Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is getting real...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY-VfRrrZa7/
View Quote

Very nice, I hope they offer some upgrade for early adopters with the ability to upgrade to this new body type.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The CTF-2 is what I’ll buy. Slap a kiji and WL head on there, money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Now I’m interested.  Glad they’re responding to comments.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is getting real...

View Quote

Hopefully it will eventually evolve into each side being a df 18650/cr123 that will take sure fire tale caps. And get it as low on the rail as possible with the pods in tight. The laser just needs to be a little bump with a selecter to slave it to either side or turn it off. You wouldn't have laser only but it would be very simple to operate.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hopefully it will eventually evolve into each side being a df 18650/cr123 that will take sure fire tale caps. And get it as low on the rail as possible with the pods in tight. The laser just needs to be a little bump with a selecter to slave it to either side or turn it off. You wouldn't have laser only but it would be very simple to operate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is getting real...

Dual fuel that could take 16mm or 18mm batteries would be pretty awesome, with simple electronic voltage regulation it shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow.  Again, I'm in for two illum options only, without any lasers.  Throw on the KIJI and Arisaka heads and bam, you have two spectrum illum for use with RDS.  High/low or focused/diffused a definite plus.  Seems like you might need a single fire button with a toggle switch.  Maybe even a single 123 to run things.  Or I could live with dual batts if they rolled them both off to the sides.

Plus one, I wish these guys all the luck in the world.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes please
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I am late as hell to this thread, this is very similar to what I have designed in my head. I would use a sure fire head on the illumination side, twist for white or twist for ir. Then a central located ir laser, like this one has.

I would have two buttons at the 11 oclock position, fore and aft of each other. One button light only, the other both light and laser. Yes at the 11 position screws lefties, but it could be a top located. I am just thinking what I want. The buttons doing light only or both would make it work well for having the white light option. Sure its not just change buttons to change ir and white light but for what I do ( play at the range ) it would be perfect, again for me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Very nice, I hope they offer some upgrade for early adopters with the ability to upgrade to this new body type.
View Quote

For free obviously!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet, looks like I’ll continue to wait
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For free obviously!
View Quote

While that would be nice, I wouldn't mind paying a fee for upgrading.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Update. It’s like they were reading this thread

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/25/shot-2022-phantom-hill-ctf2/
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Update. It's like they were reading this thread

View Quote
Unlike you apparently
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unlike you apparently
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike you apparently

Lol, you quoted my poor instagram teaser and got the pic posted.

There’s also an update to the buttons.

Mike of Phantom Hill is exploring a different button configuration for the CTF2. Here is that prototype. He is considering have a IR aiming laser only button while the buttons on either side will simultaneously activate the light and laser of their respective sides.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/IMG_4588.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike you apparently

Mike of Phantom Hill is exploring a different button configuration for the CTF2. Here is that prototype. He is considering have a IR aiming laser only button while the buttons on either side will simultaneously activate the light and laser of their respective sides.

If they could take crane plugs I’d easily spend another $200 for that capability.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

What a button mess
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Needs a way to turn it off if there isn't one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Just give me a CTF model that can take remote switches please.

Really like Phantom Hill, dig the direction they're heading in.  Right now we civilians get screwed when it comes to IR choices. It straight up sucks how limited our options are and how expensive those options are.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If they could take crane plugs I’d easily spend another $200 for that capability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike you apparently

I don't know man. If he sold the body for as low as $600 plus another $600 best case for the Kiji now you are at 1200 and I would pay that. Then up to 1400 with the crane plug and maybe call it $1500 with the light head.

You can find full power lasers on the used market for that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I love what this unit has to offer, but I really wanna see one with a VIS laser on it. The CTF-2 looks like a gigantic step in the right direction, when paired with cell extenders for 6v heads.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Next level craziness... dual kijis with one flood and one focused! Keep your white light separate. Now it's mawl like switchology!
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Next level craziness... dual kijis with one flood and one focused! Keep your white light separate. Now it's mawl like switchology!
View Quote
Also creeping up to mawl pricing...
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Also creeping up to mawl pricing...
View Quote

Yeah... but modularity is what you make of it!

Honestly, my suggestion was in jest, but who knows..
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#26]
any updates?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Illumination head bundle packages will be offered. CR123-compatible only.

With all the scarcity these days I have a feeling I'll regret this thread.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Illumination head bundle packages will be offered. CR123-compatible only.

With all the scarcity these days I have a feeling I'll regret this thread.
View Quote

That's awesome. I'm also really glad he's keeping the price reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Guy doing a review said it works with a battery extension to run a 6v head. He didn't specify if he was using 16650s. The phantomhill Instagram says the unit is compatible with any 300/600 head so I'm not really clear if the unit will run the 6v heads with its onboard batteries or if you need an extension or if using the extension is something phantomhill supports and warranties.

Eta would be awesome if down the road it would take surefire tailcaps but I don't know how much complication this would add. Sell with just the stock caps but be upgradable if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Def interested. This is what I was hoping the Wilcox Raptor Lite would have turned into…
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I really like what they've donewith the buttons. I'm not sure if I would use the center IR-laser-only button much but I like the way it guards the others.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#32]
For a CTF-3 I would like to see a laser and one head only combination (ideally for your Kiji 3 degree!) without a second head slot. This way your white light can be standalone (reduce risk of light ND, and use a longer 6v or dual fuel light that’s more powerful).

Nice-to-haves:
-Tape switch compatibility would be great too!
-Laser power control so it’s not always max power (reduce blooming indoors or at close range)
-A price point close to $600-700 (probably most important; I would give up tape switch and laser power control to keep price low)
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
For a CTF-3 I would like to see a laser and one head only combination (ideally for your Kiji 3 degree!) without a second head slot. This way your white light can be standalone (reduce risk of light ND, and use a longer 6v or dual fuel light that’s more powerful).

Nice-to-haves:
-Laser power control so it’s not always max power (reduce blooming indoors or at close range)
-A price point close to $600-700 (probably most important; I would give up tape switch and laser power control to keep price low)
View Quote

I would agree.  If they can get the ergos right with the buttons (3 or 4 ) why create complexity.

A tail switch on each side for the respective light source alone would be nice. Then the IR illum button could be slaved to the IR laser but the IR button laser slaved to nothing?  Same as for the white light and vis laser.  If you want just the illuminator hit the tail switch. Odds are if your illuminating a target you should also have the laser on as well?  An LEP white light head would also make this the bomb.

Here is an idea on the switching.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would agree.  If they can get the ergos right with the buttons (3 or 4 ) why create complexity.

A tail switch on each side for the respective light source alone would be nice. Then the IR illum button could be slaved to the IR laser but the IR button laser slaved to nothing?  Same as for the white light and vis laser.  If you want just the illuminator hit the tail switch. Odds are if your illuminating a target you should also have the laser on as well?  An LEP white light head would also make this the bomb.

Here is an idea on the switching.https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/534172309305425923/970168793705897984/unknown.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice-to-haves:

Here is an idea on the switching.https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/534172309305425923/970168793705897984/unknown.png

How about something like the right side of this image?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would be in favor of ditching a visible laser for cost and weight on a CTF-3. (Perhaps one day they’ll come out with a “Cadillac” model with everything, for now let’s call that CTF-4.) In my brain, a CTF-3 is just one head and an IR laser.

As for switching, simpler is better (and cheaper.) One button for laser only, one for head plus laser, and a toggle switch between low and high power for laser.

Adding a second head and visible laser would make the buttons very complex as well, so you’d be trying to play Mortal Kombat while running your rifle. In truth, for a visible/IR dual head model, I’m in favor of keeping the “left head + visible laser, IR laser, right head + IR laser” simple 3-button solution but possibly with a laser power control toggle somewhere else on the body.

Such a unit would be amazing!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#36]

That works  too.  I would put a "fence"  between them that way in the dark you could feel with your thumb where/which button your on.  I would have the white light farthest from the support hand meaning it would have to be a deliberate to action to use it. The tail switch could be made as the "master arm/off" button as a safety lockout.   The middle button I would ditch it .  Better yet you could make the button panel rotational. Have it any way that suits your grip the best.12 3 6 9 o'clock  OR  230,430, 730, 830  o'clock. button patterns.  Your left thumb sweeps from about 10 to 85 degrees in a "C" clamp grip, so rotating the panel might accommodate individual body mechanics.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would be in favor of ditching a visible laser for cost and weight on a CTF-3. (Perhaps one day they’ll come out with a “Cadillac” model with everything, for now let’s call that CTF-4.) In my brain, a CTF-3 is just one head and an IR laser.

As for switching, simpler is better (and cheaper.) One button for laser only, one for head plus laser, and a toggle switch between low and high power for laser.

Adding a second head and visible laser would make the buttons very complex as well, so you’d be trying to play Mortal Kombat while running your rifle. In truth, for a visible/IR dual head model, I’m in favor of keeping the “left head + visible laser, IR laser, right head + IR laser” simple 3-button solution but possibly with a laser power control toggle somewhere else on the body.

Such a unit would be amazing!
View Quote

How about this concept ?

Remember we can move the IR /WL Illum heads to either side .  If we use the tail switch as a "slave" to work with the corresponding laser we only need a fire button for each laser.  Again this using the notion that if you need any type of illumination on a target you should also have your targeting laser on as well.  However; this will not allow usage of either illuminator by itself  without either corresponding laser also firing. The panel can still be rotated placing which ever laser firing button on the  left or right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another concept:

[If we have the WL head  on the left and IR head on the right ]

The tail switches in theory could be made with a program to activate "momentary" via the tail switch then as a slave when pressing the laser button and the tail switch at the same time for 5 seconds to program for slave mode.   Want only WL?  Hit the tail switch  Want both hit the Vis laser. etc.  This would only be a problem with the weak side using The IR illuminator on the right.  All of this would add complexity (chips) = $$$ = fail rates = ??????  etc.

Lets keep kicking it around   They seem to be listening.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It'd probably be better if the buttons were front/back instead of left/right, with a vis lockout option and the vis button being slightly recessed.
View Quote

Reached out to them and they replied same day. Discounts offered for LE/Mil in case anyone cares.

TLDR: Regarding White Light & Tape Switches:

When and where can I buy this?
The CTF-2 will be for sale from our website for $699. We will be working with a few select dealers as well. The CTF-2 will be available in June 2022.

Is the CTF-2 compatible with third-party heads? (Surefire, Modlite, Arisaka, etc.)
The CTF-2 can accept any head (white or IR) that will fit on a CR123 300 / 600 body (3V / 6V).

Is the CTF-2 compatible with remote/tape switches?
No, there are no switch ports in the CTF-2. We have arranged the switches to allow for immediate activation of any of your illumination tools.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#40]
This is looking like the best 'reasonably priced' civilian option. I likely won't buy this next batch, but the following release I might have to snag one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Something to do high/med/low like the mawl and toggle vis/ir button would be nice
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is looking like the best 'reasonably priced' civilian option. I likely won't buy this next batch, but the following release I might have to snag one.
View Quote

Amen.

It's a pretty simplistic setup that gives you some pretty decent flexibility without having to worry about setting up 92 different peripheral switches etc.

I do want to see continued evolution of the product as I really do appreciate and want flexibility but as it stands, for 699 this is a pretty darned good deal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Update: received a very informative email from Mike just now. Need to confirm what I can release first. Good stuff gents!
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Update: received a very informative email from Mike just now. Need to confirm what I can release first. Good stuff gents!
View Quote

Interesting, can't wait to hear what information you have and are able to release.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Interesting, can't wait to hear what information you have and are able to release.
View Quote

Copied direct from his email. Seems like a highly motivated guy who has the desire to put their gear on the NV map. The versatility intrigues me for sure!

""As for the CTF-2. We will be building hundreds more of the new generation. The success of the first design largely caught us off guard. The NV community is a very supportive group of folks when it comes to trying new designs and we were just not ready to scale. We are now.

"The CTF-2 will take any CR123 Surefire Scout head ever made, 3V or 6V. It will also accept any heads that would fit onto a Scout body (Malkoff). That was one of the reasons we went with the modular architecture. A lot of folks have white light heads that are perfectly usable, so you can use heads that you already own. Save a few bucks at least, right? The new Kiji IR laser illuminator also fits this pattern, and the power output of the Kiji is similar to the MAWL-DA but without the “Full Power” restrictions. It’s an amazing device."

"We are researching Modlite heads, rechargeable batteries and remote switch ports. Those are all projects that require time to get right, so nothing in the immediate future on those fronts."

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Copied direct from his email. Seems like a highly motivated guy who has the desire to put their gear on the NV map. The versatility intrigues me for sure!

""As for the CTF-2. We will be building hundreds more of the new generation. The success of the first design largely caught us off guard. The NV community is a very supportive group of folks when it comes to trying new designs and we were just not ready to scale. We are now.

"The CTF-2 will take any CR123 Surefire Scout head ever made, 3V or 6V. It will also accept any heads that would fit onto a Scout body (Malkoff). That was one of the reasons we went with the modular architecture. A lot of folks have white light heads that are perfectly usable, so you can use heads that you already own. Save a few bucks at least, right? The new Kiji IR laser illuminator also fits this pattern, and the power output of the Kiji is similar to the MAWL-DA but without the “Full Power” restrictions. It’s an amazing device."

"We are researching Modlite heads, rechargeable batteries and remote switch ports. Those are all projects that require time to get right, so nothing in the immediate future on those fronts."

View Quote

Very exciting and encouraging. I think we've as a gun community have grown accustom to companies not listening to their users. It's a breath of fresh air to hear about a company that is listening and sees a MAJOR hole in the market. Thanks for sharing Gunny!
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm trying to discern if the "legacy enhanced" heads that Modlite was showing at SHOT Show 2022 will work on the CTF with that battery extension stamped with VF1's logo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I need one for an SBR.  This would be the best SBR type light I could grab.  

Currently run a Wilcox on my Knights.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Those of you who put your email into their website should've received a survey from them on the different add-ons you're interested in. Check your Spam folders
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Those of you who put your email into their website should've received a survey from them on the different add-ons you're interested in. Check your Spam folders
View Quote

Came to say this. Got mine yesterday.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top