Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2018 4:01:14 PM EDT
I purchased a suppressor last August on Silencershop and had the suppressor shipped to a semi-local dealer.  I did some relatively short research on them prior to selecting them just to make sure that they were legit and they have several good reviews on Facebook.

I called the NFA branch 2 days ago and spoke with an agent on the phone who told me that the suppressor had been approved and that the paperwork would be sent out in 30 days.  She couldn't tell me if the paperwork had already been sent out or not, but to contact the dealer.  I then called the dealer and give them a heads up and to just make general contact with them.  I again went to their Facebook page to get the phone number and gave them a call during office hours, which it was.  No answer, generic party is not available message and left a voicemail.  Found them on Google and they had a different phone number.  Called it and it rang twice then had a weird dial tone, no answer.   Called them again yesterday on both lines, no answer and again a voicemail left on their one line that has a voicemail option.

What concerns me is that the most recent activity now on Facebook is from August of 2017.  I don't know if the guy is even in business anymore or even has my suppressor.

Has anyone run into a situation like this?  What are my options?  I am not trying to jump the gun, but figuring that he could have my paperwork, I think it would be appropriate for me to contact him regarding the status.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If you cannot make contact with him and the forms are approved I would reach out to your local ATF field office and speak with an agent regarding the issue.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you cannot make contact with him and the forms are approved I would reach out to your local ATF field office and speak with an agent regarding the issue.
View Quote
Realistically am I SOL?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I purchased a suppressor last August on Silencershop and had the suppressor shipped to a semi-local dealer.  I did some relatively short research on them prior to selecting them just to make sure that they were legit and they have several good reviews on Facebook.

I called the NFA branch 2 days ago and spoke with an agent on the phone who told me that the suppressor had been approved and that the paperwork would be sent out in 30 days.  She couldn't tell me if the paperwork had already been sent out or not, but to contact the dealer.  I then called the dealer and give them a heads up and to just make general contact with them.  I again went to their Facebook page to get the phone number and gave them a call during office hours, which it was.  No answer, generic party is not available message and left a voicemail.  Found them on Google and they had a different phone number.  Called it and it rang twice then had a weird dial tone, no answer.   Called them again yesterday on both lines, no answer and again a voicemail left on their one line that has a voicemail option.

What concerns me is that the most recent activity now on Facebook is from August of 2017.  I don't know if the guy is even in business anymore or even has my suppressor.

Has anyone run into a situation like this?  What are my options?  I am not trying to jump the gun, but figuring that he could have my paperwork, I think it would be appropriate for me to contact him regarding the status.
View Quote
Yes, I had a similar experience on my first Form 4.  I was trying to save money and it didn't work.  It was obvious that my host and can were gone, so my only hope was to get my money back and start over.  I had used a credit card and was able to get a refund on the card.

I learned a lot.

If your transfer was approved and you don't have the can ATF may be able to help. ATF will help FFLs complete transfers even if the FFL or SOT has expired.

My advise is to not worry about the can, just do what you can do to get your out of pocket money back.  If you can get your can...great.

In my case  the can was never transferred to the dealer so it was a civil fraud matter.  Since I got my money back I did not pursue criminal fraud charges.

Good luck.  Hope things work out.  We live and learn.

ETA:  If Martinsburg says the transfer is complete, don't call the local ATF regional office yet, ask the Martinsburg examiner for guidance.  If it is appropriate, they will tell you to contact the local regional office.  Don't get too many ball in the air at once.  The people in WV are a great bunch of people and will help if they can.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, I had a similar experience on my first Form 4.  I was trying to save money and it didn't work.  It was obvious that my host and can were gone, so my only hope was to get my money back and start over.  I had used a credit card and was able to get a refund on the card.

I learned a lot.

If your transfer was approved and you don't have the can ATF may be able to help. ATF will help FFLs complete transfers even if the FFL or SOT has expired.

My advise is to not worry about the can, just do what you can do to get your out of pocket money back.  If you can get your can...great.

In my case  the can was never transferred to the dealer so it was a civil fraud matter.  Since I got my money back I did not pursue criminal fraud charges.

Good luck.  Hope things work out.  We live and learn.

ETA:  If Martinsburg says the transfer is complete, don't call the local ATF regional office yet, ask the Martinsburg examiner for guidance.  If it is appropriate, they will tell you to contact the local regional office.  Don't get too many ball in the air at once.  The people in WV are a great bunch of people and will help if they can.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.

I tried to go about it the safest way, by going through Silencershop and having it shipped to one of their dealers.

My worry is that even though I technically paid for the item, do I have lawful ownership of it if it was transferred to the local dealer? Or is it technically theirs? I obviously have the documents saying that I paid for it. I did so with a credit card.

Yes, according to the gal from the NFA branch the stamp was approved on May 10th. I just worry that I'm screwed out of my can and out of my money. In the event that I do a charge back, does that mean silencershop will get involved and say they aren't responsible since they transfered the item since it was technically purchased from them?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up getting ahold of them. We're squared away. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Am I understanding this correctly, because it sounds to me like this is the first time you have tried to contact them? How did you submit the paperwork, or at least roll prints on the SS kiosk? Did you not "just make general contact with them" when you did that?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
If it was one of Silencer Shops dealers, they'll take care of you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top