Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2018 12:46:13 AM EDT
I'm still new to and learning about the Mini 14 so could use any input on the one listed below that I am considering purchasing. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the following too.

It is a 182 series Mini 14 Folder in Stainless Steel, GB model. I am still researching the various series and versions, but as I understand it this is the sought after folder version popularized in 1980's media such as the A-Team and Death Wish 4 with Charles Bronson. I've always really liked the way these particular ones look hence why I am considering it - I've never shot one and only held a fixed stock one once.

I've heard accuracy is questionable on the early ones. Is this true? Anything else I need to be aware of? Does this one appear 100% original? How's parts availability? I would shoot it although probably only 100rds per year after the initial awe factor wears off.

It is just the gun and several mags - no box/paperwork/etc. Seller wants $1,600. Is this low, average, or high?

Thank you for any and all input!
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Had a couple of these years back. Looks right to me. They are not very accurate though...at least mine weren't. Seems a bit high in price but I haven't priced them lately, so maybe it's an ok price.
I wish I had kept at least one of them though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one just like it. Bought it new at Bi-mart for 289$. Sold it for 700 10 years later. Wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The stocks alone in excellent condition like the one pictured are going for $6-$700 lately, no replacements are available so the price is climbing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The sling loop is correct for a side folder.  A fixed stock that's had the folding stock added later would have the sling loop on the bottom.  Price I have no idea though, other than originals seem to be skyrocketing in value.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
if it was mint condition with box, maybe...  although most don't have a bayonet lug so unsure how that impacts value, did the ATeam have lugs?

there was a blued one in equal condition or better at last show, he was asking $1000 or $1100, nobody was interested and that was private sale.

You are really not owning it for accuracy's sake so does that really matter.

I have owned multiple Minis but never a factory folder...  I should have bought a machine gun when they were going for $7000.  Although you can still get a nice folder for $11k and maybe even under $10k.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. From looking at pictures of other GBF's this one looks correct. Somone on another board mentioned that the flash hider looks aftermarket, but I've seen others with this same flash hider so...

I see both brushed and polished stainless GBF's. This one is polished. Did Ruger produce both versions of stainless?

Value is what I'm mainly trying to determine now
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger no longer supports the older minis.  Parts are starting to become an issue.  I had to go to eBay for a blued extractor and the ejector, as Ruger no longer had these parts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger no longer supports the older minis.  Parts are starting to become an issue.  I had to go to eBay for a blued extractor and the ejector, as Ruger no longer had these parts.
View Quote
How old is old to the point where parts are unavailable/not interchangeable with newer mini 14s? This one is a 182 series, so produced in 1981.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Anything made prior to 2005 is not supported, however parts may or may not be available.  When I talked to Ruger they seemed to have more stuff available in stainless, than blued.

I wouldn't let this be a turn off, they are pretty solid rifles.  You can still find the parts, it just might take some time.  As for cross compatibility, Ruger says no, but I am not sure if the person answering the phone would actually know, since they are just looking at part numbers on a screen.

Jason
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anything made prior to 2005 is not supported, however parts may or may not be available.  When I talked to Ruger they seemed to have more stuff available in stainless, than blued.

I wouldn't let this be a turn off, they are pretty solid rifles.  You can still find the parts, it just might take some time.  As for cross compatibility, Ruger says no, but I am not sure if the person answering the phone would actually know, since they are just looking at part numbers on a screen.

Jason
View Quote
Thanks Jason. Doesn't sound serious especially since I only shoot rifles occasionally, but something to keep in mind. Glock seems to be the gold standard in terms of support, but even there legacy parts can be an issue. I had a 15 degree cut extractor with a chip on the claw that I didn't want to replace with a loaded chamber indicator version on my gen 2 G19 (circia 1997.) I had to watch ebay for months to find a factory original.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice rifle OP!    I have a standard non GB stainless ranch 187 series factory folder.  I always wanted the GB model but this one was NIB when I found it.  I paid 1000.00 for it two yrs ago.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

I built an AC556 clone out of a non GB  mini 14 folder, i sold it due to the commie NY SAFE Act, when I escape to free America in a few years i'll build another one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the feedback guys. I called Ruger to check pedigree of the gun as to configuration when it left the factory. This one did NOT leave the factory in a folding stock, although everything else is correct. Any idea as to how much this impacts it's value given it is not a factory-shipped folding Mini 14?
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
The stock itself will bring from $600 to $750, and the rifle $500 to $600.  I don't think too many people are looking for collector grade minis.

I would not go over $1200 personally, unless it had a bit much of mags.  I just bought a plain Jane blued 181 for $430, and I could have grabbed the stock off of eBay for $600 a week or 2 back.

Jason
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The stocks alone in excellent condition like the one pictured are going for $6-$700 lately, no replacements are available so the price is climbing.
View Quote
Woah! I have a factory folder I bought for $50 that had the finish peeling off about 6 years ago. For the price the factory stocks are going now I may be tempted to sell if I didn't grow up watching the A-Team.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Woah! I have a factory folder I bought for $50 that had the finish peeling off about 6 years ago. For the price the factory stocks are going now I may be tempted to sell if I didn't grow up watching the A-Team.
View Quote
$50 ? You stole it.
Ruger factory folding stocks were selling for around $500 over a decade ago.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The rifle did not leave the factory as a folder OP?   Looks like someone installed the correct gas block with the sling loop on the side.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The rifle did not leave the factory as a folder OP?   Looks like someone installed the correct gas block with the sling loop on the side.
View Quote
Yep, Ruger told me that it was a GB model in a birch stock. Their records did not indicate that it was a folding stock. Perhaps their records in that era didn't indicate folding vs. fixed? They told me that the model number was 01812 FWIW.

If it was original fixed and made into a folder by whomever they did an excellent job given that side swivel as you mentioned.

I'm still hopefully going to meet with the seller and try to make a deal, but last we spoke he was firm at $1,600.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
You can get a letter from Ruger based on the serial number. It is like 10 bucks or so. I got the letter to confirm my stainless ranch folder was legit. My letter did state the model, year produced and that it did leave the factory as a folder.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can get a letter from Ruger based on the serial number. It is like 10 bucks or so. I got the letter to confirm my stainless ranch folder was legit. My letter did state the model, year produced and that it did leave the factory as a folder.
View Quote
Interesting. That would confirm that Ruger's records did in fact indicate whether a model left the factory as a folder. What year was your Mini 14 produced and/or shipped?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#22]
If you called Ruger on the phone they will not tell you every detail about the rifle. They want the 10 bucks for the official letter.

My Mini shipped in November 1987.  That is a nice looking GB you are considering, but I would want to know for sure before paying that price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you called Ruger on the phone they will not tell you every detail about the rifle. They want the 10 bucks for the official letter.

My Mini shipped in November 1987.  That is a nice looking GB you are considering, but I would want to know for sure before paying that price.
View Quote
Good point. They did disclose quite a bit on the phone however, and when I specifically inquired  as to whether it left as a folder I was told that the records did not indicate that it was a folder. I was told model, finish, barrel length, stock, caliber and ship date.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#24]
If you got that much info from them on the phone thats great!   The gas block on that rife has me curious....most don't go through the trouble of changing it out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you got that much info from them on the phone thats great!   The gas block on that rife has me curious....most don't go through the trouble of changing it out.
View Quote
Hence my surprise when I was told that it was not a factory folder given it looks identical to one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#26]
The seller and I have kept in touch and it seems we are now down in the $1,100-$1,200 neighborhood. He stated to have called Ruger and confirmed what I was told, in that it was not sent as a factory folder. Otherwise the gun appears to be in the same condition as shipped from Ruger. It seems he's tried to sell it elsewhere without any lucky so the price keeps dropping. The most I'm willing to spend at this point on this particular mini 14 I'm thinking will be $1,000, higher than that and I'll walk away.

Any other thoughts?

Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if it's been polished, since someone took the time to swap the gas block.
I don't know if Ruger ever shipped them that shiny. I don't know the details of their production history, but compared to other vintage SS Minis I've seen, it looks bright.

If you want a collectible Mini which will appreciate like other collectible (original) Minis, this isn't it. For a retro stainless shooter, it might be worth $1,000. Only you can decide.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve owned two. One in blue and one in stainless steel. Both were reliable as long as you used Ruger factory magazines. When I owned mine back in the late eighties, it came with a five round magazine. The twenty and thirty round factory mags were restricted to LE only by Ruger, not by law. They could be found at the gun shows occasionally, but were expensive.

They are on my list of guns I wish I had never gotten rid of.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#29]
There are 2 stainless factory folding stocks on eBay right now, one is at $700, and the other $720.  Bother will sell.  So at $1100, you would be ok, $1200 on the high side.

Stock prices have gone up at least $200 in the last year, and will continue to climb.  At this point, if you want the rifle $1100 really isn't that bad.  This puts the rifle cost in the $350 to $400 range if you sold the stock and replaced it with a standard stock.  That's under current market value right now.

Jason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top