Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2020 8:26:58 AM EDT
Posting this thread here in case you guys haven't seen it: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Super-slow-motion-22lr-AR-bolt-bounce-eliminated/15-752521/?page=1
He sent me the brass ones for testing.  https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-bolt-weight/
I have no affiliation with the vendor other than testing a couple weights.
I have info up on my site: http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=712

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My kits work 100% in FA. I’m not too sure I need to change the weights. I’m running an A1 upper right now but want to get a 4.5” one. The short one will e run suppressed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I can tell you from personal experience that adding the Bore Buddy stainless bolt weight will cause problems in a 4.5" barrel using standard velocity ammunition and stock springs. I added the Bore Buddy stainless weight to my 4.5" and it caused all kinds of problems with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. It ran just fine with CCI Mini Mags and CCI AR Tactical.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can tell you from personal experience that adding the Bore Buddy stainless bolt weight will cause problems in a 4.5" barrel using standard velocity ammunition and stock springs. I added the Bore Buddy stainless weight to my 4.5" and it caused all kinds of problems with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. It ran just fine with CCI Mini Mags and CCI AR Tactical.
View Quote
I mentioned that my custom 1.3 oz ss weight doesn't work in my short barrel either but the ADJUSTABLE Bore Buddy weight works in all my uppers in full auto.  4.5", 8", 16"
I discussed this in my last post in the other thread.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Super-slow-motion-22lr-AR-bolt-bounce-eliminated/15-752521/?page=4
I'm waiting for them to release a SS bodied version of below.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Waiting for the same.  More durable for certain and based on your testing it should add a good deal of flexibility. The stainless weight worked good for me with a can installed. Just seemed a bit much without it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been happy with the standard stainless steel weight so far. I don't own or plan on getting a silencer anytime soon so will just stick with shooting high velocity ammo in my 4.5" upper.

I just looked on the Bore Buddy website, doesn't look like they are even offering the brass weight anymore. Just the standard stainless steel (in stock) and the adjustable stainless steel (out of stock).
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I added to the other post about the Bore Buddy weight. I got my stainless steel adjustable version last week and tested it this weekend. I had an issue with the tail of my SSF hammer hitting the weight. A little filing and this thing made my 4.5" upper with a sparrow run smooth as silk. Anybody having trouble in full auto should try this. I am very happy.  Bob

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info on the hammer strike.  My weight wouldn’t work with my m16 with SSF pack and also wouldn’t work with my buddy’s standard m16 fire control group.  I didn’t spend time at the range figuring out why.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]
@deadeye99  Thanks you for your post and pictures.  I had the same issue and fixed it based on your post.

I had been having FTF mid-magazine due to bolt bounce and now I'm able to do full mag dumps again.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the adjustable worth the price over the heavy weight? I’ve got a 4.5” upper that runs smooth for the first mag then has failure issues after 2-3 mags.. running a Geissele SSF. I’m willing to give anything a try to get it running smooth.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@deadeye99  Thanks you for your post and pictures.  I had the same issue and fixed it based on your post.

I had been having FTF mid-magazine due to bolt bounce and now I'm able to do full mag dumps again.

View Quote

Glad to be able to help. I learn a lot here so it’s nice to be able to contribute.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is the adjustable worth the price over the heavy weight? I’ve got a 4.5” upper that runs smooth for the first mag then has failure issues after 2-3 mags.. running a Geissele SSF. I’m willing to give anything a try to get it running smooth.
View Quote

If you get the heavy weight and it works then probably not. But if it doesn’t then you still need to buy the adjustable one. The weights in the adjustable one slide inside on purpose and act like a dead blow hammer. It’s the best solution to an old problem.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info on the hammer strike.  My weight wouldn’t work with my m16 with SSF pack and also wouldn’t work with my buddy’s standard m16 fire control group.  I didn’t spend time at the range figuring out why.
View Quote

Glad to help.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The weights in the adjustable one slide inside on purpose and act like a dead blow hammer. It's the best solution to an old problem.
View Quote
+1, I'd just get the adjustable and be done with it.  It has worked in all my uppers while the heavy only works in some.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I started with the heaviest weights and they work fine.  I think it runs a tad bit slower but still sounds like 800 rpm.  4.5" barrel and AAC Element can.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I just purchased the stainless adjustable weight and a pack of buffers. My standard CMMG kit works pretty well in my M16 but we’ll see if it improves it further or stays the same.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I honestly didn't know there were different weights for 22 uppers. The one that came with my CMMG kit works great, I never have any issues. The only issues I have with my 22 upper is I can't shoot more than 500 or so rounds through it before I start getting jams due to the buildup of debris.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I honestly didn't know there were different weights for 22 uppers. The one that came with my CMMG kit works great, I never have any issues. The only issues I have with my 22 upper is I can't shoot more than 500 or so rounds through it before I start getting jams due to the buildup of debris.
View Quote

Same here. I’ve got a CMMG upper I cut down to 11.5”. With the CMMG auto sear trip and weight it runs 100% suppressed or not. Even when it gets dirty it seems to do ok suppressed for a little while.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#18]
For over ten years I've used CMMG (0.8 oz.) and Ciener (1.0 oz.) ABWs in conversion units with barrels from 10.5" to 20" - some suppressed, most not; and in addition, for over two years in dedicated uppers with 4.5" bbl. - some suppressed, most not, and 9" bbl., not suppressed.  Shot premium and crap ammo and stuff in between - standard and high velocity.  Don't have a forward locator (aka "pressure plug").  My M16 has all standard mil spec FCG parts so I can readily shoot 5.56, 9mm, or .45 ACP.

I've seen several threads on various websites over the years on people trying heavier ABWs to reduce ROF; and getting reliable operation with a variety of ammo and/or set ups was always an issue.  As long as I kept things clean, I've had reliable operation.  I'll pass.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top