Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2020 5:36:34 PM EDT
I don't like any of the available scout rifles out there.There's only about 4, and to me they are all are lacking in some way that is enough for me to avoid.

I'd like to build one around a stainless Remington model7 with the following criteria;.

1) stainless rifle in 308, 6.5CM, or 7-08 
2) 16" to 18.5" rifle barrel (I'd simply cut down a 20" barrel)
3) Light rifle of about7lbs with firm wood or composite stock.
4) Feeds reliable 5 & 10 shot magazine. 
5) at least 1.5" MOA ( but I'd like sub 1" with handloads)

Can I use the inexpensive Magpul and PT&G bottom metals with any of the Remington factory stocks  available?  I'm no stranger to modifications and working with auto-body bondo and dremels, but I don't know what kind of factory stock the Model 7 is available with that I might be able to use. ie; Can a Bell & Carlson or H&S Stock be modified? If so I would seek the rifle on Gunbroker with that stock. Or do I need to buy a ply Richards or Boyds stock to do the DM modification??. (ie; I sure as hell know that factory plastic Rem stocks are trash)
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a Model 7, but I like that action for being light and compact and was considering one myself. Pacific Tool and Gauge makes bottom metal for it, I have the same for a 700 short action 308 and it works fine (I put my PTG bottom metal into a synthetic stock factory made for the DBM inlet, so I didn't have to do any work fitting the DBM). As far as a stock goes, I'm sure that the more expensive stocks would be more solid and a better candidate for some minor inletting, but if you want to take a chance, I'm sure you could make the base model factory plastic stock work. Below is a link showing how a budget base model plastic stock is improved with bedding. If you tried that out and it didn't work out, then you could always get a Boyd's laminated stock.

But I think it can't hurt to try it on the base plastic stock. It is light and durable. Everyone hates the cheap plastic stocks, but they are pretty functional and light. Not the best for benchrest accuracy, but decent for a typical hunting rifle. And it would keep the cost down.

If you try it out, let everyone know how it goes!

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/remington-model-7-detachable-mag-bottom-metal/3370-model-7-stealth-dbm-for-aics-mags.html

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/gunsmithing/block-bedding-synthetic-model-700
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t have any personal experience with it, but badger ordnance makes detachable bottom metal for the model seven. Takes AICS mags
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple model 7s.  Great rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top