Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2018 11:46:42 PM EDT
Just got a new standard JRA/Bula M14 rifle from classicfirearms.
Went to the range today and found out it shoots super low.

Need to do 28 clicks up to the rear sight to zero correctly at 200 yards.

I know I can file down the front sight post, but before I do that, I want to know if this is consider 'okay'.

Should I ask for a return/repair?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is properly zeroed than there really is no problem.  Shoot it and enjoy and just be glad M14s don't have canted front sights like an AK
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it is properly zeroed than there really is no problem.  Shoot it and enjoy and just be glad M14s don't have canted front sights like an AK
View Quote
Owned probably close to 12 AK rifles, and only my SAR1, and one of my SLR107 have slight canted sight.

So would 28 clicks up in elevation consider 'within spec' for M14?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
10 clicks up from the bottom is average. You'll never get past 300/400 yards before running out of elevation. 28 clicks up is my 600 yard zero.

The receiver face probably isn't true.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
10 clicks up from the bottom is average. You'll never get past 300/400 yards before running out of elevation. 28 clicks up is my 600 yard zero.

View Quote
Couldn't have said it better!

The economical fix will be a good flat file,  some cold blue,  time at the range and filing the front sight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Owned probably close to 12 AK rifles, and only my SAR1, and one of my SLR107 have slight canted sight.

So would 28 clicks up in elevation consider 'within spec' for M14?
View Quote
Not at all.

I have a late '80s, Glen-Nelson built Super Match, and I'm only like 9-clicks to zero at 200yds.  But even a 'standard' M1A, shooting decent mil-spec fodder, shouldn't need 28-clicks to achieve a 200yd Z.

Yeah, could be a receiver/barrel issue, but if the rifle's otherwise shooting consistently good groups, the simplest solution is a shorter front sight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most likely.

Next runner up is funky wrong pressure on the fore end tip.   Should require a few pounds of pressure at the hook to have the front end under tension with the receiver presses in and the triggerguard latched.   Usually that’s just bad accuracy if too much pressure or non existent pressure.

I’d also double check and make sure you don’t have a tall front sight meant for a scout and your barrel is a 22”.    I doubt it but strange stuff happens.  The sight would look rather tall.

ETA also check your flash hider.  It should be centered.  A GI one has a tight bore.  The match ones are cast or reamed to a long cone inside.   If you have a stock GI one check for copper streaks from bullets contacting the flash hider.   If you find this just loosen the castle nut and center it when looking down inside at the barrel crown.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
OP here,

The rifle definitely shoots low, but the accuracy is pretty good, about 1.8"-2.25" 10rd group w/ iron sights and Malaysian 146gr Surplus 7.62NATO
The GI flashhider is perfectly centered. Highly doubt it is the issue here.
The forward retaining plate on the gas block and barrel meets the fore end of the wood stock fine, not too tight, and not much pressure is applied to the barrel.
The internals of the wood stock seems GTG, and I don't see anything rubbing against the op-rod.

The only 'issue' I can find is that the trigger assembly is very tight when putting into the stock.
When reassembling the rifle and putting in the trigger assembly into the stock, I will need a slight tap using the mallet to close the trigger guard.

Is there anything else I need to check?
B/c the rifle shoots so well, should I just shorten the front sight post?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
A unitized front band/gas system solved a similar problem i had on a Springfield M1A back in the mid 80's, also you didn't mention what stock was on the gun (or i missed it in your post), but these guns tend to shoot way better in the fiberglass stocks than they do in wood.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A unitized front band/gas system solved a similar problem i had on a Springfield M1A back in the mid 80's, also you didn't mention what stock was on the gun (or i missed it in your post), but these guns tend to shoot way better in the fiberglass stocks than they do in wood.
Good luck.
PS: what brand is your rifle?
View Quote
Already stated in the OP.
JRA/Bula M14 rifle from classicfirearms.
Just a standard wood stock, full length M14.

The rifle shoots accurately as mentioned 1 post above your post.
This is troubling to me as I don't want to change too much since it shoots well.
However, the 28 clicks up to zero at 200 yards is not something I am happy about... just wondering what I can do before I send it in (that is if I can even send in for repair...)

The gas block and barrel is fitted together tightly, so I don't think that is the issue either... this is a bit frustrating
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is bottomed out and then some at 200.  I actually had to mod the base of the sight so it would go lower into the rifle.

168gr Fed GM ammo
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Not alright, for the money they charge for it send it back to be fixed or replaced.

I've owned dozens of M1a's and shot hpower and like said 28 up is 600 zero territory.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not alright, for the money they charge for it send it back to be fixed or replaced.

I've owned dozens of M1a's and shot hpower and like said 28 up is 600 zero territory.
View Quote
Yeah, I've searched a lot online about this issue I have, and seems like it is definitely NOT OKAY.
I've just sent an email to James River Armory about this, requesting a repair/replacement.

We shall see what they say about this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP here,

* * * The only 'issue' I can find is that the trigger assembly is very tight when putting into the stock.
When reassembling the rifle and putting in the trigger assembly into the stock, I will need a slight tap using the mallet to close the trigger guard.
View Quote
Actually, a tight lock-up like that is better than 'normal' and is the principle reason for getting tight groups in the M1A and the M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've searched a lot online about this issue I have, and seems like it is definitely NOT OKAY.
I've just sent an email to James River Armory about this, requesting a repair/replacement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely see what they say, ... but be advised they could also screw up your rifle during its time in their shop for warranty work.

Again, if the rifle otherwise runs reliably and shoots well, you might be better off not sending it back but taking it, or just the front sight itself, to a local gunsmith you trust to have the sight post filed down and squared off.

Also, if memory serves me, there was some vendor out there who actually a made 'shorter' M1A front sight for NM shooters.

Can't recall who, but you might want to google it. Maybe S.A. or F.A., but could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually, a tight lock-up like that is better than 'normal' and is the principle reason for getting tight groups in the M1A and the M1 Garand.
View Quote
Yeah, that is what I read about also, hence I put 'issue', as there really isn't one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Definitely see what they say, ... but be advised they could also screw up your rifle during its time in their shop for warranty work.

Again, if the rifle otherwise runs reliably and shoots well, you might be better off not sending it back but taking it, or just the front sight itself, to a local gunsmith you trust to have the sight post filed down and squared off.

Also, if memory serves me, there was some vendor out there who actually a made 'shorter' M1A front sight for NM shooters.

Can't recall who, but you might want to google it. Maybe S.A. or F.A., but could be wrong.
View Quote
I've actually never asked for a repair work or anything like that for a new firearm I bought, so this is definitely new to me... hopefully they will fix it instead of making things worse.

I am fairly handy with power tools, so filing down the front sight isn't a problem.

My friend and I met up just now and he gave me a NM M1A sight for free.
I figure before I hear anything from James River Armory, I can file down the NM M1A sight and see how I like the shortened front sight post.

From my calculation, I need to bring it down by 0.1", which is basically half of the height of the front sight post.
If I am okay with the sight picture, I might just keep it the way it is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Im thinking i will be ordering the same rifle this weekend. Might sell my current M1A which my gun shop told me is a california model and apparently still legal to own in cali. Mine had a break on instead of the flash hider. I never thought much about it. I scored a couple of hits at 600yrd gong a couple months ago, and i found it shoots better in the walnut stock it came with than the fiberglass stock i picked up at an estate sale for 20 bucks i think it was.  How is the gun otherwise? Saw mags are tight in a couple reviews iv seen.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Im thinking i will be ordering the same rifle this weekend. Might sell my current M1A which my gun shop told me is a california model and apparently still legal to own in cali. Mine had a break on instead of the flash hider. I never thought much about it. I scored a couple of hits at 600yrd gong a couple months ago, and i found it shoots better in the walnut stock it came with than the fiberglass stock i picked up at an estate sale for 20 bucks i think it was.  How is the gun otherwise? Saw mags are tight in a couple reviews iv seen.
View Quote
Tight mag catch, but it will be better after maybe 30 or so reloads with each magazine.
The rifle overall is very nice, too bad I have this barrel misalignment/zeroing problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]
well sadly they went oos and i dont want the shorter version. Planned on ordering one this evening, went to the local gun shop and got a copy of ffl on jump drive to email them when i bought it. Oh well i guess it wasnt meant to be
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The economical fix will be a good flat file,  some cold blue,  time at the range and filing the front sight.
View Quote
No........he needs a taller front sight if he wants to lower his point of impact, and that's not an option.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No........he needs a taller front sight if he wants to lower his point of impact, and that's not an option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, ... the OP said the POI is too low. He wants it raise it with a SHORTER front sight.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, ... the OP said the POI is too low. He wants it raise it with a SHORTER front sight.
View Quote
Yep, need a shorter FSP.
Went out today with a shortened/halved FSP that I got from a friend, and it works fine.

With the FSP half its original height, I now need 15 clicks instead of 28 clicks... however, that still seems a bit much.

I can not wait to hear back from James River Armory tomorrow.
Hopefully they can take it in and fix this issue.... or, give me a new rifle that is without issues
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven't heard back from JRA... this is not good
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I stand corrected. I actually had to do this before and for reasons unknown I got it backwards in my post. Lowering the front sight raises the point of impact.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Talked to the Classic Firearms rep 3 times in 2 weeks, and they never got back to me about how to proceed with the warranty work at JRA...
Also called JRA directly with no answer. Emailed, and no answer....

As of right now I do not recommend buying this rifle from Classic Firearms/James River Armory.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#26]
It's been years but I think my Glenn Nelson-tuned National Match rifle was between 6 and 9 clicks at 200.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Talked to the Classic Firearms rep 3 times in 2 weeks, and they never got back to me about how to proceed with the warranty work at JRA...
Also called JRA directly with no answer. Emailed, and no answer....

As of right now I do not recommend buying this rifle from Classic Firearms/James River Armory.
View Quote
Sorry to hear that.

These guys have a hut on Commercial Row during the Nat'l Matches at Camp Perry.  So you'd think they'd be a bit more responsive to a customer since they're 'invested' in the shooting sports in terms of presence at the pinnacle of 'Service Rifle' competitions.

Only option now is to find a local or regional  'smith who's both M1A-knowledgeable and has the tools, gauges, and equipment to check specs, pull the barrel, check the stock, etc., as needed. Run a complete systems-check.

Otherwise, you're stuck with using a shorter front sight to reduce the elevation clicks needed to a reasonable number.

If everything else about the rifle is working, and you don't want to risk anything getting screwed up on return, then the simplest & cheapest solution is a shorter frt sight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Pick the clicks you want, and start filing the front sight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

These guys have a hut on Commercial Row during the Nat'l Matches at Camp Perry.  So you'd think they'd be a bit more responsive to a customer since they're 'invested' in the shooting sports in terms of presence at the pinnacle of 'Service Rifle' competitions.

Only option now is to find a local or regional  'smith who's both M1A-knowledgeable and has the tools, gauges, and equipment to check specs, pull the barrel, check the stock, etc., as needed. Run a complete systems-check.

Otherwise, you're stuck with using a shorter front-sight remedy to reduce the elevation clicks needed to a reasonable number.

If everything else about the rifle is working, and you don't want to risk disturbing anything by shipping it back, then the simplest & cheapest solution is a shorter frt sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

Otherwise, you're stuck with using a shorter front-sight remedy to reduce the elevation clicks needed to a reasonable number.

If everything else about the rifle is working, and you don't want to risk disturbing anything by shipping it back, then the simplest & cheapest solution is a shorter frt sight.
Quoted:
It really sucks how a $1500 M14 clone I bought have such a badly canted barrel.

This is my first time with a newly manufactured firearm that has such a flaw that requires warranty repair/replacement.
I've never done a RMA before, however, it seems excessive to me that there's not much willingness from the manufacturer/distributor to fix this problem on the rifle after 2 weeks of waiting.

As mentioned above, my friend gave me an extra standard M1A FSB/FSP which I filed down the FSP in half.
After that, I went to the shooting range, and finds that the rifle still requires 16 clicks to zero at 200 yards.
I don't want to file down the FSP any further as the sight picture already looks strange as is, and the base is already blocking the target more so than before.

I will keep bugging them about this, hoping they can eventually take it in and repair whatever is wrong with this rifle.
For now, I guess I will shoot the rifle with a FSP that's been cut in half...
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I finally got a response from Classic Firearms.
They told me they will replace my rifle for a new one.

As of now, I am waiting for their email regarding their shipping address so I can ship it back.

Hopefully the new rifle I get won't have any issues
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
After ruling out everything else, I'd go with that too.

NORMAL for my M1 Garand sight at 100 yd.  Actually, I didn't write it.  But the sight clicks are still "correct enough" even for me.  Yes, I shoot at 100 yds because it's easier to find a 100 yd range now a days.   And, I like the 6 o'clock hold (personal choice).  Because, I can see the target better that way.  Yup.....I'm old.

What is "normal" for a Garand is about 8 clicks up from bottom for a center of mass hit at 100 yards. There is more to where hit point will be other than front sight blade height. There is often differences in how low the aperture will go from one rifle to another. Stock fit can also affect point of impact.

OR

For a 6 o'clock hold most of mine are 10-14 clicks up. The easiest fix for raising POI is to file the top of the front sight a bit. Just remember a little goes a long way, go slow. You might also try an alternate ammo just to determine if it's the "problem". A bent barrel is very doubtful and virtually impossible to determine yourself.
Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Next you'll probably want to know "Come ups."  I saved this one just for that occasion.  BTW, Swampy got some good posts.....here is one I copied from a while back..........

Standard Highpower come ups are as follows:

With a 100 yard zero....

For 200 yards come up 1-2 MOA
For 300 yards come up 2-3 MOA MORE
For 500 yards come up 7 MOA MORE
For 600 yards come up 4 MOA MORE

This works for all Highpower appropriate cartridges regardless of caliber, bullet wt., or velocity. We use it all the time to get new guys on the target when they show up to their first Across the Course Highpower event and only have a 100 yard zero. It gets them in the black every time.... only takes a minor adjustment off the sighters to find center.

Best regards,
Swampy
View Quote
and another one (for M1A/M14 in 7.62 NATO)............

I did that once, then it got out of whack again. From then on I just memorized my come ups in clicks; besides you can't see the marks in the dark without exposing your position

Here is a starting point for you
100 yard zero is about 6 to 8 clicks from mechanical zero

FROM A 100 yd. SETTING:
-come up 2-3 clicks for 200 yds.
-come up 5 clicks for 300 yds.
-come up 12 clicks for 500 yds.
-come up 16-18 clicks for 600 yds.

STACKING
from 100-> 200yds is +2-3 clicks
from 200-> 300yds is +3 clicks
from 300-> 600yds is +12-14 clicks
or
+2 for 200
+3 for 300
+12 for 6

Hope that helps.

Posted by: octanejunkie (m14tfl.com)
View Quote
+++++++

Course, you will have to figure it out.....as to what's RIGHT for your particular rifle and ammo combination.   This information was just to get you, close enough.

Aloha, Mark

PS......BEWARE.......as for the knobs.......the M1 is marked in yards and the M14 is marked in meters.   Not that I really care all that much.  So, when you find your clicks.........mark it or write it down in your score book.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I finally got a response from Classic Firearms.
They told me they will replace my rifle for a new one.

As of now, I am waiting for their email regarding their shipping address so I can ship it back.

Hopefully the new rifle I get won't have any issues
View Quote
Good luck! And keep us updated on how it turns out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good luck! And keep us updated on how it turns out.
View Quote
Definitely.

As of now they sure are taking their sweet time with another update email... seems like I will need to call them daily and to constantly bug them about it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven’t dealt with classic since ownership changed. I think I’ll keep it that way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I called Classic 2 days ago, and they gave me the go ahead to ship the rifle.
I went ahead and gave the rifle to my FFL for shipping yesterday.

Bula Defense also got involved.

From the information provided by Classic and Bula, they told me to ship the rifle to Bula.
They told me once Bula receives the rifle, Classic will then ship me a new replacement rifle to my FFL.
The shipping was free since Bula provided the shipping label.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
My very low 5 digit SAI M1a is 21 clicks up for 600 yards
My Lrb M14 clone is 23 clicks up from zero
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#38]
OP here... just a quick update.

This is the beginning of the 4th week since I contacted Classic Firearm.
I was told by Bula and Classic to ship the rifle to Bula, which then Classic will ship me a replacement rifle when Bula receives it.
Bula Defense received my defective rifle last Wednesday, and Classic still have not yet ship out my replacement rifle.

Been calling Classic daily since last Thursday and so far they keep telling me "my manager will call you back", which never happened.

As of now, I really think Classic Firearm has a terrible Customer Service, and can no longer recommend them unless they are the only option.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP here... just a quick update.

This is the beginning of the 4th week since I contacted Classic Firearm.
I was told by Bula and Classic to ship the rifle to Bula, which then Classic will ship me a replacement rifle when Bula receives it.
Bula Defense received my defective rifle last Wednesday, and Classic still have not yet ship out my replacement rifle.

Been calling Classic daily since last Thursday and so far they keep telling me "my manager will call you back", which never happened.

As of now, I really think Classic Firearm has a terrible Customer Service, and can no longer recommend them unless they are the only option.
View Quote
That's crazy. Anyone else would have shipped your replacement rifle long ago. Maybe you should call Jeff at Bula and tell him how Classic is doing ya. I stopped buying from classic a few years ago. Their CS is some of the worst in the business. I hope things work out for you. I hate having to deal with this king of stuff and don't have the patience for it. I'd be fuming.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's crazy. Anyone else would have shipped your replacement rifle long ago. Maybe you should call Jeff at Bula and tell him how Classic is doing ya. I stopped buying from classic a few years ago. Their CS is some of the worst in the business. I hope things work out for you. I hate having to deal with this king of stuff and don't have the patience for it. I'd be fuming.
View Quote
Just want to add, Jeff at Bula Defense is very helpful and fast at replying back to me in the group email during the whole ordeal.
Unlike Classic, Jeff updated me and Classic that he has received the rifle, without me calling or emailing to ask for an update.

When it comes to dealing with Classic, I have to force myself to call in DAILY, since they won't even bother to update me on anything on their end...
Classic's management is absolutely terrible.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#41]
After 4.5 weeks of hassle, Classic Firearm got back to me saying James River Armory will be shipping a new replacement rifle back to me.

Hopefully the new rifle will shoot good, and without any out of spec parts
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
After 4.5 weeks of hassle, Classic Firearm got back to me saying James River Armory will be shipping a new replacement rifle back to me.

Hopefully the new rifle will shoot good, and without any out of spec parts
View Quote
Good to hear. My new M14 shipped today. Fingers crossed it all works fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#43]
What is sad is that it has been 6 business days since Classic told me the rifle has been shipped.... and yet, I still don't have a rifle.
I called Classic Firearm which they stated that they do not have a tracking number for the new replacement rifle since JRA are the ones shipping to my FFL.

This entire ordeal is so frustrating...
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What is sad is that it has been 6 business days since Classic told me the rifle has been shipped.... and yet, I still don't have a rifle.
I called Classic Firearm which they stated that they do not have a tracking number for the new replacement rifle since JRA are the ones shipping to my FFL.

This entire ordeal is so frustrating...
View Quote
So many dropped balls on their part.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Just confirms to me that the new owners are not like the old ones..

I'll pass buying from them..

The old owners were very nice..

When they had single stack ak mags for a $1 a piece i purchased a ton of them a huge box came within a week.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Update:
Called JRA, and got a tracking number... the rifle will be here Monday.
I will go to the range Tuesday to try it out.
I will report back after I put some rounds through the new replacement rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Update #2:

After 1.5 months, I finally received the replacement rifle from Classic Firearms/James River Armory.... and I went to the range today to try out the new rifle.
In order to sight in the new rifle, it requires 17 clicks up from the very bottom position.
IMHO, this is still not great since most people and websites mention 8-14 clicks to zero.
However, this is definitely a lot better than the 28 clicks the old rifle needed to zero.

I shot 200rds of Malaysian Surplus and 40rds of Magtech, without any problem.
The accuracy is about 2-2.5MOA at 100 yards using iron sights.
Both ammo shot about the same.

Overall, I am happy with the rifle, even though it is not exactly perfect... I do think I will be keeping this one.
My current plant is to buy a National Match front sight, and trim down the front post by 1/3, which should give me about 12-14 clicks to zero.

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Update #2:

After 1.5 months, I finally received the replacement rifle from Classic Firearms/James River Armory.... and I went to the range today to try out the new rifle.
In order to sight in the new rifle, it requires 17 clicks up from the very bottom position.
IMHO, this is still not great since most people and websites mention 8-14 clicks to zero.
However, this is definitely a lot better than the 28 clicks the old rifle needed to zero.

I shot 200rds of Malaysian Surplus and 40rds of Magtech, without any problem.
The accuracy is about 2-2.5MOA at 100 yards using iron sights.
Both ammo shot about the same.

Overall, I am happy with the rifle, even though it is not exactly perfect... I do think I will be keeping this one.
My current plant is to buy a National Match front sight, and trim down the front post by 1/3, which should give me about 12-14 clicks to zero.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/903/40790934765_80784d893b_o.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/945/41641970752_4ae8d98c42_o.jpg
View Quote
Re: your update2 ...

Hey brother, I'm glad to hear they took care of you. It seems you received a nice working M1A. That said, I think 17 clicks is not right, but obviously it's an improvement over your first rifle.

Both of mine, one a late '80s Super Match M1A, the other a '91 'standard' M1A (built with all USGI parts), need only about 8-10 clicks of elevation to get zeroed at 100-yds.

Regardless, ...  what really matters is that you're happy with the reliability and accuracy of your rifle and believe you can depend on it not only for personal enjoyment, but also to protect you & yours if it ever comes to that.

Enjoy, ... and good luck!
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Glad you got your rifle.

Dying to take mine out and see if the elevation adjustment is similar to yours...
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Glad you got your rifle.

Dying to take mine out and see if the elevation adjustment is similar to yours...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Glad you got your rifle.

Quoted:

Re: your update2 ...

Hey brother, I'm glad to hear they took care of you. It seems you received a nice working M1A. That said, I think 17 clicks is not right, but obviously it's an improvement over your first rifle.

Both of mine, one a late '80s Super Match M1A, the other a '91 'standard' M1A (built with all USGI parts), need only about 8-10 clicks of elevation to get zeroed at 100-yds.

Regardless, ...  what really matters is that you're happy with the reliability and accuracy of your rifle and believe you can depend on it not only for personal enjoyment, but also to protect you & yours if it ever comes to that.

Enjoy, ... and good luck!
BTW, as you can see in my pictures, the rifle has a National Match rear sight base, so I think that is about 5-6 clicks more than the standard one until the rear sight peep bottoms out.
So if I have a standard sight base, that is about 11-12 clicks for a 200 yard zero, which I heard is pretty standard.

I've been reading a lot about the 'proper' amount of clicks to zero M14/M1A and M1 Garand and there's plenty of people who mentions 8-13 clicks for a 200 yard zero.
I've also watched plenty of Youtube videos of Fulton Armory M14 and Springfield M1A rifles being shot at 25-300 yards, where it seems like their rifles have about 10-18 clicks of adjustment.
This is compared to my own rifle, and how many clicks to look like how the Youtube guys have their rear peep sight adjusted.

So after all, as I mentioned already, having 17 clicks to zero definitely doesn't seem 'perfect' to me, but it is serviceable... not to mention, I would HATE to do another return merchandise with Classic Firearms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top