Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2020 1:28:04 PM EDT
The first piece of the puzzle just arrived.

This will be fun, and probably stupid expensive (for me, because I am relatively poor).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never had such good luck with parts arriving in a timely manner.

The grip is temporary, have a magpul K grip coming. I may do a different barrel later too, as funds allow.

The blue isn't for everyone, but I am learning to like a little variety.

I will be shooting the shit out of it tomorrow. Pics show my 3 different mag options...just for fun.

It feels very light.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
the high capacity factory Ruger mags are slightly shorter than the 10 round rotary magazines... my Charger was not 100% with a factory 25 rounder, and had some problems on occasion with a couple of 15 rounders... if you tighten up the magazine to mag well clearances (I used a couple of layers of duct tape on the rear, and just around the side, so there is a hard fit when inserting a magazine) the reliability greatly improves... YMMV
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the high capacity factory Ruger mags are slightly shorter than the 10 round rotary magazines... my Charger was not 100% with a factory 25 rounder, and had some problems on occasion with a couple of 15 rounders... if you tighten up the magazine to mag well clearances (I used a couple of layers of duct tape on the rear, and just around the side, so there is a hard fit when inserting a magazine) the reliability greatly improves... YMMV
View Quote
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Testing those 3 types of mags (BX-25, Promag 30rd & 30rd metal head compacts) with 5 types of ammo.

The 30rd compact mags hate some bullet profiles, but run very well with others as long as you make sure they stack correctly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking good man. I love seeing Charger builds that arent just a Shockwave and a suppressor
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
HK-Dude... I've had really good luck in both my Charger and BRN22 based Steel Challenge 10/22 rifle with CCI Blazer... >2200 without a problem in my G44 (.22lr)... both the Charger and BRN22 are in PMACA chassis
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looking good man. I love seeing Charger builds that arent just a Shockwave and a suppressor
View Quote
Thanks, if nothing else it is a bit different!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HK-Dude... I've had really good luck in both my Charger and BRN22 based Steel Challenge 10/22 rifle with CCI Blazer... >2200 without a problem in my G44 (.22lr)... both the Charger and BRN22 are in PMACA chassis
View Quote
I have used Blazers in the past and they have been good in moat my guns.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The first outting wasn't stellar, but I am ok with that.

It was cold and windy, so I didn't have alot of patience to shoot a whole lot.

Short story for todays outting is that the 30rd compact mags ran the worst, a close 2nd worst was the 30rd promags (I know what everyone is thinking....duh, both those mags suck, but they were doing ptetty good in other guns). The BX25 mags were the winner for today, and it ran well with Armscor 22HPs, Remington Golden, Automatch and CCI Blazer HP bulk.

As it gets nicer outside, I will have more time and patience...haha.

Overall happy with the build!

Shot my AR .22 PDW after and it runs like a fricking sewing machine...100% with 250 rounds of mixed ammo through 10-25rd mags.

Love this little thing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Had it out again today for another quick test drive.

Just used the 5 BX25 mags this time.

Armscor HPs 25/25
Automatch 25/25
Blazer HP bulk 25/25
Remington Golden 25/25

Old wally world 550 federal bulk pack..too many issues to count.

Very happy this outting. I don't care if the old federal bulk doesn't work. I will shoot them up in my AR22.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Short story for todays outting is that the 30rd compact mags ran the worst, a close 2nd worst was the 30rd promags (I know what everyone is thinking....duh, both those mags suck, but they were doing ptetty good in other guns). The BX25 mags were the winner for today, and it ran well with Armscor 22HPs, Remington Golden, Automatch and CCI Blazer HP bulk.

Shot my AR .22 PDW after and it runs like a fricking sweing machine...100% with 250 rounds of mixed ammo through 10-25rd mags.

Love this little thing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3591/20200308_150603_jpg-1314004.JPG
View Quote
Dam that thing is the kitties titties. Freakin sweet
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Charger looks great. Is that a pmaca long nose with a charger receiver? How stable is it without the rear tang?
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#13]
IRar... I'm not the OP, but have built two PMACA chassis 10/22s, one a Charger.... I was able to solidly bed my BRN22 based Steel Challenge rifle by using a pressure point in the nose of my lightweight PMACA chassis... the rail extension on the bottom of the fore end had protruding cap screws... and I noticed that a thick piece of Picatinny rail appeared to have a similar radius to that of the barrel's...the rail section is located by placing over one of the protruding screws, and a cola can shim of about .020" provided a tight interference fit... a longer 12-24 cap screw with flat and lock washer tightened things down... a single cola can shim anchored the rear of the receiver, an "L" shaped bend holds it in place
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#14]
@HK_DUDE mind sharing the build info on your PDW?
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Charger looks great. Is that a pmaca long nose with a charger receiver? How stable is it without the rear tang?
View Quote
This chassis is made by Enoch Industries. It is the deep 6 chassis. They make one with a shorter nose as well. I like it alot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@HK_DUDE mind sharing the build info on your PDW?
View Quote
The AR .22LR PDW is an Aero precision upper and lower, KNS rail adaptor with SB 1913 Brace. I shortend and threaded a 5.56 barrel to about 4.5". It has a SS CMMG .22 conversion kit. I feel the kits that use the 5.56 chamber adaptor are more reliable then the ones with the dedicated .22LR barrel. Short MI Combat rail upfront. Larue MBT trigger, grey Magpul MOE grip and MLOK handstop. Lots of Blue Stike Industries goodies to finish it off. Lastly, a Holosun HS503GU on top of a Strike Industries riser mount. Run blackdog SS lip mags.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The AR .22LR PDW is an Aero precision upper and lower, KNS rail adaptor with SB 1913 Brace. I shortend and threaded a 5.56 barrel to about 4.5". It has a SS CMMG .22 conversion kit. I feel the kits that use the 5.56 chamber adaptor are more reliable then the ones with the dedicated .22LR barrel. Short MI Combat rail upfront. Larue MBT trigger, grey Magpul MOE grip and MLOK handstop. Lots of Blue Stike Industries goodies to finish it off. Lastly, a Holosun HS503GU on top of a Strike Industries riser mount. Run blackdog SS lip mags.
View Quote
Very nice, thanks for the breakdown!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#18]
my SBR's ~10" CmmG dedicated .22lr upper and stainless bolt system run very well with the BlackDog stainless lip mags you use... the newer magazines (sonic welded not screwed together) are somewhat smoother investment cast and work very well... I have a 16" dedicated upper that was considerably more accurate than the barrel insert in a 5.56 barrel if accuracy is something you are later looking for... regards
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The AR .22LR PDW ... has a SS CMMG .22 conversion kit. I feel the kits that use the 5.56 chamber adapter are more reliable then the ones with the dedicated .22LR barrel....
View Quote

CMMG has, for some time, done a pretty good job of smoothing the transition up the ramp and into the chamber on their adapter.  You can get the same or better reliability with a dedicated barrel and collar assembly.  Before you install the barrel into the upper, snap the collar on the barrel and mark the (bottom of) chamber lip at the collar ramp location.  Take the collar off and "throat"/"ramp"/"chamfer" the barrel chamber lip at the location marked.  Then put the collar back on. Polish the collar ramp/chamber lip path to achieve a seamlessly smooth path for the cartridge to slide from the magazine and into the chamber, much like what is on the adapter.  Make sure that you clean the barrel and collar before you install the barrel in the upper receiver.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.

ETA photo of 'throated" chamber lip:
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you to both of you for the tips on the CMMG dedicated set up. I still have that collar and barrel, so may get back to that some time this spring.

In the mean time, the charger has had some changes. I changed the MOE pistol geip out to a magpul K grip, as I figured that would be perfect. It is so damn small, I ditched it right away. Went back the MOE as they are my favorite grip.

Did some careful detail sanding on my disc sander and came up with (what I think) is the perfect grip.

Attachment Attached File

Then changed out the griffin rail cover up front with a magpul MLOK hand stop and added a short magpul poly rail section to add a cheap little bipod for when I feel it necessary.

Lastly, ordered and received a 6" acculite whistle pig .920 diameter barrel and finished it off with a MI blast can. If/when I ever get a little. 22 suppressor, it will be ready to swap out.

Ordered 6 more BX25 mags so I now have 11..the problem is do I sell 1 to get to 10 or buy 4 more to get to 15...I am wierd that way.

I think I am done....we shall see;)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Dang dude that's slicker than grease on ice. Very cool.

How do you like that Whistling Pig barrel? I have my eye on that exact barrel for my Charger when I finally decide to rebuild it in a chassis
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dang dude that's slicker than grease on ice. Very cool.

How do you like that Whistling Pig barrel? I have my eye on that exact barrel for my Charger when I finally decide to rebuild it in a chassis
View Quote

Well thank you. My late father had a similar saying "Slicker than greased cat $hit on a skateboard"

I just received the barrel yesterday. Haven't shot it yet. It looks very nice in appearance anyway. Nice machining, great matte finish. Fit nice and tight into the receiver with no sanding. Very light.

I have decided I need to do a little "dehorning" on the front corners of the MOE grip...then the grip will be perfect..haha.

As soon as our local outdoor range opens, I will be shooting the hell out of it again. I will also be able to sight it in properly.

Can't wait.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome

Looking forward to hearing more and seeing more
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool build
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Very nice.  Love shorties

Can you take a picture form the top.  Want to see the clearance for a bulk barrel and 1.1” suppressor
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Here you go.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Yes, my gun room is a hot mess at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Sweet thanks.  Looks good. Love these pistols.

Any accuracy testing?

Trying to see how accurate pistol 10/22 barrels are compared to 16-20” barrels at 25-50 yards.

Short pistols are easy and fun for kids but they need to be decently accurate so they can hit stuff.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been so busy with work that I haven't done much for accuracy testing. I have about 500 or so rounds through it.

It likes BX25s and pretty much any ammo...for reliability anyway.

It is in my short list to sight in again and see how good it will do. Keeping in mind it just has a Holoson on it, no scope. I have no intentions of scoping it.

Added...to be honest, I prefer my little AR .22 pistol ergos to the charger, but it's cool none the less.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have been so busy with work that I haven't done much for accuracy testing. I have about 500 or so rounds through it.

It likes BX25s and pretty much any ammo...for reliability anyway.

It is in my short list to sight in again and see how good it will do. Keeping in mind it just has a Holoson on it, no scope. I have no intentions of scoping it.

Added...to be honest, I prefer my little AR .22 pistol ergos to the charger, but it's cool none the less.
View Quote

That’s interesting.  I have the POF rebel 22 and it’s a hoot to shoot but I have and itch to scratch with a charger
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Any chance you might be interested in selling the OEM barrel you replaced?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Put a budget 1.5 - 6 power scope on the Charger that I had laying around.

Only shot it at 25 yards, off a shitty rest, but it showed great potential with simple Remington Golden.

With any luck, I will get to shot it at 50 with a decent rest before it gets too cold.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:13:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Shot my AR .22 PDW after and it runs like a fricking sewing machine...100% with 250 rounds of mixed ammo through 10-25rd mags.

Love this little thing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3591/20200308_150603_jpg-1314004.JPG
View Quote

I have a dedicated .22lr upper

I bunch of pistol lowers, thx to PSA and memes

I might have to look into building a .22 PDW
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Sweet can’t wait to see some 50 yard groups with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Attachment Attached File

Thing is I guess it all depends on what you think that those over-priced chassis can do for you and I could not think of a thing given what I intended for my Charger.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/c_001__2__JPG-1585695.JPG

Thing is I guess it all depends on what you think that those over-priced chassis can do for you and I could not think of a thing given what I intended for my Charger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/c_001__2__JPG-1585695.JPG

For me, I don't think I really expect it to do anything different. I just appreciate the nice machining and quality....and I think they are aesthetically pleasing.

Sometimes it's ok to like nice things.

A Yugo would get me to work and back, that doesn't mean that is what I want to drive.

It goes without saying....to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#36]
My Charger is sitting at the pawn shop waiting on Herr Inslees (our governor) men to approve my ownership of said scary assault weapon and Fedex is dropping off my scope tomorrow. This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Braced Chargers are the best. That is all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#38]
is this the only chassis that has railed back end for folders?

SBR'd a 10/22 before braces and the rule change making it harder submit trusts...  haven't really found it a good home in all that time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top