Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2019 10:04:31 AM EDT
So looks like they are updating or wanting to update the 4473 that we all use of course. So compared to the last change (2017 was it?) there’s a bunch of changes. Several fields moved and/or removed. Additional text added to certain questions etc.

I think the biggest change is the firearm info on front page above the actual Buyer info.

What does everyone think? I think Personally it will be a little easier to go thru because you have the main info you need right on front (Firearm info and Buyer info)

See the following link for the details and also there’s a link for the proposed form.

ATF Proposes Changes to 4473 Form - Lots of Changes Actually

(Btw I tried to link to ATF Directly for the actual news but I couldn’t find anything that was a laid out nicely to read. The link I attached seemed to be the easiest to read and had all the info presented nicely)

========================================

Also I saw in the last FFL Newsletter from ATF that they are started to allow variances to keep your completed 4473 By Electronic means. So you can actually scan it and save it that way or I suppose use the ATF eform 4473 Software they have already which they newsletter said was ok to use.

The only reason I bring up the variance is that it would make it really nice to go back to using a laptop/computer for customers to fill out the 4473. I made that change before (paper to laptop) and people had such a whiny bitchy attitude and wanted the paper forms back. So I went back and didn’t look back. But now that ATF is allowing electronic means of Form storage, I might look into it again because the form will change from it’s current format so maybe people will stop crying.

Anyone have any knowledge on if it’s a decent idea or not? I did see the requirements for the variance and there are a few required things which I didn’t like really like having to have the A&D for that form attached to it so when the form is pulled up, the A&D data for that should also come up too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The “Sex” box has been revised to include a third option of “Non-Binary”.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I also have no words for this......
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I’m checking that shit
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
The "Sex" box has been revised to include a third option of "Non-Binary".

You had to know it was going to happen...
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you check the "non-binary" box wouldn't that disqualify you from purchasing a gun due to mental defect?
View Quote
It’s just like transferring a stripped lower
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Then I'm guessing the question of "Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?" is redundant.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/f_4473_5300._9_pt._1_revision_09-18-2019_with_watermark.pdf

Section A looks stupid, but it will make it easier to manually search through the forms in most cases.

I think it is bad design to have the questions on 2 pages.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then I'm guessing the question of "Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?" is redundant.
View Quote
Remember, answering yes means that you’ve been found to be a mental defective in a legal proceeding.  It doesn’t mean that you are or not mentally defective.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn’t have thought that it would happen in this administration.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
So I can keep my Binary as long as I claim it as a binary?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Moved to main thread.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:22:29 AM EDT
[#14]
So when’s this new form coming in? I’ve not seen it in any local shops as of yet ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So when’s this new form coming in? I’ve not seen it in any local shops as of yet ?
View Quote
The comment period ends tomorrow.  Then they decide whether or not to make any changes.  Then they post it publicly.  Then the form changes, if at all.

It is a terrible change, which puts the firearm info and buyer right on top of each other on page 1, making it easier for ATF to illegally copy it and create a registry, a practice forbidden by multiple federal laws.  Laws defied by ATF agents on numerous documented occasions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:07:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The comment period ends tomorrow.  Then they decide whether or not to make any changes.  Then they post it publicly.  Then the form changes, if at all.

It is a terrible change, which puts the firearm info and buyer right on top of each other on page 1, making it easier for ATF to illegally copy it and create a registry, a practice forbidden by multiple federal laws.  Laws defied by ATF agents on numerous documented occasions.
View Quote
Huh. Sold/transferred 10s of thousands of firearms. Never once had an atf agent stop in to make copies of our 4473s.

It would however prevent someone elses firearms getting stapled to the wrong persons form.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’m checking that shit
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This, the new form is a quicker way for registration. Plus that non-binary shit?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Huh. Sold/transferred 10s of thousands of firearms. Never once had an atf agent stop in to make copies of our 4473s.
View Quote
I have.  He had a warrant though.  He was also nice enough to call ahead so I could pull the forms and have them ready when he got there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Huh. Sold/transferred 10s of thousands of firearms. Never once had an atf agent stop in to make copies of our 4473s....
View Quote
My last compliance inspection was in October.....they didn't make any copies but did take cell phone pics of a couple.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]
My understanding is... when received at ATF's OBRC, they scan them all (into OCR PDF).
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Any updates to this?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 4:24:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My last compliance inspection was in October.....they didn't make any copies but did take cell phone pics of a couple.
View Quote
I think that was same time I had mine.
He just went over a buncha crap in his laptop.  Some sort of like program it seemed like which guided him in how to do the inspection? Maybe? Idk.

He only looked at all mine for the prior year. That’s all he wanted to look at and then the only thing he came up with was a stack of forms for the same customer/client of mine he kept saying that the customer didn’t check his “race”

Actually yes the customer did and mr ffl licensee always checks his forms.

It was idiot inspector who was blocking the checked race with his thumb/hand everytime.
Can you believe that?

Yeeeassh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top