Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2022 9:43:31 PM EDT
My best friend bought a Springfield M1A rifle yesterday, synthetic stock and match barrel....I know zero about these.  Can you tell me a little bit about what he bought?  He goes through rifles like a baby through diapers so I am sure I will have the opportunity to buy this rifle in less than a year.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically a civilian version of the M14 rifle.  It will be able to shoot most commercial .308 ammo, though one should keep the bullet weight under 180 gr, and not use really slow burning powders. If it really has a "Match" barrel, there may be an "NM" stamped on the barrel.  Usually up front on top. If it really has a "Match" barrel I would ditch the plastic/fiberglass stock and go with a wood stock. Used USGI stocks are all over, and can be found on eBay and Gunbroker.  Some have some very nice look wood. One must look through the grime on the USGI stocks to see the grain. The plastic/fiberglass stock flexes a bit much in the fore end for accurate shooting.  Boyds stock are nice, and lack the selector switch cutout.  They may require some fitting work.  Some are really beefy, having too much wood on them. Some are slim cut like USGI.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It's probably a "Loaded" version of the M1A.  Currently that is the top level of M1A offered by Springfield at this time.  Springfield no longer makes any of their Match grade rifles.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's probably a "Loaded" version of the M1A.  Currently that is the top level of M1A offered by Springfield at this time.  Springfield no longer makes any of their Match grade rifles.
View Quote

If I remember correctly the “Loaded” model doesn’t have a match barrel, it has a standard barrel but has the narrower “NM” marked sights.  Maybe the guy is confused by national match marked sights?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
It is not a Loaded according to him and he says it has a match barrel.   I will get with him this week and get an update.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it new or used?

Is the receiver bedded into the stock?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Both of my Loaded rifles have NM barrels
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Both of my Loaded rifles have NM barrels
View Quote

Correction:  Loaded vs Standard.

I just talked to him and he sent me pictures, he has a Loaded rifle with 'NM" on the bottom of the barrel.  The rifle is brand new

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I would buy it if he does sale, They are alot of fun
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly the “Loaded” model doesn’t have a match barrel, it has a standard barrel but has the narrower “NM” marked sights.  Maybe the guy is confused by national match marked sights?
View Quote
My loaded model has a Douglas air gauged stainless heavy match barrel from the factory.  It also has match 2 stage trigger and match sights without hood.  It came with the synthetic stock.  This is a model with the shaved bayo lug.

I had Springfield replace the extractor and spring, and there was drill flash left in the peep sight aperture, so they sent me a hooded match peep, all I had to do was pay a few bucks shipping.

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My loaded model has a Douglas air gauged stainless heavy match barrel from the factory.  It also has match 2 stage trigger and match sights without hood.  It came with the synthetic stock.  This is a model with the shaved bayo lug.

I had Springfield replace the extractor and spring, and there was drill flash left in the peep sight aperture, so they sent me a hooded match peep, all I had to do was pay a few bucks shipping.  

https://i.imgur.com/Iq5R958.jpg
View Quote

The original loaded series were slightly upgraded standard models.   The addition of stainless, match barrels and precision stocks must have come with their discontinuing match rifles.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
OP:
Instead of this guessing game, maybe it's this....... maybe it's that......

Get the serial.
Good pictures of left /right.
Picture of the bolt from the top as it sits closed.
If he will break it down:  pics of the trigger group marking on the side and OP Rod.

THEN we can tell you what you have.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the Stock a real USGI Fiberglass stock, or the crappy plastic "synthetic" stock that Springfield has been using since actual USGI Fiberglass stocks ran out?

If so, keep it in the USGI Fiberglass stock as you will have better accuracy (wood swells & warps in wet & heat & dry & snow & ... ... ... )

Single lug or does the barrel have a second lug at the back of the receiver?

Is the action fiberglass bedded into the stock?

If the barrel HEAVY?  (of large diameter without taper from chamber all the way to gas system?

Has the Gas System been "Unitized" (gas cylinder & front ferrule are normally separate pieces but match rifles drill & tap for screws & glues to hold them as a single unit for consistency & accuracy)

N.M. Operating Rod Guide?   Is it flat or cruciform or round?

N.M. Hooded rear sight?

Does it have a NM Flash Hider (bored wider to prevent bullet contact)?

Does it have the bayonet lug on the Flash Hider? (in case you need to do a drive by bayonetting? )

Some things you should know before you go...

Are you wanting a actual match shooting 7.62x51 rifle?

A Bang Around gun?

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is the Stock a real USGI Fiberglass stock, or the crappy plastic "synthetic" stock that Springfield has been using since actual USGI Fiberglass stocks ran out?

If so, keep it in the USGI Fiberglass stock as you will have better accuracy (wood swells & warps in wet & heat & dry & snow & ... ... ... )

Single lug or does the barrel have a second lug at the back of the receiver?

Is the action fiberglass bedded into the stock?

If the barrel HEAVY?  (of large diameter without taper from chamber all the way to gas system?

Has the Gas System been "Unitized" (gas cylinder & front ferrule are normally separate pieces but match rifles drill & tap for screws & glues to hold them as a single unit for consistency & accuracy)

N.M. Operating Rod Guide?   Is it flat or cruciform or round?

N.M. Hooded rear sight?

Does it have a NM Flash Hider (bored wider to prevent bullet contact)?

Does it have the bayonet lug on the Flash Hider? (in case you need to do a drive by bayonetting? )

Some things you should know before you go...

Are you wanting a actual match shooting 7.62x51 rifle?

A Bang Around gun?

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Looks like another rabbit hole you can go down....
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Her are some pictures he sent me.  He bought a scope mount and installed a Vortex optic.

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]
That’s the cheapo plastic stock they’re using now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. It's fine for range use, but think twice if you need to buttstroke some fool.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like the wooden stock M1 rifles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#18]
We went shooting last weekend and the rifle was shooting 7 to 8 MOA with all different ammo.  Took the rifle down and found all kinds of polymer rubbing and areas of movement.  That stock is a POS.  Told him he needs to get a different stock.  

Reminds me of the POS stock that came with my Remington SPS rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We went shooting last weekend and the rifle was shooting 7 to 8 MOA with all different ammo.  Took the rifle down and found all kinds of polymer rubbing and areas of movement.  That stock is a POS.  Told him he needs to get a different stock.  

Reminds me of the POS stock that came with my Remington SPS rifle.
View Quote

I remember when you couldn't GIVE away the USGI fiberglass stocks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cost the government a ridiculous amount of money to develop them then they spent more buying them. General Tire and Rubber teamed with Springfield Armory to develop the stock and then General Tire got a contract to produce 500,000 of them for $2,187,000 in 1968 this was the largest dollar amount spent on any single component for the M14 Rifle till the mid 2,000’s…
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:15:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. It's fine for range use, but think twice if you need to buttstroke some fool.
View Quote

It's not "fine for range use".  If you twist it at the forearm, you can see the cheap plastic stock Twist...

The Wood Stock & the USGI Fiberglass stock do NOT twist .

The M-1A needs a FIRM Stock for best accuracy, as the gas system has the forward 'hook' that contacts - holds to the front ferule.  

If the stock bends like a limp noodle, the contact is not consistent and accuracy suffers.

Hunt up a USGI Fiberglass stock - You'll Thank Me!

Also an accuracy tip - take some emery paper and gently sand the front of the stock ferule.  They are often rough from the parkerizing.  Then place some rifle grease on the "hook" and the cleaned area of the stock ferrule.  That smoothness + lubrication ensure the gas system "hook" returns to the same point with every shot, so the pull on the barrel is the same from shot to shot and that enhances accuracy.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cost the government a ridiculous amount of money to develop them then they spent more buying them. General Tire and Rubber teamed with Springfield Armory to develop the stock and then General Tire got a contract to produce 500,000 of them for $2,187,000 in 1968 this was the largest dollar amount spent on any single component for the M14 Rifle till the mid 2,000’s…
View Quote

They were "Functional" but not "Pretty" like a beautiful Walnut stock was.

The Fiberglass stocks were developed because the wood stocks had issues with warping in the heat & wet of Vietnam when they first went over in 1965 with the Army & Marines.   Ironically - the Chinese also noticed this problem and made some of their Vietnam export SKS's in a "Tropical" phenolic Resin (Bake Light) for the same problems & solution.

Some guy named "Fred" bought all the Surplus USGI Stocks from the .GOV a decade or two ago.  He had ads in "Shotgun News" with the various stocks and grades.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's not "fine for range use".
View Quote

If your attempt at a lecture is directed at me, think twice. My M1A sits in a USGI stock and my Fulton receiver/Criterion barrel M14 sits in either the SAI polymer stock or a USGI wood stock. I stand by what I type, at least as far as I can relate my experience with the one SAI stock I have. The Fulton gets 1.25-1.5 MOA in either stock, though I'm not slinging up with that rifle. For regular range use, the SAI stock is fine. If one might need to depend a bit more on their M1A/M14, go USGI.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Some guy named "Fred" bought all the Surplus USGI Stocks from the .GOV a decade or two ago.  He had ads in "Shotgun News" with the various stocks and grades.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote
"Fred" was the dog..."Jack" was the guy.  This was in '95 IIRC and he got them by accident.  He thought he was bidding on a single triwall (50cuft IIRC) of stocks.  The lot was 3 or 4 semi trailer loads full.  I dug thru quite a few untouched boxes.  Some were all trash some were mint walnuts.  Some were full of nothing but parts or mags ....

He sold off the leftovers a few years back to treeline.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"Fred" was the dog..."Jack" was the guy.  This was in '95 IIRC and he got them by accident.  He thought he was bidding on a single triwall (50cuft IIRC) of stocks.  The lot was 3 or 4 semi trailer loads full.  I dug thru quite a few untouched boxes.  Some were all trash some were mint walnuts.  Some were full of nothing but parts or mags ....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

He still sells some stuff himself.  I just bought some stuff from him a couple of weeks ago and am thinking of getting a couple of the USGI synthetic stocks from him.  I spent a lot of time on the phone with him and he sent me a beautiful (Almost unissued) E2 stock and sling.  He sent some free stuff too.  Jack ("Fred") is also the father of The Appleseed Project.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The original loaded series were slightly upgraded standard models.   The addition of stainless, match barrels and precision stocks must have come with their discontinuing match rifles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Iq5R958.jpg

To my knowledge Loaded models have always had heavier contour barrels then standards. My 2012 produced rifle is as described above with a SS medium contour NM barrel the exception of mine included walnut rather then fiberglass.

ETA: at the time the upgrade to NM gave the hooded rear and a beaded stock going to super match gave it a heavy barrel vs the medium and I believe a double lugged receiver
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top