Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2021 7:56:24 PM EDT
Meeting my BIL in the morning to work on his Larue 308 rifle that is not cycling....

He has a Silencerco Omega and he told me it had come apart, I just had him send me a picture and this is it.   I have an Omega, but changed mine to Dead Air Keymo a long time ago....I have not looked at a Sliencerco in a while.

Looks like the adapter on the end of the suppressor came off....and is still on the muzzle device.   What tools should I have with me in the morning to:

Get the adaptor off the muzzle device?

Attach the adpater back on the suppressor?

That adaptor does not look familiar to me, is that the ASR mount?   I have been using DA for so long now, I cant remember anything on the Silencerco mounts

Thanks,

Bronc

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That's an ASR mount threaded onto the muzzle brake.

It backed out of the suppressor.

1) Makes sure the locking collar is unlocked.
2) use a rubber strap wrench wraped around the ASR mount threads to break it loose.
3) if it's stuck, he may need to apply heat with a heat gun or shoot a few rounds through it to warm it up and then back it off.

Edit to add...if you can get a wrench on the muzzle brake and use the proper spanner on the ASR mount, or still use the strap wrench, you'll probably have more success than just trying to spin the mount without holding the muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Take this sico wrench with you.  He already unlocked the collar, but when he went to unscrew it, the ASR mount stayed stuck to his brake.  It happens sometimes.  Usually if you don't tighten the ASR mount to the can well enough.

That's what the wrench below is for.  You use that get it good and tight to the can body.  Some folks use two wrenches going opposite directions, but I just hold the cylinder with one hand and use the wrench in my other.  I can get plenty if leverage that way.

To get the asr mount off the gun, a strap wrench if your hand slips.  Heat?  Cursing for sure, lots of cursing!

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
@Wangstang

@esdunbar

Thanks for the excellent info....

I still have these tools....

Help me remember, with the ASR mount, it screws onto the muzzle device and them when tight, you lock the collar, correct?

If this is the case, and I dont have a strap wrench, need to get one, I am going to have my team hold the suppressor it self and have some one hold the upper and I am going to use the wrench to tighten it to the suppressor  (will take the upper off of the lower so it can turn easy)

I am going to clean the ASR adapter with contact cleaner to get all of the grease off, carefully thread them together.

When the supprressor is tightened to the ASR will spray Kriol between the adaptor and muzzle device

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You can try to just get the adapter off without threading the can on.  If you try to tighten the can body on, infear you'll only tighten the adapter to the brake.  And yeah, some penetrating oil should help.

Note for your cousin, don't tighten the mount down when he puts it on.  When I first got a sico asr, I cranked that bitch down tight, then locked the collar.  Add a little carbon fowling and I got the same result he did.

Now I just finger tight, barely and lock the collar.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Wangstang

@esdunbar

Thanks for the excellent info....

I still have these tools....

Help me remember, with the ASR mount, it screws onto the muzzle device and them when tight, you lock the collar, correct?

If this is the case, and I dont have a strap wrench, need to get one, I am going to have my team hold the suppressor it self and have some one hold the upper and I am going to use the wrench to tighten it to the suppressor  (will take the upper off of the lower so it can turn easy)

I am going to clean the ASR adapter with contact cleaner to get all of the grease off, carefully thread them together.

When the supprressor is tightened to the ASR will spray Kriol between the adaptor and muzzle device

View Quote

You can damage things if you don't support the muzzle brake....if the muzzle brake is on there excessively tight or with rockset, you'll start putting all of the strain of your twisting on the barrel, which transfers to the barrel extension/barrel extension alignment pin and so on. I like the screwdriver through the muzzle brake idea by the way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can damage things if you don't support the muzzle brake....if the muzzle brake is on there excessively tight or with rockset, you'll start putting all of the strain of your twisting on the barrel, which transfers to the barrel extension/barrel extension alignment pin and so on. I like the screwdriver through the muzzle brake idea by the way.
View Quote

Yes that is a good idea....

I forgot that the SilCo mount is screwed on to the brake and then the locking collar...

I had issues with this mount when I first got it, then went the DedAir way and changed the SilCo to the DA keymo.

The best mounting system IMO is the Knights Armament, they are the best, period

Thanks for all of the help

i will post how we do tomorrow at the range

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]
With thread in mounts the practice of tightening onto the muzzle device by the body of the can tightens everything up.  For removal, unlock the ASR ring and loosen off the muzzle device by continuing to hold the ring/mount.  This way you don’t unscrew the mount from the suppressor tube. The ASR ring makes it easy. Other thinner mounts (Plan A, Plan B) this removal strategy requires a spanner or wrench or just the luck of the torque.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top