Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2023 2:19:59 PM EDT
I was able to find a Henry X in 357 and should have it next week. I've been itching to build one of these Tactical Lever Action Rifles. I've been searching and it looks like options on handguards and stocks are fairly limited.  For the handguard you have Midwest Industries or Ranger Point, for the stock you have Chisel or Ranger Point.  I will most likely add a red dot or possibly start with the Burris fast fire I have laying around somewhere. I'll also run a few 38 specials with my Osprey 45 for fun.

I'm leaning towards Ranger Point for both, but would love to hear Pros and Cons for the Midwest handguard and the chisel stock. I heard the Chisel stock is heavy and that the model X is already heavy to begin with.

looking forward to some good feedback.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#1]
Can confirm chisel stock is heavy

Its a huge chunk of aluminum

Originally I wanted the MI rail that had the backup sights. I ended up going with the RPP Costa due to availability at the time. I personaly didnt like the way the RPP stock looks. So the Chisel was about the only option. I think there is one other with a synthetic type stock with a riser Ive seen pics of. Not sure who makes that one though

Its certainly not a light weight gun. But its not too bad. No idea on official weight but it balances pretty good

The pro on the costa is its suppose to make it more modular with the top rails you can take off the handguard. But honestly I dont ever envision myself taking any of the sections off.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
Recommend scope base modification:
I took an EGW base and had .120 one hundred and twenty thousandths milled .25 in wide path down the middle of the base. This allows you to acquire the iron fiber optic sights wit a red dot installed or should your optic fail, you can remove the optic and be able to use iron sights with the scope base still mounted.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chase45:
Can confirm chisel stock is heavy

Its a huge chunk of aluminum

Originally I wanted the MI rail that had the backup sights. I ended up going with the RPP Costa due to availability at the time. I personaly didnt like the way the RPP stock looks. So the Chisel was about the only option. I think there is one other with a synthetic type stock with a riser Ive seen pics of. Not sure who makes that one though

Its certainly not a light weight gun. But its not too bad. No idea on official weight but it balances pretty good

The pro on the costa is its suppose to make it more modular with the top rails you can take off the handguard. But honestly I dont ever envision myself taking any of the sections off.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/IMG_20230219_164513_234-2717398.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I saw your pictures in the Tactical lever picture thread and your rifle has been one I've considered copying. I go back and forth on the handguard, are you happy with the RPP?

I go back and forth on the RPP Stock, sometimes I see them and I like them, and other times I'm a solid no.  I like the Chisel, but wondered if the weight and added cost were worth it.

I did see one other stock, which is similar to the one standard one that comes on the rifle but has a cheek riser. https://practical-innovations.com/henry-form-stock---black-edition/
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Besides the misaligned mlok slot, the stock furniture is actually pretty nice. I'm replacing my handguard mostly because I want a side mounted light and side mounted sling. I'm keeping the stock though I do want to add a qd insert.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 66cuda:

Thanks for the info. I saw your pictures in the Tactical lever picture thread and your rifle has been one I've considered copying. I go back and forth on the handguard, are you happy with the RPP?

I go back and forth on the RPP Stock, sometimes I see them and I like them, and other times I'm a solid no.  I like the Chisel, but wondered if the weight and added cost were worth it.

I did see one other stock, which is similar to the one standard one that comes on the rifle but has a cheek riser. https://practical-innovations.com/henry-form-stock---black-edition/
View Quote

Yes I do like it. I see the MI rails are back in stock most places now so Id give that a good look too. Probably cant go wrong either way on the rails

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
With my X I went the opposite and added Henry wood.  I’m running a Burris FF mount with a vortex dot.  I love it!!

I left my marlins for the “tactical” upgrades
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I wanted to add a quick update. I went to the store to pick up the rifle I ordered and as I was looking it over I noticed that the rear sight was missing. looked through the box and it wasn't there. The guy at the store said Henry is having staffing problems and a lot of rifles are showing up with issues (not that I ever believe the stuff gun shop guy says...). They held the rifle until a manager arrived to look at it and call Henry. I got a call later in the day that Henry is sending a new sight and they would install it when it arrived, which would be about a week.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted to add a quick update. I went to the store to pick up the rifle I ordered and as I was looking it over I noticed that the rear sight was missing. looked through the box and it wasn't there. The guy at the store said Henry is having staffing problems and a lot of rifles are showing up with issues (not that I ever believe the stuff gun shop guy says...). They held the rifle until a manager arrived to look at it and call Henry. I got a call later in the day that Henry is sending a new sight and they would install it when it arrived, which would be about a week.
View Quote

I had the same experience when I saw my Henry X 357 at Rural King. The rear sight just fell off, like fell off. I still bought it as is since I planned on installing a XS sights lever rail so it worked out. Sent it to Loutham Gunworks for install along with a Ranger Point Precision handguard. Can't wait for it to get here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GeoVar:

I had the same experience when I saw my Henry X 357 at Rural King. The rear sight just fell off, like fell off. I still bought it as is since I planned on installing a XS sights lever rail so it worked out. Sent it to Loutham Gunworks for install along with a Ranger Point Precision handguard. Can't wait for it to get here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GeoVar:

My rear sight insert also fell off my .44, right after the 100th round. It went back in just fine but now I'm starting to wonder. I don't plan on using it long term; I don't mind regular buckhorns but I have a hard time lining this up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I had planned removing them for a rail and red dot anyways, so I consider just taking it as is, but something about the sight missing bothered me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 1:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyKnifeUSMC] [#11]
Ranger Point Precision is taking pre-orders on the Costa Lucas kit (which is what I’m going with for my Henry X .357). Check out Wolf’s Prairie Outdoors YouTube channel. He has the best content on lever builds  (I wasn’t able to hotlink).

Costa Luda Ranger Precision
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:07:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 66cuda] [#12]
I've got most of the pieces together now.

Chisel Stock
Ranger Point Costa Rail System with extra gator
Ranger Point hammer spur extension
Burris Fast Fire Red dot

I'm also thinking about adding a quiver for the rail and a hand stop but I'm not sure which yet. I feel like the Ranger Point quiver for the rail is too long for my liking.
For the hand stop I'm thinking something basic but not sure what yet.

here is the rifle with some of the parts. please forgive the messy workbench. Now I just need to find a time to put it all together.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I just finished building this rifle out. I haven't had a chance to zero or shoot it yet. But hopefully soon.

I added a Chisel 8 round soft quiver to the stock and a Hoptic 2X2 quiver on the rail. I threw a Burris Fastfire that I had sitting around and for the hand stop ended up going with an Arisaka. I also added the Ranger Point hammer extension lever.

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Upgrade to wood stock.

I wish someone would make risers for the front and rear OEM sights put them lower 1/3 co-witness to a red dot mounted on a picatinny rail. The factory fiber optic sights are amazing and it just sucks that you have to downgrade your iron sights to upgrade to an optic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got most of the pieces together now.

Chisel Stock
Ranger Point Costa Rail System with extra gator
Ranger Point hammer spur extension
Burris Fast Fire Red dot

I'm also thinking about adding a quiver for the rail and a hand stop but I'm not sure which yet. I feel like the Ranger Point quiver for the rail is too long for my liking.
For the hand stop I'm thinking something basic but not sure what yet.

here is the rifle with some of the parts. please forgive the messy workbench. Now I just need to find a time to put it all together.
https://i.imgur.com/UXmRh7V.jpg
View Quote

66cuda, I think your original rifle looks great and is exactly what I'm looking for. I'd love to learn everything you can share about it, PM is fine.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#16]
I just finished building this rifle out. I haven't had a chance to zero or shoot it yet. But hopefully soon.

I added a Chisel 8 round soft quiver to the stock and a Hoptic 2X2 quiver on the rail. I threw a Burris Fastfire that I had sitting around and for the hand stop ended up going with an Arisaka. I also added the Ranger Point hammer extension lever.

https://i.imgur.com/0iT2HO8.jpg
View Quote

I’m more traditional on my lever action taste but that’s a good looking setup.  I put a three lug on my Henry 357 X as that’s what I use on my MP5’s and Mini UZI.  It works quite well on the lever.

Only suggestion I’d have on your setup would be a lever wrap.  I went with brown on my 357 X to match the sling and black on my All Weather 44.  A black wrap would look good on yours and they add just a little bit of cushion to the lever.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By compuvette:

I’m more traditional on my lever action taste but that’s a good looking setup.  I put a three lug on my Henry 357 X as that’s what I use on my MP5’s and Mini UZI.  It works quite well on the lever.

https://i.imgur.com/PHqDHiP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/m4WcJGB.jpg

Only suggestion I’d have on your setup would be a lever wrap.  I went with brown on my 357 X to match the sling and black on my All Weather 44.  A black wrap would look good on yours and they add just a little bit of cushion to the lever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/0iT2HO8.jpg

How is it to install? I've been doing a lot of dry firing and working the lever lately and think I would benefit from a lever wrap. I could do a paracord wrap, I have a bunch of that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GGGBeo50] [#18]

View Quote

great minds think alike. I have the 45LC model. Im about 3 miles from Ranger Point Precision and i do like their rail with the gator options but this setup for my back pasture works great so far. 3 lug with tirant 45S. I have a couple reliable "fully semi automatic" rifles with 30 caliber clipazines on stand-by if this cant cut it. the 250g factory loads are still supersonic so Im going to do some custom handloads for this setup with some plated offerings.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:14:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#19]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

How is it to install? I've been doing a lot of dry firing and working the lever lately and think I would benefit from a lever wrap. I could do a paracord wrap, I have a bunch of that.
View Quote

Piece of cake.  Got mine from D4 guns on Amazon.  They had a YouTube link that showed you how to do it.

Also, I’ve been using Xtreme plated 158 SWC’s loaded to “full power” 38 Special.  They stay subsonic and sound good.  The Summit bullets are coated.

158gr X-treme/Summit SWC
4gr Win244, 1.46” COAL, Remington SP

17.4” Henry Summit:  1050fps
4” 19-3 Summit:  822fps
3.25” 66-5 X-Treme:  760fps
3.25” 66-5 Summit:  815fps
2.5” 66-7 X-Treme:  715fps
2.5” 66-7 Summit:  770fps
2” Magnum Carry X-Treme:  649fps
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By xdmikey:

66cuda, I think your original rifle looks great and is exactly what I'm looking for. I'd love to learn everything you can share about it, PM is fine.

Thanks
View Quote

What would you like to know? I think I've listed everything I purchased for it in this thread. As far as installing it all, I just followed YouTube video's. There's lots of great info out there. Happy to answer any specific questions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I joined the wood furniture gang today, little bit of a pain in the ass to install
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally added the new furniture…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By zpduff:
I joined the wood furniture gang today, little bit of a pain in the ass to install
https://i.imgur.com/GqUOxjZ.jpg
View Quote

Looks great! fwiw Midwest Industries sells 2 sight sets, one has a short pic rail but the other is machined to directly accept an Aimpoint footprint red dot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I didn't realize these were so popular!
theyre OOS everywhere online including locally
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 44 X.

Want to mount an RMR of some sort. What base is the go to for keeping things as minimal as possible?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Techsan02:
I have a 44 X.

Want to mount an RMR of some sort. What base is the go to for keeping things as minimal as possible?
View Quote

On my 357X I’m using a Hoptic USA  mount with built in rear sight that cowitnesses with the front sight.  Dot is a Holosun 507K.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Techsan02:
I have a 44 X.

View Quote

Originally Posted By arndog123:

On my 357X I’m using a Hoptic USA  mount with built in rear sight that cowitnesses with the front sight.  Dot is a Holosun 507K.
https://i.ibb.co/kB4SqR1/DA48-FF0-C-D11-A-4-AC3-9901-9-D4954398-EFC.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/2g91mFm/IMG-0192.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/DYTR2xF/IMG-0201.jpg
View Quote

That's pretty slick! Midwest makes a slightly larger version of that, Phoenix Weaponry makes a very low pro mount for pistol dots.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#28]
That hoptic looks nice.  I've got a pheonix custom on my Henry, seems solid and well made.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeSearson] [#29]
Here's one of mine.
Henry X-Model in 44 magnum
Skinner rail
Skinner LPVO (1x6)
Bowers 45 can
Streamlight white light and green light

I'm thinking of going with a Chisel stock and MI forend
Rangerpoint is trash.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I got the Henry X 357 and running the Midwest industries Ghost ring and rail setup with a Sig Romeo 5 RDS. While I haven't used the Tri-lug mount yet, I ran it with a direct thread Omega 36M and I happy with the accuracy. I wish there was a fiber optic insert for the front ghost ring sight. The big plus with this rifle is that it will cycle everything from 38 special flat nose wadcuters to 158gr JHP 357's with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Midwest_Ind:
If you have not checked it out already please take a minute or three and look at the new products we have for the lever action lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BxGeU8joo

Pete
MI
View Quote

These look great. Glad to see new options from you MI.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Midwest_Ind:
If you have not checked it out already please take a minute or three and look at the new products we have for the lever action lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BxGeU8joo

Pete
MI
View Quote

The ghost ring plus rail looks nice.  That might end up on my Henry X…….
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MikeSearson:
Here's one of mine.
Henry X-Model in 44 magnum
Skinner rail
Skinner LPVO (1x6)
Bowers 45 can
Streamlight white light and green light
https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/henry-big-boy-x-model-lever-action-rifle-670x447.jpg
I'm thinking of going with a Chisel stock and MI forend
Rangerpoint is trash.
View Quote

I had some upgrades recently, especially since my dedicated YHM R45 can came in less than 180 days

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top