BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2021 2:43:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the 30-06 made specifically for the M1 still OK?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a feeling this will go like other ammo related threads. Just be aware I am watching and no warnings will be given if bickering starts. Keep it civil and keep it tight or you will get a timeout.
View Quote
No problem here... CMP and I agree on this.

They just said that commercial ammo is fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah Hoooo boy!   Sounds like ol'Jeremy just got schooled. LOL!

Link sez ammo pressure limit for 'Garand-Safe' .30-06 is 50K C.U.P. limit  ... or else possible KABOOM-ski!

I think CMP got wind that M1 Funsters like me are running 220gn '06 slugs at 2425fps thru 16.1" Mini-Gs, and luvin' the fuk outta it.

'Course anyone with a Mini-G is also running the most-awesome Schuster M1 adjustable gas plug, so KABOOM-ski! issues are, well, ... non-issues.  

Sounds like a sort of CYA/word-to-the-wise from CMP for those shooting that hot-ish HXP through their  '70-year old' warhorse.  Or playing around with heavier than 150gn bullets in their handloads.

Just run the Schuster plug if you're goosey. Not like they're making more factory-new M1s, and prices on these old dogs are rising quickly, dontcha know.

Word.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If thats what you think...I suggest learning how to read english correctly.

Quoted:
Link sez ammo pressure limit for 'Garand-Safe' .30-06 is 50K C.U.P. limit  ... or else possible KABOOM-ski!

Yep...50k CUP is SAAMI max pressure for 30-06... I agree don't shoot over SAAMI spec ammo...but since commercial ammo is made to SAAMI spec we don't have to worry about that according to CMP  :D

Quoted:
I think CMP got wind that M1 Funsters like me are running 220gn '06 slugs at 2425fps thru 16.1" Mini-Gs, and luvin' the fuk outta it.

'Course anyone with a Mini-G is also running the most-awesome Schuster M1 adjustable gas plug, so KABOOM-ski! issues are, well, ... non-issues.  

Sounds like a sort of CYA/word-to-the-wise from CMP for those shooting that hot-ish HXP through their  '70-year old' warhorse.  Or playing around with heavier than 150gn bullets in their handloads.

Just run the Schuster plug if you're goosey. Not like they're making more factory-new M1s, and prices on these old dogs are rising quickly, dontcha know.

Word.

The other thing worth mentioning....is if CMP says 50k CUP is max pressure for garands....will they stop selling .308 garands?

SAAMI max pressure for 308 is.....  wait for it....  

52k CUP!

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Commericial ammo with a bullet weight under 172-174 grains.

Quoted:
The other thing worth mentioning....is if CMP says 50k CUP is max pressure for garands....will they stop selling .308 garands?

They said not to fire 30-06 ammunition that is over 50k in Garands. So don't fire 30-06 ammunition over 50k in a .308 Garand and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Commericial ammo with a bullet weight under 172-174 grains.

They said not to fire 30-06 ammunition that is over 50k in Garands. So don't fire 30-06 ammunition over 50k in a .308 Garand and you'll be fine.
View Quote
You are missing what was sent out...

when read properly it says this..
They said ammo that is OVER 50k CUP AND 172 gr is bad.
However...

50k CUP is SAAMI max so ALL commercial ammo is under this.
In essence CMP just stated all commercial ammo is fine. Only the 172gr limit applied if it was OVER SAAMI spec.

RE: 308... if over 50k is UNSAFE in 30-06 why is it SAFE to shoot 52k in a 308?

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

However...

In essence CMP just stated all commercial ammo is fine. Only the 172gr limit applied if it was OVER SAAMI spec.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

However...

Isn't 50k the max average, not absolute max? IE, variations in commercial ammunition could be as high as 53k, so don't use ammunition loaded to SAAMI specs with bullets of that weight?

IOW, I was reading it as "don't use ammunition that might exceed 50k with bullets over 172". Otherwise, they wouldn't they just say "use ammunition loaded to SAAMI specifications"?

.308 Garand barrels seem to have a larger gas port than 30-06 ones. Which would suggest a lower pressure at that point when shooting 308 than 30-06. Not sure if that is due to different powders or the smaller case size though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Isn't 50k the max average, not absolute max? IE, variations in commercial ammunition could be as high as 53k, so don't use ammunition loaded to SAAMI specs with bullets of that weight?

IOW, I was reading it as "don't use ammunition that might exceed 50k with bullets over 172". Otherwise, they wouldn't they just say "use ammunition loaded to SAAMI specifications"?

.308 Garand barrels seem to have a larger gas port than 30-06 ones. Which would suggest a lower pressure at that point when shooting 308 than 30-06. Not sure if that is due to different powders or the smaller case size though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However...

I'm thinking CMP didn't understand what they were writing when trying to say something else....  if thats the case I question the person who wrote its abilty to discus the garand in detail.

308s require more gas since they have less case capacity.  

But the 50k CUP pressure mentioned in the email is specifically CHAMBER pressure....  chamber pressure is not an indicator of safe "PORT" pressure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm thinking CMP didn't understand what they were writing when trying to say something else....  if thats the case I question the person who wrote its abilty to discus the garand in detail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That could very well be.

308s require more gas since they have less case capacity.  

But the 50k CUP pressure mentioned in the email is specifically CHAMBER pressure....  chamber pressure is not an indicator of safe "PORT" pressure.

Ideal gas law would mean the smaller initial volume would result in a lower pressure at the gas port since the amount of barrel volume before the gas port would be the same (the two barrels have the same inside dimensions past the chamber).

30-06 cartridge volume is ~4.4 ml and a .308 is ~3.6 ml. Which means the 308 has about 82% the case capacity. A rough figure for the barrel volume before the gas port is 23.2 ml. All else being equal*, the 308 gas pressure would dissipate to about 13.4% of the chamber pressure. The 30-06 would dissipate to about 16% of the chamber pressure. 13.4% of 52k is 6,968 and 16% of 50k is 8k, so the 308 would appear to have significantly lower pressure at the gas port. Granted this takes a lot of assumptions and CUP is not the same as PSI, but the reduced pressure of the 308 would jive with the larger gas port. AIUI, the issue with too high of pressures is not the pressure itself, but the spike of pressure and the impulse that imparts on the op rod. The lower numbers of the 308 would seem to mitigate that spike of pressure.

* Assume a frictionless Garand on an infinite plane.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That could very well be.

Ideal gas law would mean the smaller initial volume would result in a lower pressure at the gas port since the amount of barrel volume before the gas port would be the same (the two barrels have the same inside dimensions past the chamber).

30-06 cartridge volume is ~4.4 ml and a .308 is ~3.6 ml. Which means the 308 has about 82% the case capacity. A rough figure for the barrel volume before the gas port is 23.2 ml. All else being equal*, the 308 gas pressure would dissipate to about 13.4% of the chamber pressure. The 30-06 would dissipate to about 16% of the chamber pressure. 13.4% of 52k is 6,968 and 16% of 50k is 8k, so the 308 would appear to have significantly lower pressure at the gas port. Granted this takes a lot of assumptions and CUP is not the same as PSI, but the reduced pressure of the 308 would jive with the larger gas port. AIUI, the issue with too high of pressures is not the pressure itself, but the spike of pressure and the impulse that imparts on the op rod. The lower numbers of the 308 would seem to mitigate that spike of pressure.

* Assume a frictionless Garand on an infinite plane.

View Quote
And 30-06 gas port is ~ .078
308 is from .095 to .101 or so..it varies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If thats what you think...I suggest learning how to read english correctly.

Yep...50k CUP is SAAMI max pressure for 30-06... I agree don't shoot over SAAMI spec ammo...but since commercial ammo is made to SAAMI spec we don't have to worry about that according to CMP  :D

SAAMI max pressure for 308 is.....  wait for it....  

52k CUP!

View Quote

people who have been to the stores say otherwise but I've seen posts from CMP on their forums saying they have no plans to offer more .308 Garands. Maybe this was why.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

people who have been to the stores say otherwise but I've seen posts from CMP on their forums saying they have no plans to offer more .308 Garands. Maybe this was why.
View Quote
Not likely....otherwise Navy Mk2s and BM59s and Garand Tipo 2s wouldn't exist.

Its probably a supply demand issue....not 2k CUP difference...which isn't a big deal at all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its probably a supply demand issue....not 2k CUP difference...which isn't a big deal at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People seem to be screaming for .308 M1s, and they're built around new made barrels. The supply should be as simple as ordering a batch. "Ream the chambers of the barrels in order number 87 to .308 please".

But they don't.

ETA-and thw Navy rifles and Tipo 2s aren't current CMP builds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn't change the mechanics of 52k cup is more than the 50k cup warning from CMP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#16]
This is disappointing.

Lots of posts, including discussions of ideal gas law, and yet not one insult, claim about a person's linage, or challenges to a duel.

C'mon people, we're talking about what ammo could make an M1 blow up.  It's time to get nasty and personal!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is disappointing.

Lots of posts, including discussions of ideal gas law, and yet not one insult, claim about a person's linage, or challenges to a duel.

C'mon people, we're talking about what ammo could make an M1 blow up.  It's time to get nasty and personal!
View Quote
Only uneducated ruffians and scoundrels do that.. .
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is disappointing.

View Quote

There has been plenty of pissing contests over on the CMP M1 Garand forum if you have to have it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a crate of M2 Ball, and 2K rounds of Greek HXP.

I think I'm fine for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is disappointing.
View Quote

LOL!

But on a serious point, it would be a sad day if CMP won't build any of those RG or FG Specials with .308 Criterion barrels anymore because of C.U.P. concerns.  Even with the pitted receivers, those M1s would make for great shooters.

About six years or so ago at the Nat'l Matches, I bought a .308 M1 built on an HRA receiver using a Criterion tube. I think CMP called this run the 'Special Receivers,' as they were also selling some built on S.A. receivers. Both types used unpitted Grade 2 condition receivers. Both were also sold stocked in new Dupage wood. All other parts were USGI. Basically you got a Service Grade-level 308 M1 for just under $1K.

Great looking rifle, and it's probably my best shooter.

Very sad if they won't be building more .308s due to C.U.P. fears.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And if that is the reason...then THAT is sad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I think they have had a ton of new buyers, lots of questions (caused by M2 ammo shortage), and they are trying to get ahead of that wave before it starts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think they have had a ton of new buyers, lots of questions (caused by M2 ammo shortage), and they are trying to get ahead of that wave before it starts.
View Quote
maybe so...but that email is horribly worded and basically "extremely confusing" for ANY new shooter.

Can you imagine the google hits for CUP pressure ammo now?

Thats all thats over FB...how do I find out the CUP of my ammo..is it safe?? blah blah...

Thanks CMP...turd in the punchbowl with that email...
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
maybe so...but that email is horribly worded and basically "extremely confusing" for ANY new shooter.

Thats all thats over FB...how do I find out the CUP of my ammo..is it safe?? blah blah...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I agree the Warning wasn't particularly well-written.

It will be interesting to see if CMP provides any follow-ups or 'clarifications' to what they were trying to say in the Warning. No doubt they're probably getting a lotta emails with questions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

People seem to be screaming for .308 M1s, and they're built around new made barrels. The supply should be as simple as ordering a batch. "Ream the chambers of the barrels in order number 87 to .308 please".

But they don't.

View Quote

There are no specials of any caliber available on their website and their gunsmithing is limited to 15 orders per week. I'd guess they are concentrating most of their people on disassembly, inspection, and reassembly of "stock" Garands and not on the higher workload items like rebarreling.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOL!

But on a serious point, it would be a sad day if CMP won't build any of those RG or FG Specials with .308 Criterion barrels anymore because of C.U.P. concerns.  Even with the pitted receivers, those M1s would make for great shooters.

About six years or so ago at the Nat'l Matches, I bought a .308 M1 built on an HRA receiver using a Criterion tube. I think CMP called this run the 'Special Receivers,' as they were also selling some built on S.A. receivers. Both types used unpitted Grade 2 condition receivers. Both were also sold stocked in new Dupage wood. All other parts were USGI. Basically you got a Service Grade-level 308 M1 for just under $1K.

Great looking rifle, and it's probably my best shooter.

View Quote

That's the M1 Garand I have - the new .308 barrel, new stock, and I got a 1944 Springfield receiver that looked about brand new.  Great shooter, and a great rifle.  If you're not hooked on 30/06 for whatever reason, it's a better rifle to get due to wider ammo availability and lots of mil spec surplus rounds to blast with.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#27]
SAAMI switched 30-06 pressure specs from CUP to transducer PSI in 1992.

CIP switched in 2002.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#28]
A warning so simple, it is confusing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Self-edited:  Duped myself...
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A warning so simple, it is confusing.
View Quote
A warning that basically said all commercial ammo is fine in the garand isn't really a warning..more like a clarification.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#31]
tomato tomato
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#32]
A Schuster’s adjustable gas plug is cheap insurance.
It also allows the use of modern ammo without the worry.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A Schuster's adjustable gas plug is cheap insurance.
View Quote
No reason to worry anyways..or use aftermarket gadgets.

Besides CMPs "warning" just said commercial ammo is fine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A Schuster’s adjustable gas plug is cheap insurance.
View Quote

In personal conversation with Tim, the Head Dude @ Shuff's Parkerizing, he said he's sent a whole passel of 16.1" Mini-Gs to his Alaskan clients. All run the most-awesome Schuster M1 adjustable gas plug.

While most of these AK-bound Minis are chambered in .30-06, and a few in .308, more than just a few are chambered in, .... [wait  for  it] ... .35 Whelen.

For the unawares and you 'youngins' out there, the .35W cartridge is a 30-06 necked up,to.35-cal.  

Tim said there's at least two .35W Minis in use on Kodiak Isl. They're kicking ass and taking names, or would be taking names if bruins had names.

Example here:  https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/threads/shuffs-parkerizing-mini-g-in-35-whelen.25256/

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In personal conversation with Tim, the Head Dude @ Shuff's Parkerizing, he said he's sent a whole passel of 16.1" Mini-Gs to his Alaskan clients. All run the most-awesome Schuster M1 adjustable gas plug.

While most of these AK-bound Minis are chambered in .30-06, and a few in .308, more than just a few are chambered in, .... [wait  for  it] ... .35 Whelen.

For the unawares and you 'youngins' out there, the .35W cartridge is a 30-06 necked up,to.35-cal.  

Tim said there's at least two .35W Minis in use on Kodiak Isl. They're kicking ass and taking names, or would be taking names if bruins had names.
View Quote
Totally agree when you have a modified gas system in the garand you will need something.

But for a bone stock garand gas system...not needed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Example here:  https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/threads/shuffs-parkerizing-mini-g-in-35-whelen.25256/

View Quote

Imagine a Mini-G in 9.3X62.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I think someone did put together one in that chambering. Might've been a Canadian dude, IIRC.

Not surprising though, as someone built up a few M1s in .458 Winchester Magnum. Lots of mods went into that set-up of course, but it held 5- or 6-rds and ran fine.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/06/oood-mccann-industries-458-win-mag-garand/
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Any thoughts on the Garand Gear ported gas plug? My supply of HXP is running low. I know Privi and a few others make a Garand load but I wouldn’t mind being able to shoot a modern hunting round out of my Garands.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on the Garand Gear ported gas plug? My supply of HXP is running low. I know Privi and a few others make a Garand load but I wouldn't mind being able to shoot a modern hunting round out of my Garands.
View Quote

The current interpretation is that previous concerns about commercial 30-06 were overly cautious ( or based on misinterpretations ~= as with 7.62x54 vs .308 IMO ).  Making such modifications unnecessary for ammo within the SAAMI spec for 30-06.

All the same, a high-volume gas plug is interesting to me.  So long as the rifle runs reliably I will give it a try.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on the Garand Gear ported gas plug? My supply of HXP is running low. I know Privi and a few others make a Garand load but I wouldn’t mind being able to shoot a modern hunting round out of my Garands.
View Quote

I've used one. I don't see any negatives with it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on the Garand Gear ported gas plug? My supply of HXP is running low. I know Privi and a few others make a Garand load but I wouldn't mind being able to shoot a modern hunting round out of my Garands.
View Quote
Its just not needed so no reason to get one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Load up till it functions in cold weather and then stop.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's also Schuster Mfg. which offers two types of plugs: adjustable and non-adjustable.

With the adj. plug, you simply tune your rifle by adjusting the internal screw incrementally until it runs reliably with whatever specific factory ammo or handload you're shooting. Literally, you're tuning the M1's gas system to safely run that ammo. That could be heavy 'hunting' '06 type ammo, like Remmy's 220gn Corelokt stuff, or a hot handload using 180gn, 200gn, or 220gn bear-smackin' slugs.

Schuster' non-adj. plug is a high volume type that reduces the gas by a set amount. Check their website for what that is. It's designed for use in a full-size M1, but I use it in my 18.5" 'Tanker' (in '06) and it runs fine.  ... My 16.1" Mini-G carbine was set up by Shuff's Parkerizing to run with the adj. plug. It too runs great.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#44]
For the record...a full size garand doesn't need any gas adjustments.

Shorter ones however do.

Interesting tidbit.

Fed 220gr operates at the same pressure as garand safe ammo.

So don't believe everything you see about commercial ammo being unsafe.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For the record...a full size garand doesn't need any gas adjustments.

Shorter ones however do.

Interesting tidbit.

Fed 220gr operates at the same pressure as garand safe ammo.

So don't believe everything you see about commercial ammo being unsafe.
View Quote

I dont think it's the gross pressure that's the issue. Its the pressure curve and dwell time at the port.

Heavy bullets use slow powders. Slow powders have too much pressure and dwell time of that pressure at the port. Thus forcing the op rod back too hard for too long.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Heavy bullets use slow powders. Slow powders have too much pressure and dwell time of that pressure at the port. Thus forcing the op rod back too hard for too long.
View Quote
That is a misconception...

Which rifle below is shooting Fed 220s and which one is shooting garand safe ammo?

https://i.imgur.com/q3c25cs.mp4

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Which rifle below is shooting Fed 220s and which one is shooting garand safe ammo?

http://i.imgur.com/q3c25cs.mp4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's the gauge showing the pressure at the gas port? By the time the bolt starts to move the gas is already past the port, so bolt speed has nothing to do with port pressure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I just ordered one of these:

https://m1thumbsavers.square.site/product/m1-garand-ported-gas-plug/4?cs=true&cst=custom

Anyone have any practical experience with them??

Seems like relatively cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Where's the gauge showing the pressure at the gas port? By the time the bolt starts to move the gas is already past the port, so bolt speed has nothing to do with port pressure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bolt speed has EVERYTHING to do with port pressure....

When the bolt is moving the same speed with different loads then the operating pressure is similar between the two loads...
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just ordered one of these:

https://m1thumbsavers.square.site/product/m1-garand-ported-gas-plug/4?cs=true&cst=custom

Anyone have any practical experience with them??

Seems like relatively cheap insurance.
View Quote
Nope since they aren't needed.  Depending on your rifle and ammo choice it may have cycling issues...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top