Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2023 6:45:18 PM EDT
Our time as an SOT may be ending and I started to look into the value of some of the platforms. While many are straight forward, I have an example of a MK46 that is a bit of a one-off.

A few years back, there was a company that was messing around with making a closed bolt system a la the M27. We ended up with one of them, and have run it a bit with less issues than our full spec FN 249.

It has about 70% parts commonality with a factory Mk46 with the main difference is it runs on an HK trigger pack and uses a spring on the op rod instead of a buffer. This means that the actual registered machine gun is the pack itself (pack has the serial on it) and not the receiver or any other part of the system. Otherwise, features like the quick change barrel system and all of the mechanical parts as far as function are the same and work the same.

That is where my question comes into play. Basically, if you had a registered/transferable/legal HK trigger pack, you could put it into the trigger mechanism 'lower' and you would have a fully functional belt fed as this is not like a 240 where the receiver plate is the actual machine gun/serialized part.

Has anyone ever seen or would take a stab as to what this would be worth if sold sans serialized trigger pack?

Not looking to make this a WTS ad, but we are a bit stumped as it is a unique item.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
MGA makes these iirc. It can’t be used as a MG unless a SOT. ATF ruled that using a transferable sear or trigger pack made these into post sample MGs.

I’d say it’s worth less than a FN M249S. $8-9k would probably sit for awhile. $7k and it would sell fast.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Will it work with a semi only trigger pack  and be a Title1 firearm, or is it always an MG with or without the trigger pack ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will it work with a semi only trigger pack  and be a Title1 firearm, or is it always an MG with or without the trigger pack ?
View Quote

He said the trigger pack is the MG, not the firearm itself. So remove the trigger pack now it is either a SBR (needs paperwork), Pistol (no stock unless your a member of FPC/GOA), or a rifle due to having a rifle length barrel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting a Mk46 that's going to take an HK trigger pack. I'm putting a binary in it.

I was quoted 12 grand, and that included ceracoating and maybe some other stuff.

A new 249s with a 15 pound semi-auto trigger didn't interest me at 10 grand.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm getting a Mk46 that's going to take an HK trigger pack. I'm putting a binary in it.

I was quoted 12 grand, and that included ceracoating and maybe some other stuff.

A new 249s with a 15 pound semi-auto trigger didn't interest me at 10 grand.
View Quote

Technically you could do this with this set up assuming a HK binary.

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He said the trigger pack is the MG, not the firearm itself. So remove the trigger pack now it is either a SBR (needs paperwork), Pistol (no stock unless your a member of FPC/GOA), or a rifle due to having a rifle length barrel.
View Quote

Correct.

The actual pack that goes into the 'lower' is the serialized 'machine gun'.

And yes, it would accept a semi auto HK trigger pack.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
They aren't as uncommon as you'd think.  
Who is the manufacturer of yours?  Should say on the right side of the receiver.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top