs and PCCs, 6v options wouldn’t be worth a premium to me.

C) I don’t think colors are enough of a carrot to get me to wait.  It shouldn’t be hard to paint.  It’d be nice if he gave expected prices for the CTF3, or at least stated a bit more/less/same.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only thing that really excites me is the colors.

A) AlSi10Mg Aluminum (ie: DMLS printed aluminum) when properly stress relieved and heat treated is basically on par with 6061-T6.  AlSi10Mg can even be welded and machined all the same, too.  So being a machined part isn't that much of an advantage over the CTF1 & 2 unless they go full send and use 7075AL or something exotic.

B) 6v options open up more heads, but really only on the white side.  The Kiji is pretty much already tops as far as civilian illuminators are concerned and the E1HT is a very capable midrange white light with 23k candela (pretty tight throw good for 100-150yds).  I feel like the CTF form factor and controls really makes it an SBR-idealized unit   and the E1HT is an excellent SBR light.  Maybe if I were equipping a 16-18" recce or spr I'd considering holding out for a CTF3 with 6v white heads.  But for SBRs and PCCs, 6v options wouldn't be worth a premium to me.

C) I don't think colors are enough of a carrot to get me to wait.  It shouldn't be hard to paint.  It'd be nice if he gave expected prices for the CTF3, or at least stated a bit more/less/same.
View Quote
Yep, SBR for me (honeybadger, maybe others if I really like the unit) and the discount for the Kiji ($250 off, so a $600 Kiji) and Malkoff (maybe -$25 or so), meaning the housing is "really" ~$425, as I already want the heads (and already have a kiji 10* and a couple E1HTs). So in perspective, still a buy for me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm just getting into the nvg game and equipping my primary 11.5" rifle.  I'm really torn between the ex ir 250 and spending the extra coin on the kiji.

For an 11.5" rifle, is the kiji going to be over powered for that particular platform?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Just went live, my auto reloader did the trick, added to cart and alerted me to complete purchase. Got the top bundle, $20 shipping, not bad.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the notice!

I opted for the exir 250 and malkoff e1ht.

Very excited for this product and nvg to arrive in the next week!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Got one. CTF2 with the white light option, since I already have an Arisaka IR250 head. I agree $20 to ship ain’t bad at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Switching to CNC means they can source the work out to more places, and you can mill a chunk of aluminum a lot faster than you can 3D print metal.  Should mean they can produce more, and at a lower cost, the downside being a bit more weight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Lame.  All OOS as of a few minutes ago.

What… did they have like 10 in stock?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn I missed it. I'm sure the the redditors bought it up quick.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#18]
yeah limiting it to 3v is a deal killer imo. why? so they are saying we cant run li-ion 16340? I run single li-ion on all my 6v stuff and it runs great. I am assuming the 3v unit wont run 4.2v heads?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#19]
It has an onboard laser it has to power that too and not just the light heads need accounted for.  850nm direct diodes run forward voltages in the 1.75 range; so it’s likely using a buck driver.  Hopefully not something as basic as an LM317/linear driver.

Perhaps the laser driver can’t handle much more than 3V without creating excessive heat?  Heat produced in down-coverting DC-DC drivers is usually proportional to the dV you’re producing… the most efficient conversion is going to be inputting a voltage near to the Vf drop of the driver circuit; and Vf is usually pretty small.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i like the initiative. but at some point in front of some white board, the good idea fairy decided to try to jam too many things into the package. Just make an IR laser/illuminator. Call it good. If it's quality, you'll sell a ton.

The market isn't starving for effective white lights. In fact, I imagine their offering won't replace my modlites, so now I have to pay money and extra weight for a feature that not only isn't useful, but due to the button placement, actually puts me at risk of white light NDs... for no reason.
View Quote

So just don't install a white light module?. The unit is an IR laser and two sockets for accessory modules.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So just don't install a white light module?. The unit is an IR laser and two sockets for accessory modules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i like the initiative. but at some point in front of some white board, the good idea fairy decided to try to jam too many things into the package. Just make an IR laser/illuminator. Call it good. If it's quality, you'll sell a ton.

The market isn't starving for effective white lights. In fact, I imagine their offering won't replace my modlites, so now I have to pay money and extra weight for a feature that not only isn't useful, but due to the button placement, actually puts me at risk of white light NDs... for no reason.

Or wait for Zbolt’s IR LAM coming out soon.  Focusable LED IR illuminator (D2-style, like Zbolt heads do) and an IR or IR/Green lasers. It’s on thier webpage and looks pretty slick. Like a slightly smaller DBAL-D2

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or wait for Zbolt’s IR LAM coming out soon.  Focusable LED IR illuminator (D2-style, like Zbolt heads do) and an IR or IR/Green lasers. It’s on thier webpage and looks pretty slick. Like a slightly smaller DBAL-D2
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link?
View Quote

Z-Bolt Website

Z-Bolt IR Illuminators

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.z-bolt.com/assets/images/web-back-switch-plate.jpg
View Quote

Curious how well these are built to handle recoil. For the price I sure hope they'd be!

Website and video are interesting though!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By @Scott-S6

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @Scott-S6
Quoted:

Holy out of context Batman!

When i posted what you quoted, there wasn't the ability to install different heads.

That quote was from a year ago in response to the original release, which had fixed heads that you couldn't change.

And the white light option sucked.

Try replying to stuff said in 2022... Your reply might actually be relevant!

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine came in today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#27]
@tctlrld
Can you measure the length and width without the heads attached?
Just curious as to the size.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@tctlrld
Can you measure the length and width without the heads attached?
Just curious as to the size.
Thanks!
View Quote

4" L x 3 1/8" W
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

4" L x 3 1/8" W
View Quote
Awesome, smaller than I though.
Thanks man!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Gets pics on a rifle from all angles.

Open the top plate… let’s get a look inside.

Oh, and just know that all of us who missed out on round 1 hate you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Curious how well these are built to handle recoil. For the price I sure hope they'd be!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.z-bolt.com/assets/images/web-back-switch-plate.jpg

Sadly, I would be very shocked to see the ACAL come out any time soon.  I think it would be a miracle at this point if the ACAL was released in 2022 or even Q1 of 2023.  I base this assessment on two different exchanges I had via Instagram DMs with Z-Bolt and observation that they have not teased anything about the ACAL on Instagram for months now, but hope I'm wrong. Would love to be wrong and see the ACAL come out soon, it looks very promising.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Switching to CNC means they can source the work out to more places, and you can mill a chunk of aluminum a lot faster than you can 3D print metal.  Should mean they can produce more, and at a lower cost, the downside being a bit more weight.
View Quote
DMLS printing can actually be quite fast when used for production instead of one-off prototyping, a printer can print several at a time on the print bed.  You just jigsaw the pieces to fit as many in the print area and it does them all at once layer by layer.It slows the print down but it’s churning out more per cycle.  For example, assuming the print direction is axial on the CTF2, a shop with an EOS M-300-4 printer could churn out ten bodies at a time on its 300x300mm print bed - and uses 4 independent lasers simultaneously so it’s pretty quick.

A CNC machine can only do one at a time, but usually does it quick.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
DMLS printing can actually be quite fast when used for production instead of one-off prototyping, a printer can print several at a time on the print bed.  You just jigsaw the pieces to fit as many in the print area and it does them all at once layer by layer.It slows the print down but it’s churning out more per cycle.  For example, assuming the print direction is axial on the CTF2, a shop with an EOS M-300-4 printer could churn out ten bodies at a time on its 300x300mm print bed - and uses 4 independent lasers simultaneously so it’s pretty quick.

A CNC machine can only do one at a time, but usually does it quick.
View Quote

Not like it matters that much, but CNC milling machines often fixture multiple parts at a time. This obviously isn't always the case, but for manufacturing production parts in large quantities, it can be helpful and reduce cycle times.

I've always been skeptical of additive manufacturing, but lately I have been super impressed with it (printing some nylon parts as we speak).
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Heads up.
Phantom hill says the next sales batch will be Oct. 2nd.
He opened sales approx 20 mins after the starting of the time frame he gave in the email.
Good luck to those who didn't get in on the first batch.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm leaving for a weekend of carbine classes tomorrow so I don't want to mount it hastily to my go to rifle.. These photos will have to suffice for now!

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm leaving for a weekend of carbine classes tomorrow so I don't want to mount it hastily to my go to rifle.. These photos will have to suffice for now!

https://i.imgur.com/faRPdJ8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/F5x5ohU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Q2dCpez.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QHQ82G6.jpg
View Quote

That actually looks pretty cool IMO. Looks like you've been doing some serious shooting too w that carbon buildup on Muzzle device!

Spoke w Mike today who told me how fast they sold out. Of course I already knew from you guys on this thread.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#37]
If anyone is interested in a comparison between the Arisaka e1ht and the Cloud micro rein 1.0.. Here you go. I'm very surprised at how well the Arisaka performs.

Spill is better on the Cloud and I prefer the warmer colors. However I don't think I would feel in the dark with only the Arisaka..

The small tree in the cone of the light is roughly 75 yards. Trees are spaced roughly 20 yards apart (for spill reference).

Cloud Rein 1.0

Arisaka E1HT (3v)

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If anyone is interested in a comparison between the Arisaka e1ht and the Cloud micro rein 1.0.. Here you go. I'm very surprised at how well the Arisaka performs.

Spill is better on the Cloud and I prefer the warmer colors. However I don't think I would feel in the dark with only the Arisaka..

The small tree in the cone of the light is roughly 75 yards. Trees are spaced roughly 20 yards apart (for spill reference).

Cloud Rein 1.0

https://i.imgur.com/huV3NJi.jpg

Arisaka E1HT (3v)

https://i.imgur.com/AsiQA6f.jpg

View Quote

Are you able to compare these with the CTF2?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Thats the Arisaka E1ht head on the Phantom Hill unit.

Nods are in the mail, will get pictures of the IR stuff at a later date!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#40]
duplicate
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Swear to god i thought you were riding a bear based on that shadow
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Why people not post pics!!!

got mine in, big fan, I have got to dye the buttons though. I'll get another one, probably with just the malkoff ir head.

before:

After:

22lr:

mini-fix with all the VCSEL

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#43]
When (if?) I can get one, I’m waffling between Kiji/E1HT or Kiji/M300v heads.

The E1HT is a great little light. Good throw.

But the m300v pairing would give me instant flood IR, so it would be like having a long range and short range IR mode, with white light just a twist away.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#44]

[derail] what A3 style collapsible stock is that on the AR22? [rerail]

Nice looking gizmo. If I could do the thumb over grip to fire top mounted buttons I'd probably give a go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I love how small it is! Looks like a great system, but I HATE the color of those buttons. Goodness, those stick out like a sore thumb. I don't have any experience with dying rubber, but I think I'd take my chances with dye.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

[derail] what A3 style collapsible stock is that on the AR22? [rerail]

Nice looking gizmo. If I could do the thumb over grip to fire top mounted buttons I'd probably give a go.
View Quote
It is a Nordic components stock that is way out of production. Took me like 2 years to find it and i think I paid HK A3 money for it as I recall.

looking forward to the CTF-3 or another CTF-2. So far so good. Build quality is really nice, crisp machining, the laser module looks solid, thick glass or whatever. Tossed a little grease on the o-rings.

pelican case is a nice touch.

hate the color of the buttons as well, time to take apart the new toy and try and dye them.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Big sad that I missed out on this.

I'll get this, and likely a CTF-3 for a different gun.

Really hope they change their minds and put a VIS laser on the 3.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Does anyone know if the zbolt IR heads are supposed to be OK for the ctf2?   I know the white light isn't...

No reply when emailing phantom hill.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the zbolt IR heads are supposed to be OK for the ctf2?   I know the white light isn't...

No reply when emailing phantom hill.
View Quote

I didn’t think zbolt makes a 3v head do they? I thought they were all 18650/18350 (4.2v).

CTF2 runs the CR123 in parallel @ 3v.  If they are truly run in parallel you’d have 3000mAh total so if the zbolts could tolerate 3v the twin CR123And should able to handle the load.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#50]
New batch tomorrow between 7pm and 10pm EST.

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top