Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2018 7:59:08 PM EDT
link

What are your thoughts of this? I already have the KDG short rail and love it, but Im always looking for ways to lighten my 17s up some.

What are the downsides to carbon fiber compared to aluminum? Are they as durable? Can they take the same abuse?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the KDG rail on my 17 as well and I probably wouldn't be in a big hurry to switch it out, personally.

But I do like the way the Lancer one attaches along the bottom as opposed to the KDG which wraps around the sides as well. When I installed the KDG rail I liked how it made it feel like a completely different gun without the rails there. The Lancer with the rail elimination panels would probably just improve that even more.

I'm no expert on the difference between carbon fiber and aluminum or anything, but I was under the impression that carbon fiber is stronger than aluminum while being lighter.  I would think it handles heat better too.

Very tempting...
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
At 4 oz that is very attractive. I love everything about carbon fiber except how it looks though. The pattern of cf for my taste is not as attractive as the lightweight/strength. Looks odd. Same as on ARs. Odd looking but very functional.  Might have to try one and see how paint holds up on it. I’m guessing not well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
So my KDG short rails are 8.4 oz, these are 4 oz and dont cover the side rails. I will most likely stick with what I got. Although Im considering going from a TA11 to NF ATACR 1-8 optic, so any weight I can save will be great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top