Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2018 3:35:30 PM EDT
We just bought a new house and I am needing to get a safe purchased and installed. Looking strongly at a Sturdy 3627-60 but have considered an AmSec. Budget is around $3500.

A few points to help with context:

We are outside of city limits and as such have a volunteer fire dept. If I get a non-fire lined Sturdy, I would want to get a fire rated file cabinet or small safe for important documents.

The safe will likely have to go in the office, which means it will be out in the open in that room (in a corner). Anything to consider other than bolting it down?

Where is the best place to purchase an Amsec?

We do have an ADT system with motion and door/window sensors. I am also working on upgrading the exterior lighting. Have not decided if I'll install cameras anywhere yet...

Anything else I should consider? Other safes, strategies, etc?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Put it on a wall that it can't be seen through a window.

Build a fake armoire around it
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
When you bolt it in the corner, do so in a way that the side that opens is against a wall. Makes it more difficult to get any leverage with a prying tool.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put it on a wall that it can't be seen through a window.

Build a fake armoire around it
View Quote
That may be difficult, the office has a huge window. I guess it could go on the exterior wall, but then it would be visible to all guests and contractors in the house when they walk past the room.

The armoire could work....

Thanks for the ideas
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to move my two small safes out of a closet. The only place I could put them you can see them through a window. I picked up a magnetic curtain rod. Stretched it over the top of the safes and picked up two 63"long room darkening curtains. They looks like a big wardrobe now
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Finally pulled the trigger on a Sturdy Safe 4227-6 yesterday. Many thanks to Sturdy as I've been getting quotes for a long time. For anyone on the fence, give them a call. They are always very responsive and friendly.

Set to arrive in about 3 weeks, and then I get to figure out how to get it inside the house...

Planning to put it in an interior corner of the office. Will bolt it down to the slab. Still undecided on whether or not I'll try to conceal it.

Anyone have recommendations for pistol storage racks/solutions?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely conceal it. It will attract all kinds of attention.
Even if a break in fails to get into the safe, they will still take other things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top