Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2021 10:29:08 PM EDT
So I just acquired an older 90's vintage ITT F5001B PVS 7, and I can't seem to get the IR illuminator to work? From my understanding, you turn the power knob a click to the right to turn it on, and it does turn on, from there you can turn it a very little bit to the right and it should momentarily turn the IR on, but it doesn't light up.....how much to the right do you nave to turn it, it does not want to turn much, do I have to crank it?

How do you turn the IR on permanently? The manual says to pull the knob out, but when you do this, do you pull out directly when the knob is in the on position, or do you have to twist it further to the right from the on position then pull out? The knob pulls out a bit, but it doesn't stay out, it just springs back to the original position, just like the temporary position, is the knob supposed to stay in the pulled out position, because it doesn't?

What am I doing wrong, maybe I need to get more aggressive with the knob, I don't want to break it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I just acquired an older 90's vintage ITT F5001B PVS 7, and I can't seem to get the IR illuminator to work? From my understanding, you turn the power knob a click to the right to turn it on, and it does turn on, from there you can turn it a very little bit to the right and it should momentarily turn the IR on, but it doesn't light up.....how much to the right do you nave to turn it, it does not want to turn much, do I have to crank it?

How do you turn the IR on permanently? The manual says to pull the knob out, but when you do this, do you pull out directly when the knob is in the on position, or do you have to twist it further to the right from the on position then pull out? The knob pulls out a bit, but it doesn't stay out, it just springs back to the original position, just like the temporary position, is the knob supposed to stay in the pulled out position, because it doesn't?

What am I doing wrong, maybe I need to get more aggressive with the knob, I don't want to break it?
View Quote

Its got a safety basically, so you dont accidently turn on the ir, and give away your location at the wrong time to enemy with night vision. The ir illuminator looks like a flash light to other night vision.

Turn on night vision, then pull out knob , hold it out, while turning, and turn it one more click for ir mode. Then release knob. At least thats how pvs5s worked for me on active duty.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
To turn on the PVS7 turn the knob clockwise to on, to use the momentary IR function continually turn the knob clockwise which will spring back to IR off. To turn the IR light to constant on pull the knob out, then twist clockwise, to turn it off turn counter clockwise. A red led should turn on when the IR light is on. Also when testing the IR function be in a room dark enough so you'll be able to see it very well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:36:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, all works as it should. The spring tension on the knob is very strong on this unit, and i didn't want to force it initially.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top