Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2021 7:01:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems nice. I might look at it if I didn't already have an 1895 SBL.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Henry is making really nice really rifles these days. I need a side loading lever gun in .357, and they have my interest.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a good looking rifle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a good looking rifle.
View Quote
I gotta say, they sure are growing on me.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
That is really slick. Here's the article that picture is from; it's got some closeup pictures of the rear sight.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/08/04/tfb-review-henry-all-weather-45-70/

I'd like to see a 16" pistol grip AW Big Boy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle except for the pic rail. Just fuglys it up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Henry is making really nice really rifles these days. I need a side loading lever gun in .357, and they have my interest.
View Quote

Yes, yes you do. This was my first Henry in almost 15 years (had a 22). Will not be my last

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
This will replace my MR 1895GBL which found a new home.  Always wanted the SBL.  Marlin and it's safety buttons.....

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-weather-picatinny-rail-45-70-side-gate/

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Henry introduced their side gate guns right after I gave up hope that they ever would & purchased a Marlin 1894 CSBL instead, so you're welcome  

But an all weather side gate Henry would've been my choice if I couldn't have located the SS Marlin.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Needs to be threaded
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This will replace my MR 1895GBL which found a new home.  Always wanted the SBL.  Marlin and it's safety buttons.....

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-weather-picatinny-rail-45-70-side-gate/

https://hellograds.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/giphy.gif
View Quote

Super simple to replace the cross-bolt safety with a flush fit plug.

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I got to give it to Henry, they are really giving the customers what they want but I just can't warm up to them. I had a rimfire years ago and it was great but their centerfire guns just seem clunky when compared to Marlin and the Winchester platforms.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmm.. I wonder if there is enough room to thread it and relocate the sight a bit further back to clear the threading. This is a win in my book.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hmm.. I wonder if there is enough room to thread it and relocate the sight a bit further back to clear the threading. This is a win in my book.
View Quote

Ecco machine will internally thread the muzzle and make an adaptor that screws in and provides any muzzle threads you want.  No sight relocation or magazine shortening needed.  

Morgan at class 3 machining will externally thread the muzzle and make an adaptor.  The front sight may need to be moved/removed, but no magazine shortening required.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy shit... Henry is coming out swinging.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ecco machine will internally thread the muzzle and make an adaptor that screws in and provides any muzzle threads you want.  No sight relocation or magazine shortening needed.  

Morgan at class 3 machining will externally thread the muzzle and make an adaptor.  The front sight may need to be moved/removed, but no magazine shortening required.
View Quote

Yep I have had work down by both of them. I am wondering if it could be threaded and have a tri lug timed coreecrly to still allow the mag tube to slide out. A tri lug with a Rex Silentium MG7 458 would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep I have had work down by both of them. I am wondering if it could be threaded and have a tri lug timed coreecrly to still allow the mag tube to slide out. A tri lug with a Rex Silentium MG7 458 would be awesome.
View Quote

It's got a side gate so there's no reason to remove the can to load.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m aware. Just me being picky I guess.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody likes what they like. I wish they'd do away with the removable tubes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm probably going to go with a rail eventually on my X. Since I have to take the front apart (and the inner tube rattles ) I'm going to look into replacing it with a Rossi or Marlin part.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I am not so patiently waiting for them to offer the side gate version of the Big Boy in .41 Magnum.  Color case hardened would be Christmas come early for me!
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Can I get the rail separately for my henry model x?
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am not so patiently waiting for them to offer the side gate version of the Big Boy in .41 Magnum.  Color case hardened would be Christmas come early for me!
View Quote
That would be nice. I finally bought a .41 mag Big Boy because I gave up on the side gate version. Henry has every caliber in a side gate version except .41 and .327 magnum.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That would be nice. I finally bought a .41 mag Big Boy because I gave up on the side gate version. Henry has every caliber in a side gate version except .41 and .327 magnum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they came out with a side gate .327, I might be tempted to save up for one of those, and a Ruger Single Seven to match.  Seems like a fantastic cartridge, but I tend to like caliber-matching rifles for my revolvers, and much prefer factory jobs to custom one offs.

That being said, a thread not too long ago showed that even Marlin didn't have a side gate on their .32 H&R 1894; I wonder if there is a metallurgy limitation on the cartridge, or design parameters just don't work for it with a King Gate? (Not that I would claim to have any idea why that might be the case).
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The removable tube will let you quickly unload the gun without cycling every round through the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got to give it to Henry, they are really giving the customers what they want but I just can't warm up to them. I had a rimfire years ago and it was great but their centerfire guns just seem clunky when compared to Marlin and the Winchester platforms.
View Quote

I used to feel the same way until I bought a Big Boy Steel in .45 Colt. The action was very much smoother than the .44 mag Marlin 1894 that I had and found myself grabbing the Henry when I headed out instead of the Marlin.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The removable tube will let you quickly unload the gun without cycling every round through the chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rarely have the need to do that. My gripe with the removable tubes is that they have issues of their own and it's just one more point of failure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can I get the rail separately for my henry model x?
View Quote

It may be bad form to quote yourself but.....
The rail will not fit a model X.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#30]
That’s hot
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Henry chromes their rifles.  While not a bad method to obtain some weather resistance plating will eventually peel.  Truly weather resistant rifles use stainless in their construction.  Yes, stainless can still "rust" but the rifles are weather proof, but weather resistant.   And stainless won't loose a coating and rust much worse.  Or even worse than loosing the coating is a break in the coating that allows corrosion to start underneath where it is much harder to detect and treat.

Marlin did an excellent job making the stainless leverguns.  The stopped a bit short by not using a polymer stock set.  I'd love to fine some for my 1895 and 336.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#33]
As I understand it, the hard chroming that Henry uses actually bonds to the metal and will never chip or peel.  It makes it more corrosion proof than many stainless steel.  Way different than chrome plating.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:52:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks nice, but does not fill any niche I need filling.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Henry states that the chrome application is a plating process. It will sooner or later develop under coating corrosion. Once a break in the plating occurs the metal underneath is subject to corrosion.

Even stainless isn’t rust proof. But it’s more resistant than a plated metal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top