Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2018 6:56:21 AM EDT
Can someone  steer me to a few books or articles that layout proper  means  and ways of precision  reloading.I need to get a grasp of start to finish. Thanks bill
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Accurate Shooter. com
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Accurate Shooter. com
View Quote
That’s a great source.

http://www.usrifleteams.com/lrforum/index.php?/forum/62-precision-reloading/
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Precision Shooting Reloading guide by Dave Brennan.
I have an extra copy, If you want it email me your address I'll send it out, send me a check to cover postage.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I wanted to get some basics out of the way  before I started asking questions on procedures, thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks email  coming your way
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wanted to get some basics out of the way  before I started asking questions on procedures, thanks
View Quote
How unusual.  .  We don’t get that method much here.

Good resources mentioned already.

Glen Zediker has a book “Handloading for Competition “ that I like.  A lot of folks don’t like his conversational laid back writing style.  I do,....mostly.  It beats the other old precision reloading tome I have that is a giant book of statistics tables.  I like the dumbed down version better.

I just google searched for the right title of the book I have and see he has another book out now, “Top-Grade Ammo”. I haven’t read that one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Precision Shooting Magazine was always a boon too.  I used to grab my gunsmith friend’s copies to read when I was bored. Some interesting stuff mixed in there but a lot of gloss over it articles.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I reload pistol,ars,neighbors pistol ,but looking to get deeper into the technique of processing brass,etc.I have gauges,all the good stuff but not mandrels neck turning items.not to many people in my area do precision. I try to load everything  I own and shoot to the best of my ability and now it's time to go farther.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#11]
https://www.sinclairintl.com/guntech/tying-it-all-together-10-steps-to-precision-handloads/detail.htm?lid=16439

It's a decent start point
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Also look up the US Army Marksmanship Unit on FaceBook, they have weekly articles/videos about reloading.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Glen Z. has two books on reloading!
Sinclair used to have spiral bound book, too.
That Dave B. book has been out of publication for 12 or more years.
Sinclair has good videos.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Precision Shooting Reloading guide by Dave Brennan.
I have an extra copy, If you want it email me your address I'll send it out, send me a check to cover postage.
View Quote
There is a lot of good information in this book.  You will learn what it's all about from this relatively short narrative.

I would offer a word of caution - they are selling tools in that book, lots of "indispensable" tools for the precision reloader.  First, they sell you on the need to perform the operation, then, they sell you the tools to do the procedures.

The book has a heavy emphasis on reloading for benchrest competition.  Many or most of the procedures (and the tools) have little to no benefit to the average shooter using average rifles shooting without the aid of bench rests and bags.

There are other books that are a bit more practical in terms of advice for we "mere mortals".  Zediker's book is both informative and very entertaining and you can't beat that.

There's also a wealth of information available on line, including here at ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Dryflash my last group was a workup at 100 yds for 1 of my ars 0.59 moa.new powder and new bullet.my goals are I have a new  rpr in 6.5 creedmoor  and  a new larue grendel both waiting on glass,would like to stretch out to 1000yds.the range I look after only goes to 500 yds but I'm adding 1 inch gongs.etc I'm getting the bug for better accuracy, and truly love the reloading end of it.I forsee a benchrest rifle eventually but want to make sure before that I'm capable of it thanks for all your suggestions. Bill
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
How "precision" is the gun?

Unless it starts out 'right' it is very hard to make it 'better' with ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#19]
After the brass is cleaned, important steps to precision reloading -

1.  Preparing the brass
a) Uniform the primer pocket (also cleans the pocket)
b) Sizing the case
c) Trimming the case (includes neck chamfer and debur)

2.  Seating the primer (fully seated below flush)

3.  Charging with powder (includes weighing the charge)

4.  Seating the bullet (use a sliding sleeve bullet seater like a Redding or Forster)

What tends to not be needed -

Neck turning (expensive)
Flash hole deburring (inexpensive)
Crimping
Concentricity measurement (expensive)

You can do the whole nine yards if you want but I have found some steps made no difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top