Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/23/2020 8:44:33 AM EDT
I'm going to be picking up my first ever 50 from my FFL this coming week.  I am not interested in the cartridge for precision shooting, and decided to go with a Barrett M82A1, specifically the 20" Vortex PST II package deal.  The gun will be pretty much just for fun, and maybe an investment if someday they're somehow restricted, but that's mostly just an afterthought.  I wanted the M107A1 20" as I enjoy shooting suppressed, and most all of my other guns have a can or two, but just couldn't make the couple of thousand dollar jump for the upgrade, and also didn't want to try to save more and in doing so end up high and dry should things get crazy because of the election year being compounded by the other nonsense going on.

So far I've got a LaRue 50bmg specific mount for the Vortex coming, and I already have a Comp M4 in a LaRue mount I may use with it as well (really looking forward to attempting a "run and gun" with it equipped with the red dot, I'm much larger than your average person and want to see what I can manage, seems like a great endurance exercise).  I have 3 extra mags on their way, and some M33 and M8 (400rnds total) ammo as well.  I'll probably stick with the M33 for range shooting, as the extra accuracy that the A-Max offers isn't worth the cost to me. I bought the spare parts kit too, as I'm worried I'll lose one of the pins and have a 35lbs paperweight until I can find a replacement. Trying to find ammo hasn't been easy, and I'm not sure if I should just get whatever I can now, just in case, or wait it out for things to settle down after November.  I'd like to build a base of 1K rounds, and only shoot what I can replace immediately.

I was looking for any tips or general advice people could offer for a first time 50bmg, and more specifically, M82A1 owner.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Pick up a 5/16 vacuum cap at the auto parts store and put it on your charging handle.   Dings your brass much less.   Just a kiss mark.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pick up a 5/16 vacuum cap at the auto parts store and put it on your charging handle.   Dings your brass much less.   Just a kiss mark.
View Quote

Exactly the type of in the know advice I was looking for, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Pay attention to where your hands are when pulling the spring loaded barrel keeper off for storage. Also so this while it’s flat and not with the barrel pointed up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the club...almost.  I, too, wanted to build a 1k reserve as soon as I got my first 50.  I was able to do it with a mix of API and M-33's for $1.60 per round including surplus brass cost.  The key to doing it that cheep is getting your primers locally and finding a bulk supply of virgin, surplus powder.  Surplus powder has been tough to find for the last few years but it's bound to hit the market again sometime.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pay attention to where your hands are when pulling the spring loaded barrel keeper off for storage. Also so this while it’s flat and not with the barrel pointed up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you for the heads up!  I did see the video MAC and IV8888 posted where he nearly lost a finger not following this advice, pretty gnarly injury.  

Quoted:
Welcome to the club...almost.  I, too, wanted to build a 1k reserve as soon as I got my first 50.  I was able to do it with a mix of API and M-33's for $1.60 per round including surplus brass cost.  The key to doing it that cheep is getting your primers locally and finding a bulk supply of virgin, surplus powder.  Surplus powder has been tough to find for the last few years but it's bound to hit the market again sometime.

I'm ready to get flamed as I'm ashamed to admit that I don't own any reloading equipment... Yet. It will likely now be a necessity, so any advice in regards to equipment would be welcomed and appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:59:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't worry about reloading equipment right now, just get your gun set up and everything working correctly. You can still find ammo relatively cheap for the .50 if you shop around.

When you're ready to start reloading, then start buying all the equipment that you'll need to get it done. The biggest issue that you'll have is which Reloader to buy.
View Quote

Makes sense.  Is M33 by PMC, AE, and LC all fairly equal?  Finding under $3 per round shipped seems nearly impossible right now for new-manufacture ammo. I'd also like to put away some AP and API just because it sort of follows the philosophy of the rounds intended purpose more than ball.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
AE and LC is the same thing in a different box.  I ran a box of PMC once and it wasn't as accurate as my hand loads of M-33 or API.  If you want to stock up for a rainy day, API bullets are still fairly cheap.  The last lot I got was .21/projo bought by the 1K.  M-33's have been showing up on GB recently for about .40 ea/1000.  Even black tip AP shows up once in a while for about .60/ea.  The supply of M2 AP, M8 API, SP, APIT, M1 tracer and M1 incendiary is finite so it would not hurt to get the projos now and worry about loading later on.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to be picking up my first ever 50 from my FFL this coming week.  I am not interested in the cartridge for precision shooting, and decided to go with a Barrett M82A1, specifically the 20" Vortex PST II package deal.  The gun will be pretty much just for fun, and maybe an investment if someday they're somehow restricted, but that's mostly just an afterthought.  I wanted the M107A1 20" as I enjoy shooting suppressed, and most all of my other guns have a can or two, but just couldn't make the couple of thousand dollar jump for the upgrade, and also didn't want to try to save more and in doing so end up high and dry should things get crazy because of the election year being compounded by the other nonsense going on.

So far I've got a LaRue 50bmg specific mount for the Vortex coming, and I already have a Comp M4 in a LaRue mount I may use with it as well (really looking forward to attempting a "run and gun" with it equipped with the red dot, I'm much larger than your average person and want to see what I can manage, seems like a great endurance exercise).  I have 3 extra mags on their way, and some M33 and M8 (400rnds total) ammo as well.  I'll probably stick with the M33 for range shooting, as the extra accuracy that the A-Max offers isn't worth the cost to me. I bought the spare parts kit too, as I'm worried I'll lose one of the pins and have a 35lbs paperweight until I can find a replacement. Trying to find ammo hasn't been easy, and I'm not sure if I should just get whatever I can now, just in case, or wait it out for things to settle down after November.  I'd like to build a base of 1K rounds, and only shoot what I can replace immediately.

I was looking for any tips or general advice people could offer for a first time 50bmg, and more specifically, M82A1 owner.  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

My buddy has one, with a similar optic configuration.  He was shooting reloads at 700 yd and busting 2 liters first shot.  He hand loaded.  All commercial components...
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My buddy has one, with a similar optic configuration.  He was shooting reloads at 700 yd and busting 2 liters first shot.  He hand loaded.  All commercial components...
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Shooting with a can, you'll want to start reloading.
Nothing like tailoring a subsonic 700 grn frag round for those times you need to obliterate something without waking the neighbors.
Have fun blowing Covid into oblivion !!!!
SJC
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shooting with a can, you'll want to start reloading.
Nothing like tailoring a subsonic 700 grn frag round for those times you need to obliterate something without waking the neighbors.
Have fun blowing Covid into oblivion !!!!
SJC
View Quote

Due to Barrett's stance in shooting the M82 suppressed, I may likely not venture down that path, sadly. It seems to be doable, just not worth the risk for me. I say that now... lol
I think reloading is definitely going to be in my future at some point though, maybe a couple years down the road.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]
What do you guys recommend for lubrication on the Barrett?  I was thinking a heavier grease like TW 25 might be best?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot subsonic frag loads out of my M82 for years, even though I never had a suppressor for it.
Never had an Issue, just had to cycle it manually.
I lubed my M82 with Kroil and medium frog lube. Nothing to thick.
Reloading isn't just for saving money, it's for peace of mind and non dependence on others to feed your beast.
While others are searching for ammo, your loading rounds and not worrying about not having ammo to shoot.
Not to mention being able to tailor a round for any specific application you want.
Freedom is non negotiable.
SJC

For your viewing pleasure ;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cK9WQeNqN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUAyag3slE0
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Due to Barrett's stance in shooting the M82 suppressed, I may likely not venture down that path, sadly. It seems to be doable, just not worth the risk for me. I say that now... lol
I think reloading is definitely going to be in my future at some point though, maybe a couple years down the road.
View Quote

He is talking about subsonic rounds that won't even cycle the gun. You aren't going to get the damage you would from a full power round.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When you're ready to start reloading, then start buying all the equipment that you'll need to get it done. The biggest issue that you'll have is which Reloader to buy.
View Quote

Where would someone with zero reloading experience begin?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top