Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2021 11:20:12 AM EDT
Has anyone seen pics of the new extended 16650 battery cap that @kirsh is speaking of in other forums?

Apparently Bering is testing the release to 1 US dealer as a soft release.

I’m curious if it’s the same cap I requested he suggest that Bering offer on the Super Yoter when it was in the t&e phase or if there is another animal loose on the market.

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone seen pics of the new extended 16650 battery cap that @kirsh is speaking of in other forums?

Apparently Bering is testing the release to 1 US dealer as a soft release.

I’m curious if it’s the same cap I requested he suggest that Bering offer on the Super Yoter when it was in the t&e phase or if there is another animal loose on the market.

View Quote

When you gave me all those tips about my Yoter-C in the other thread, I went looking for the 16650 cap that you said Europeans could get.... and I found this U.S. Site in IL:

16650 Cap

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool

Admittedly I’ve been focusing on using the Iray and HaloX so my market knowledge on this optic body series has taken a back burner

Thanks man
Interesting that it’s not the same as the euro cap. I can’t picture how the locking tabs are working with that one but it’s worth a shot.

The price jarred me at first but it’s not awful considering the Samsung cells and charger included.

I hate to say it but this is probably a Rico Alpha killer combined with the Super yoter at the current price and adding this capability.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, the price hit me too. I'm pretty sure I'm going with a USB pack, but may grab one just to have. I use 16650s in my MH25 when handheld. I was originally going to grey market import an iRay XClip CH50 v2 - since it was designed for higher base mag day optics, but the Yoter-C was just getting praised like a mf'er by guys who know waaaaay more than my almost zero thermal experience, LOL!  And, uh, a warranty is nice to, hahahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The price jarred me at first...
View Quote

Hey, I just ordered it - they have just the cap for $55.

DNO Cap Only
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hey, I just ordered it - they have just the cap for $55.

DNO Cap Only
View Quote

They made it easy to spend money didn't they.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do. Before that, I ordered an Anker 5K Battery holder (only) from another company....then I saw DNO had a complete kit, *including a battery* (not Anker though) - for about the same price as just the first holder! So I got that too, LOL! Two is One, One is None

I've already got four 16650s from Illumn.com for my MH25, so just got the cap.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They do. Before that, I ordered an Anker 5K Battery holder (only) from another company....then I saw DNO had a complete kit, *including a battery* (not Anker though) - for about the same price as just the first holder! So I got that too, LOL! Two is One, One is None

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you using flat top 16650 bats in your mh25? I’m using the capped 16650 Keeppower bats in mine but this Bering battery extender only accepts flat tops. I’m going to have to backorder a few because I can’t find any brands I trust in stock anywhere. Everything available is capped/“protected”
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are you using flat top 16650 bats in your mh25? I’m using the capped 16650 Keeppower bats in mine but this Bering battery extender only accepts flat tops. I’m going to have to backorder a few because I can’t find any brands I trust in stock anywhere. Everything available is capped/“protected”
View Quote

Ah crap - nope, button top on the MH25. 16650 KeepPower 2500mAh Sanyo UR16650ZTA 4.20V Protected Button Top.

I had to get Flat 18650s for the Jerry-C.

Let me know what ones you found, please - I'll B.O. too.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
@dzhitshard - the bracket on the bottom of the cap, is to hold the stock cap, apparently. Wish we had Bluetooth, LOL. Manuals at the bottom, in case your Yoter-C didn't come with one (mine didn't). Should be close enough for general operation.

Iray Clip CH50 Manuals
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ah crap - nope, button top on the MH25. 16650 KeepPower 2500mAh Sanyo UR16650ZTA 4.20V Protected Button Top.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not directing anyone to a non paying vendor but you may want to go back to your source you got your cap from. There are uncapped 16650s in stock now.

I also found protected uncapped 16650 batteries from state side sources for under $25 shipped on eBay.

IMO, you won't need protected batteries if you watch your charger, use a multimeter to check voltage & keep it under 4.2vdc off the charger and somewhere around 2.8vdc discharge. . . which is coincidentally the cut off voltage for the R35 units. 2.6vdc and lower can be problematic for some cells.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#11]
@mickdonaldson
@dzhitshard

How are y'all liking the extenders now that you got some time with them?

I missed the first round, but looks like that certain vendor has them up for pre-order now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a loaner optic for me so I've only got about 4 hours with it but no trouble yet.

The batteries the vendor shipped are button cap protected cells but are 200mAh lower rated than the non protected cells that were available.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@mickdonaldson
@dzhitshard

How are y'all liking the extenders now that you got some time with them?

I missed the first round, but looks like that certain vendor has them up for pre-order now.
View Quote

I decided to go USB (Nitecore Waterproof 5K & 10K) 24/7 - haven't even tried the cap yet - have it as backup.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry my rifle slung across my chest when not shouldered.  I generally don't like things protruding much from the left side.  Do you think this will be an issue?  I am currently using a usb battery with an angled connector and worry about damage from snagging the cable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I carry my rifle slung across my chest when not shouldered.  I generally don't like things protruding much from the left side.  Do you think this will be an issue?  I am currently using a usb battery with an angled connector and worry about damage from snagging the cable.
View Quote

I've got the Yoter Clip-On, so it's way out front - one of the regular Yoter/Hogster guys will have to answer. My USB cable is magnetic. I also bought some water resistant Multicam Cordura fabric on Amazon (~$15?), and might make a "wrap" that goes around the battery. Velcro and Shoe-Goo should do it...might even get fancy and use some elastic.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've got the Yoter Clip-On, so it's way out front - one of the regular Yoter/Hogster guys will have to answer. My USB cable is magnetic. I also bought some water resistant Multicam Cordura fabric on Amazon (~$15?), and might make a "wrap" that goes around the battery. Velcro and Shoe-Goo should do it...might even get fancy and use some elastic.
View Quote

How do you like so far? What are you running it in front of?
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How do you like so far? What are you running it in front of?
View Quote

I don't hunt, so it's more of a "better to have and not need" type of thing. My range on my property is only 50 yds, so it's zeroed - but being Winter up North, I have yet to stretch it out with live rounds. I do have giant ass farm fields that I've taken to for dry practice. It'll work for my purpose - the view at 4x (my base mag) was absolutely fine - and I think I cranked it up to ~8/10 and was still pleased. My dial goes to 16, but it was Cold AF and I didn't linger too long. I'm also a 'Thermal on Gun' newb, so what do I know. Somebody on here (maybe you?) posted a link to a thread on SH that pretty much sold me on it with all the praise... the posts from JStokes' ELCAN at 6x were the deciding factor for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't hunt, so it's more of a "better to have and not need" type of thing.
View Quote

Same. My setup is heavily biased for short range and it seems like the easy button for long range. I've been really impressed with it's ability to burn through fog/rain/snow so far.

I've found for high magnification I get a better image staying in the 6-8 on the optic and bumping the digital zoom. I believe this will effect drops though but I haven't shot it that far yet. My only let down so far is it's not great with my acog. Was hoping to run that on a carbine but it's hard to keep the reticle from going fuzzy. Might try out the PA micro if they ever release since it has a diopter.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

It makes no difference when you're carrying slung and hands on.

IMO, IF you're hands off slung you should be quick flipping the gun optic oriented down to the ground and hooking the sling on the mag locking it in ejection port side toward your body to keep it from flopping around anyway. It takes no more time to present from that position than any other.

The exposed cap wouldn't be a hinderance to me if I was carrying it regularly outside of work. I already make special handling allowances for a variety of hard to replace cables, tape switch connections and ridiculously expensive optics I bought with my own $$.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the feedback.  External powerbank as been working well for me so far, but it's always nice to have more options.

Quoted:
View Quote

Was worried about the same thing so here's the solution I came up with.  Tucks all of the wires nice and out of the way.  Still need to make a cover of some sorts to keep moisture out of the port area though.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#21]
That is exceptionally clean work. I had something similar but a little less refined until I fell down the rabbit hole of trying to record some with my Hogster R35.
Now I have to find someone to make me a similar angled USBC to RCA for the DVR. I pass it around a lot and I worry about someone making a mistake with the straight connector and damaging the female jack in the optic.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
How did you build that?  Are the components easily acquired?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the compliment.

Cable was super easy to make.  Mostly used leftover stuff from some custom keyboard cables I built awhile back.

What I used:
-USB Cable
-Gutted paracord around the cable
-1/8" TechFlex sleeve around the paracord
-Gold USB "A" male connector
-Flat right angle USB "C" adapter from HERE
-Various heat shrinks

Cable supplies came from CruzCtrl Cables but you can probably find them on Amazon as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you.  I'll order the connectors and see what I can do.  I think I'll like this option best.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I got a solid 5 nights under that extended cap and batteries now in a scanner roll and a handful of hours of it mounted on a loaner rifle.

The 1800mAh reduced capacity protected cell Batteries lasted longer than I did on the longest night.. 6.5 hours in 18-25f with a biting wind and I powered it down with all my gear before heading for home with it still being in the green.

*****These cells are a few mm shorter than Keeppower 16650s and that explains the 300mAh reduced capacity. The Keeppower DO NOT FIT with the cap.****

250+ miles or rolling around in the consul, a lot of walk in traveling with it stuffed in a coat pocket or in a bag with a predator call. zero cap disconnecting issues.

I've come to really appreciate the tether attachment point for the factory cap even though I've never lost it. Very positive locking every time, and Ease of use with gloves and all that jazz.

Using it in my Hogster R35 has once again pissed me off and made me question my sanity in repeatedly buying high dollar 640 optics.

This accessory earns the seal of approval.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for the compliment.

Cable was super easy to make.  Mostly used leftover stuff from some custom keyboard cables I built awhile back.

What I used:
-USB Cable
-Gutted paracord around the cable
-1/8" TechFlex sleeve around the paracord
-Gold USB "A" male connector
-Flat right angle USB "C" adapter from HERE
-Various heat shrinks

Cable supplies came from CruzCtrl Cables but you can probably find them on Amazon as well.
View Quote

Do you have any idea where one would look for that type of flat right angle USB "C" adapter with data lead in addition to the 2 power?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Appreciate the update on the extended cap.  Went ahead and got one ordered.

As far as the cable, I 've never seen a 4 wire setup for the specific end I bought.  
It definitely could be out there, as these ends exist.  That may be what's under the one I bought but I didn't cut it apart to see.

Closest I found is this Aliexpress item.  No idea on quality, but it's not exactly a complicated part either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Good report on the cap, thx.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Appreciate the update on the extended cap.  Went ahead and got one ordered.

As far as the cable, I 've never seen a 4 wire setup for the specific end I bought.  
It definitely could be out there, as these ends exist.  That may be what's under the one I bought but I didn't cut it apart to see.

Closest I found is this Aliexpress item.  No idea on quality, but it's not exactly a complicated part either.
View Quote

Thanks.

With the help of your link I was able to figure out the correct search terms and I found what I was looking for on Amazing and got it on the way.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Ordered the kit. Company rep was very helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks to this thread I did not even know this existed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#31]
And it survived a fool falling down a 5' snow drift with it in his coat pocket tonight. Another 5+ hour solid run and a REMARKABLE image from the Hogster in 98% -100% humidity in sub freezing temps.

That Hogster reminds me of the little dude from the Mike Tyson Punchout game. It just keeps clobbering other optics.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Bumping this to see if anyone running this has found a source for quality batteries. I did buy it and a couple sets I just don't trust the batteries themselves. It came with Vapce 2000mAh m20 INR6650 7.2Wh 3.7V. When i googled them they are pretty cheap crap from what I can tell. They work for now I just want some solid replacements. Thanks in advance if anybody can chime in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anyone know if that cap will stop the Hogster from shutting off when the weapon is fired? Would be worth the $$$ if it does.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I have never had that happen. I would contact bering. I think it has a 5 year warranty. The extended cap uses similar snaps to lock in as the stock cover so should be about the same contact. I am a lefty so it's not in my way at all when slung. That does suck that yours is losing contact. Also still looking for some quality batteries.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if that cap will stop the Hogster from shutting off when the weapon is fired? Would be worth the $$$ if it does.
View Quote
There are a few people who have issues with this. If you are using CR123s, it is typically caused by one of two things. Many users are not seating the battery cap all the way around. Twist and push and you should hear two audible clicks. The 2nd reason I see this a lot is many CR123s have a plastic lip on the negative side of the battery. Trim this plastic lip off as this has caused problems with lots of NV and thermals for a long time. The third thing is some doors simply need to be replaced but this is typically the exception and not the rule.

To answer your question, switching to the extenders can help because they use a different style of side clamps to connect to the battery compartment. Also, most 16650 batteries don't have the plastic lip I am talking about on the CR123s. This has been discussed before and people seem to want to jump down my throat whenever this is brought up, but rechargeable, internal batteries used in Bering thermals, are "Use at your own risk." This comes directly from Bering as it is listed in their documentation.

My recommendation would be to use a battery pack (without a magnetic connection) and your shutting off issues should be a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have never had that happen. I would contact bering. I think it has a 5 year warranty. The extended cap uses similar snaps to lock in as the stock cover so should be about the same contact. I am a lefty so it's not in my way at all when slung. That does suck that yours is losing contact. Also still looking for some quality batteries.
View Quote
Hogsters, Yoters, and Phenom have a 4 year, transferable battery. The clips are slightly different on the extended cap, so it should help make contact.

Although all 16650s "Are use at your own risk", protected 16650s are safer to use in any device vs unprotected (flat topped) just as a general rule.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for all the info. So does anyone have a source for high quality protected 16650s?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I use these in an MH25 when handheld. No idea on use in Thermals - this sh&t still confuses me even after dzhitishard explained it

Ilumn.com

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I use these in an MH25 when handheld. No idea on use in Thermals - this sh&t still confuses me even after dzhitishard explained it

Ilumn.com

View Quote
There are 3 extenders available for the Bering thermals. The one that people call the OEM version is the one that DarknightOutdoors sells, and then one from Apex3D and one from 3D Night Vision. As far as I know, the Keeppower 16650s are a bit longer and work in the last two but not the OEM version. The Jesspower and Taken on Amazon do fit the OEM version. I am not endorsing or recommending any batteries, just passing along information for those that decide they want to use them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top