Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2018 9:01:27 PM EDT
My dad owns a No. 4 Mk1 Enfield that appears to have a broken extractor spring.

He wanted to take it to a gunsmith to fix it but I’d like to repair it myself if I’m able to.

Has anyone here dealt with this issue before?

I’d need help stripping the bolt down and replacing the broken (or missing) spring.

Currently you can move the extractor back and forth and it will rest where you leave it. I assume there should be a spring there to hold the extractor in place?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Ishapore 2A1, a 7.62x51version of a SMLE Mk III* with better steel (or so I'm told)  and dealt with the same broken leaf spring.  It's a muthafrackin' pain in the ass and I fought with that bastid for the better part of two hours.  I can't say how I got it in there, but I did and I share the pain and frustration you are about to experience.

You'll need a spring that looks like this "SMLE extractor spring" and is available from Midway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It has been a few years since I have changed one but the springs do break.  If I recall it is easier to assemble than to take apart.  The extractor and the spring go in the bolt head together at the same time if I am remembering correctly.

Numrich usually has the springs in stock.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has been a few years since I have changed one but the springs do break.  If I recall it is easier to assemble than to take apart.  The extractor and the spring go in the bolt head together at the same time if I am remembering correctly.

Numrich usually has the springs in stock.
View Quote
IIRC the last one I did I ran some stiff twine thru the bolt and pulled the spring in place,

found that for instructions somewhere on the web and it worked like a charm
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top