Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2018 8:49:33 PM EDT
Already will be using smart plugs to simulate random activity when no one is home.

Besides door armor and longer screws, what are some other areas I should be considering? First home, so I am out of my element with being given free reign to make modifications as I see fit. Thanks.

What keypad locks, if any, would you guys recommend? My wife can be forgetful and would like the option of entering a code if she forgets her key.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
to go w/ door frame armor, quality deadbolts for doors...  https://securitysnobs.com/Deadbolts/
i prefer non-keypad

how good is the door?  wood or metal
maybe a good storm door in addition to door?

camera system, plenty of material in this forum

motion lights

3m window film / shatterguard for windows

alarm

Rosebushes or thorny bushes outside windows...if you cant do  barbed wire fence

dogs or beware of dog signs

hesco barriers

pro OBAMA sign in yard    
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the recs. I'm not sure the door materials, but I'd take a guess and say they are probably not metal. I think my greatest concern with the house is that the back door is a glass sliding door that opens a fenced (6 foot privacy) backyard. Short of replacing this door, any ideas to harden it? The privacy fence is a double edge sword in my mind, it keeps people from seeing this weak spot, but also conceals them if they decide to break in from the back.

Also, I'll get some "I'm with her" signs to put out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The budget-friendly solution I've always found useful for sliding doors: cut a dowel just long enough to drop into the track, thus preventing the door from sliding open. Tap a nail partially into the dowel to give yourself and easy handle to lift and remove.

I have no personal experience with it, but the 3M window security films looks like it would help on a glass slider.

There is a somewhat decent video series on YouTube called "Greyman: Home Security" that may give you some ideas also.

Congratulations on your first home!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The budget-friendly solution I've always found useful for sliding doors: cut a dowel just long enough to drop into the track, thus preventing the door from sliding open. Tap a nail partially into the dowel to give yourself and easy handle to lift and remove.

I have no personal experience with it, but the 3M window security films looks like it would help on a glass slider.

There is a somewhat decent video series on YouTube called "Greyman: Home Security" that may give you some ideas also.

Congratulations on your first home!
View Quote
Thanks. We are super excited. I'll check out that video series. The wooden dowel seems easy enough and makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
vibration/glass break sensor  or film mentioned above

maybe upgrade glass, to something equivalent to storm door

found this:
https://www.safewise.com/blog/overlooking-major-home-security-weakness
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Not so much a “hardening” suggestion as you’ve had good responses in that, but a quality safe/safes that are properly installed and a good insurance rider for your valuables.

Medeco deadbolts are expensive but high quality, if you’re looking for brand suggestions. We upgraded our locks to them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not so much a “hardening” suggestion as you’ve had good responses in that, but a quality safe/safes that are properly installed and a good insurance rider for your valuables.

Medeco sea bolts are expensive but high quality, if you’re looking for brand suggestions. We upgraded our locks to them.
View Quote
Hey, I'll take any ideas I can get. Might not be able to afford them, but it never hurts to read up on stuff. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks. We are super excited. I'll check out that video series. The wooden dowel seems easy enough and makes sense.
View Quote
Instead of a wood dowel, I now use a 1x8 plank of wood.  Used to use a smallish dowel in the slider and that was snapped by the forces put in to the break in we had ~8 years ago.

On the front door we use a product called nightlock, a support is drilled in to the floor against the door and a plate slides in against the door preventing it from opening.  Very strong.

On the inner garage door we use a kwikset 913 electronic deadbolt lock, largely because that was the brand lock that was already there and their smart rekey thing meant I didn't need to get a locksmith to make the lock match the keys we already had (we rekeyed all the locks when we first moved in, so that was out of the way).  Those electronic deadbolts are ~$65 on ebay, but like $120 on amazon/retail.  I'm happy with it, but other than having separate keys for each number and matching the existing keys, I'm not overly attached to it.

For security system we have simplifsafe, but they're anti-2A now so can't recommend them anymore.  Haven't had time to move to something else.  They have worked very well tho, way cheaper than ADT.

For cameras we had zmodo, now we have qsee.  There's a whole separate security camera thread - the brief summary is at this point I'd be sure to get an ethernet/digital system and not the older analog systems (that I have).  The digital systems have much better maximum resolution, analog taps out at 960H which is not to be confused as 960p, it is 960x480, where as 720p is 1280x720.  Get a 1080p power over ethernet system would be my move at this point.

Beyond that, I make sure all the windows have coverings, I bought hazy film to put on the garage windows but decided to just tape it on the window because we never open them anyway and wasn't sure I wanted it permanently hazy.  That way I can remove it in 5 seconds if I want more light.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Instead of a wood dowel, I now use a 1x8 plank of wood.  Used to use a smallish dowel in the slider and that was snapped by the forces put in to the break in we had ~8 years ago.

On the front door we use a product called nightlock, a support is drilled in to the floor against the door and a plate slides in against the door preventing it from opening.  Very strong.

On the inner garage door we use a kwikset 913 electronic deadbolt lock, largely because that was the brand lock that was already there and their smart rekey thing meant I didn't need to get a locksmith to make the lock match the keys we already had (we rekeyed all the locks when we first moved in, so that was out of the way).  Those electronic deadbolts are ~$65 on ebay, but like $120 on amazon/retail.  I'm happy with it, but other than having separate keys for each number and matching the existing keys, I'm not overly attached to it.

For security system we have simplifsafe, but they're anti-2A now so can't recommend them anymore.  Haven't had time to move to something else.  They have worked very well tho, way cheaper than ADT.

For cameras we had zmodo, now we have qsee.  There's a whole separate security camera thread - the brief summary is at this point I'd be sure to get an ethernet/digital system and not the older analog systems (that I have).  The digital systems have much better maximum resolution, analog taps out at 960H which is not to be confused as 960p, it is 960x480, where as 720p is 1280x720.  Get a 1080p power over ethernet system would be my move at this point.

Beyond that, I make sure all the windows have coverings, I bought hazy film to put on the garage windows but decided to just tape it on the window because we never open them anyway and wasn't sure I wanted it permanently hazy.  That way I can remove it in 5 seconds if I want more light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I really like that nightlock system. They even have one for sliding doors, but the plank is much cheaper and will probably work just as well until they decide to just break the glass.

You guys have given me a lot of ideas and lots of things to read on. I'm going to go for basic hardening first since it's the cheapest way to secure the house and then branch into cameras. I'm not sure how to tackle that one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 3:56:31 AM EDT
[#10]
- The shatterguard film is a good idea.

- Broom handle works in place of a plank/dowel. Any force strong enough to break the broom handle in that position, would destroy the sliding door.

- Along with the Door Armor with longer screws for the doorframe, I like the Door Club more than the NightLock device, because it's easy to insert  and has 2 positions. Inserted one way, it holds the door closed, inserted the other way, it allows the door to be opened about an inch (much like a doorchain), except it still has the strength to prevent someone kicking the door wide open (as long as the anchor/insert is properly/strongly mounted in the floor).
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Medeco deadbolts are expensive but high quality, if you're looking for brand suggestions. We upgraded our locks to them.
View Quote
We bought Medecos for our second house. I removed them and reinstalled them on our third house. They will continue to move with us, so though they were expensive, it was only a one-time purchase.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#12]
So we had our inspection yesterday, and I was able to get a better look at the house with security on my mind. I took a few pictures and would like some thoughts on my situation.

I really liked the idea of video doorbells, but it looks like it might be a bit of work to get one set up given how lazy the builders were when they slapped the doorbell on the vinyl siding. I guess my two options would be to either: 1) move it, or 2) install a vinyl mounting bracket and add some angle mounts to whatever doorbell I purchase so it can actually capture people coming to the door. I have no experience moving doorbells, so maybe this is easier than I think.

Also in the same picture, you can see that the front door has the stupid window just beside the lock and deadbolt. Not only is it annoying from that perspective, but it is also limiting me on being able to put in longer screws. How long are the screws in a system like the door armor or strikemaster? I guess something like the door club or nightlock would still be a viable option and prevent kickins while keeping thugs from just breaking that window and letting themselves in, but my wife won't be happy with me drilling into the slab to install it.

Also, thoughts on a DIY security company like frontpoint? I'm going to make some calls to a few of the local security monitoring companies and try to support local business, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with some of the DIY ones with professional monitoring.

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]
there is an adapter avail for the ring dorrbell that turns it 90° & has inserts to modify the angle you want.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Everything I could think of has already been said.

Better locks, window film, longer screws, uncomfortable bushes at windows, and physically blocking doors are great.

My major security improvement was only said once. Dogs!

I have 3 indoor dogs. 2 that are 1/2 great dane, 1/4 newfoundland, 1/4 st bernard, and a german shepherd. They are loving dogs, well behaved, protective, and according to everyone else insanely intimidating. I’m 6’2” and they can grab a ball from my hand holding it as high as I can with their back paws on the ground. A human head easily fits in their mouth. Nobody in their right mind would come into my house uninvited, unless they shot my dogs first. They let me know when anyone even gets close to my property. A 150-200lb dog that is built like a runner with long sharp teeth that could easily crush your skull,  and an unmistakable bark are about as good as any alarm system. They can’t call the police, but they don’t have to.

Criminals pick easy targets. Your secluded back yard makes it inviting. I would at least have motion lights and/or a camera at your back door.

Don’t overlook your garage. If they can semi easily get into it, they can take all the time they need to get into your house.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for everything guys. I just heard back from a company that does security window film, and I think they are reasonably priced (quoted me at $12-15/sq ft installed). I think I'll get the sliding door and the window beside the front door done with film.

My overall security planning thus far:
1) Arlo cameras x5 (2 covering front of house, 1 inside garage, 1 backyard, and 1 to be determined). I can live with the downsides of the Arlo system, and I will have redundancy coverage and cameras set to trigger recording of other cameras to improve responsiveness.
2) Door armor on main and garage doors. Not sure how well it will install on the main door due to the stupid window, but I'm going for it anyway. Something has to be better than nothing.
3) Door club, nightlock or similar device for main door.
4) Security film on patio door and main door window.
5) Plank/broom handle for patio door
6) Security monitoring (local company vs DIY w/ professional monitoring like frontpoint)
7)Video doorbell - last on list but I like the idea
8) Of course I'm replacing all locks.

Dogs. Already have 2, but they are cowards and will not bark unless either of us are home. More likely to go hide behind couch if strange person comes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Armor Concepts has a lot of good options... some of which have been discussed, and maybe some not.

Their side light door armor may be something you might be interested in.

I've used their products before and they are awesome.  My builder of my last house told me that I would have to drive a tank through the door to get in after he installed mine and ordered one for himself to mess around with.

Good luck and great start so far.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#17]
- I used door devil on my doors. Seems to be a quality product and was easy to install. I like that it's low profile, most guests (or people casing the house) won't notice it.

- A sliding door bar is cheap, looks nice, and will completely immobilize the door if trimmed to fit exactly. A dowel does the same thing, but the bar won't walk off, and you don't have to bend down every time you want to open the door.

- Not all window film is the same. Make sure you're getting a quality product like 3M security film, not some random ebay special. It also needs to be installed a specific way, do your homework on that because it's very expensive to get wrong.

- I chose Abloy deadbolts but Medeco is also an excellent choice. Keep the old locks and put them back on when you move out.

- Motion sensor lights front and back would be a good idea.

- Z-wave or similar home automation outlets and switches can be used to simulate someone at home. Even without the security application, it's a nice creature comfort.

- If Z-wave is too complicated or expensive, put your outside lights on a timer switch. At least the outside of your house will look the same every day, occupied or not.

- I like garage storage shelves to have doors. I don't want someone to see lots of expensive tools when my garage door is open.

- Cameras are nice, but remember that they don't actually prevent anything from happening. In that sense, they aren't a real security measure. Get a system you can look at live on your phone. That's great for situational awareness or ignoring the salesman at the door.

- Have a quick-access gun safe or pistol box somewhere near your bed. Big safes take too long to open in an emergency.

- Don't forget to buy and mount fire extinguishers, probably in the kitchen and garage. I just bought little ones from Home Depot, not sure how good those are.

- Curtains do a better job of obscuring the view into your home than blinds. Better yet, get both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top