Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2020 12:00:02 AM EDT
I'm stuck at an impasse between a few different options. I've never owned what many would call a high quality long range rifle. Older synthetic rem 700 in 30 06 and a couple 7.62 units. The new rifle i'm considering is in 6.5 Creed. Would appreciate opinions on folks with some experience.

Currently staring hard at these options

Tikka T3x Tac A1 $1700   (Everyone is raving about it only downside is mags)

Seekins Havak Bravo  $1700 (I've heard good things but a few mixed things)

Custom Build from Mile High Shooting
AX Chassis with a long horn action and quality barrel  $ 3500   (Biggest con here is price but quality parts are undeniable)

Overall I'll be shooting occasionally out to 600 - 800 and further when I can travel to a better distance range.

I do plan to run quality glass NF , Leupold , Khales etc

Thanks

Josh
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were me, I'd probably get the Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor (about $900), have a gunsmith thread the barrel for me ($75), and put it in a KRG Bravo chassis ($350), then buy an MDT AICS Magazine ($40).  You'd be in it for $1365, and could use AICS pattern magazines instead of the Tikka mags.

KRG has a new X-Ray chassis coming out soon as well.  Might look into that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Like my Tikka- proprietary mags don’t bother me.stock isn’t the best, but it works and decreasing the weight was a thing for me (for a bench setup only, you might actually want more weight).

Mine came threaded so it’s can friendly.

It shoots better than I’m capable of consistently reproducing with ammo it likes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
MPA makes an entry level PRS rifle that is quite affordable..they also will build you a full custom off your 700 action for a pretty damn good price using top quality parts..might at least take a look... stuff flat works...

Entry level custom rifle...
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-pmr-competition-rifle/

Evolution build on your action...
https://masterpiecearms.com/mpa-ba-evolution/
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything is so good these days it's had to make a wrong choice.  How much money do you want to spend on just the rifle?

I picked up a 700 action and then ordered a Manners stock last year during the SH group buy.  The 2020 Snipers Hide group buy should start in the next week or two if you want to get in on that.

Since I placed that order a couple new aftermarket actions have been announced.  One is the very reasonably priced Mac Bros stainless action.  There's also some revised stuff from American Rifle Company to check out and the new Ruckus action from Defiance.

I haven't got any farther than this.  I'm still undecided if I'm going to build on the Rem action, regardless I'll be having LRI do the barrel work.

Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in the same position as you and decided on the Tac A1. It was a great shooting gun and I loved how it handled. Absolutely hated the chassis. If i were to do it again, I would buy a CTR, put it in a McMillan and then buy AICS bottom metal for it. That said, I sold the rifle and just picked up my Defiance Deviant action today to start a custom build. The reason i mention a CTR and McMillan is because youd be in it the same as the Tac A1 but IMHO have a nicer build. That being said, if you like chassis rifles, the Tac A1 doesnt disappoint
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for Tikka 6.5creed. I put a CTR into a McMillan A-series stock and freaking loved it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I've decided on going with a big horn TL3 and a bartlein barrel put together from mile high. While the Tikka sounds like the best out the box most of the custom actions out there are based on Rem700 units . So if I had to go a cheaper route I would now lean towards a bergara setup in a chassis since going custom later down the road would be easier.

My next decision is going to be chassis currently looking hard at the KRG Whiskey 3 , MDT ACC or possibly an AI AXMC chassis.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I've decided on going with a big horn TL3 and a bartlein barrel put together from mile high. While the Tikka sounds like the best out the box most of the custom actions out there are based on Rem700 units . So if I had to go a cheaper route I would now lean towards a bergara setup in a chassis since going custom later down the road would be easier.

My next decision is going to be chassis currently looking hard at the KRG Whiskey 3 , MDT ACC or possibly an AI AXMC chassis.
View Quote
You might take a long look at MPA's stuff as well, you won't find a better chassis anywhere and they always have all the trick stuff right now....They are well regarded in the PRS world...

https://masterpiecearms.com/cat/mpa-bolt-action/
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I have my Tikka in a MDT ACC chassis.  I'm pretty impressed with it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it were me, I'd probably get the Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor (about $900), have a gunsmith thread the barrel for me ($75), and put it in a KRG Bravo chassis ($350), then buy an MDT AICS Magazine ($40).  You'd be in it for $1365, and could use AICS pattern magazines instead of the Tikka mags.

KRG has a new X-Ray chassis coming out soon as well.  Might look into that.
View Quote

This is basically what I did; I got a T3 Varmint .308 (slightly heavier barrel than the tac models) back in 2007. It was about $700 back then and I had a Nikon 4.5-14 on it until a few years ago when I overhauled it with a Bravo Chassis and Vortex Razor. AICS mags are a definite plus
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top