Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2022 5:15:17 PM EDT
I screwed up and need advice on how to remedy the situation.  I’m putting together a lefty side chargingupper with a Triarc suppressor only barrel.  With a lot of unknowns, I wanted to function test the upper/barrel/suppressor combination withoutlocking down and rock setting anything in case the stuff wouldn’t function together.

The taper mount came off with the suppressor and I haven’t been able to figure out how to get the mount out of the suppressor.  I haven’t put a ton of effort into yet as I figured it would be best to ask here.  

Would applying rockset to the barrel threads and putting the mount/suppressor on and give it time to dry be a bad idea?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Rocksett or loctite the mount to the barrel, wait for it to cure, pop the can off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rocksett or loctite the mount to the barrel, wait for it to cure, pop the can off.
View Quote

this is my suggestion as well.  then, use anti-seize from now on.  

I'm no expert on mounts so I can't argue the benefits of one over the other, but most of my stuff is Griffin taper mount.  I had to go buy a strap wrench to remove my first silencer after a pretty limited number of rounds fired not long after I got it.  Thankfully the mount didn't come loose first, it was properly shimmed and torqued.  But it had me sweating a little!

Now I always use the anti-seize.  Griffin sells it, called horse jimp.  It's a small amount, think ladies lip balm, but it works and a little goes a long way.  Can be bought elsewhere, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm no expert on mounts so I can't argue the benefits of one over the other, but most of my stuff is Griffin taper mount.  I had to go buy a strap wrench to remove my first silencer after a pretty limited number of rounds fired not long after I got it.  Thankfully the mount didn't come loose first, it was properly shimmed and torqued.  But it had me sweating a little!

Now I always use the anti-seize.  Griffin sells it, called horse jimp.  It's a small amount, think ladies lip balm, but it works and a little goes a long way.  Can be bought elsewhere, I'm sure.
View Quote

You put anti-seize on the taper mating surfaces?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Put a drop of blue locktite on it because you're going to want to take it off and properly torque it again with rocksett once you get the can off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the threads between silencer and taper mount
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I will say once you get the mount torqued on and everything remedied, you really don’t have to muscle down on the taper mount suppressors for fear of them backing off.  Just thread it down and make sure it contacts the taper but don’t pop your wrist or anything, it’ll be fine
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a pin spanner that fits in the back end of Griffin taper mount devices in the rare event a taper muzzle device stays threaded into a dismounted can.

Properly torqued muzzle device and not gorilla tightening a taper mounted can goes a long way toward preventing this. Torquing the mount into the rear tube threads is the other joint that can sometimes unloosen.  My procedure is mount by tightening/gripping with body of can, and dismount by grabbing mount by hand or with hook spanner if I over tightened threading can onto muzzle device.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top