Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2021 5:14:00 PM EDT
Found it in a pile of old beaters from when my pops had his gun shop. I pulled it out of the sporter stock and took the old 4x weaver scope and base off.

What all do I need to make it right? Just the rear sight and stock assembly? Best place to source that kind of stuff?

I don't know much about these rifles other than what I can find in a quick google search.

Don't have much intention to shoot it. I mainly want to make it look right to hang on the wall next to the 1903 my great uncle gave me last year, so I'm not looking to spend more than a few hundred at most.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
From the holes..Redfield one piece base ? If so make it into an A4 sniper clone. Bolt bend looks well done.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the holes..Redfield one piece base ? If so make it into an A4 sniper clone. Bolt bend looks well done.
View Quote

IIRC the Redfield has 2 in the front, one in the rear

and yes,  bolt bend/grind looks good,

get a stock, bands, and put the weaver back on it
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd have to lie on the scope base brand, and I won't be back home for more pcs until next week.

Glad to hear the A4 clone recommendation. The base hole over the "M" bugs the shit out of me, and I kind of wanted to do that from the start.

So where is the bast place to get a stock and bands?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like this should have me covered?

stock

hardware kit
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I was looking at the hi-lux repro stuff and the base looks exactly like the Malcolm m82 mounting kit with the same wide lipped rings and flat head screws

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IIRC the Redfield has 2 in the front, one in the rear

and yes,  bolt bend/grind looks good,

get a stock, bands, and put the weaver back on it
View Quote

Just one in front.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Tapped already?  indeed I would go the sniper clone route!

Fun project!
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Grabbed the stock and hardware from Sarco. The weaver it had on it was trash, so I ordered the Hi-Lux M82 repro right away as well.

$700 all together, I can live with that.

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Grabbed the stock and hardware from Sarco. The weaver it had on it was trash, so I ordered the Hi-Lux M82 repro right away as well.

$700 all together, I can live with that.

View Quote

The newer hi-lux repro scopes are pretty nice scopes.  Hunted a season with their M73G4.  Normally use Leupolds. Didn't feel handicapped at all with it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The newer hi-lux repro scopes are pretty nice scopes.  Hunted a season with their M73G4.  Normally use Leupolds. Didn't feel handicapped at all with it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59096/IMG_20171105_084110789_jpg-1939404.JPG
View Quote

glad to hear that. Couldn't decide between the 73 and 82. I like the post reticle better, so I went with the 82.

Shoutout to Hi-Lux too. Received tracking number for my order 19 minutes after order confirmation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Any tips on a sling for this thing? Looking on fleabay and the like for m1907 slings, and I'm seeing all kinds of options.

Whats the best way to get all the gunk and shit cleaned off? Disassemble and soak in simple green? I've got JB bore paste and kroil for the bore
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any tips on a sling for this thing? Looking on fleabay and the like for m1907 slings, and I'm seeing all kinds of options.

Whats the best way to get all the gunk and shit cleaned off? Disassemble and soak in simple green? I've got JB bore paste and kroil for the bore
View Quote

Most good 1907 slings are out of stock. Brownell comp plus sling is OK.

Scrub it with some Hoppes and a nylon brush to get most crud off. Dried oil and varnish remove with denatured alcohol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
what constitutes a good one??

@tangeant
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
what constitutes a good one??

@tangeant
View Quote

One that is made to mil spec. Good quality leather and metal hooks. Leather slings are pretty expensive exp to pay $80 ish and most are out of stock right now.

Turner saddlery NM,
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks, ordered a turner
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Can't wait to see the end result. Good on you for bringing it back to life, hopefully it is a shooter.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Everything but the sling should be delivered this week. Going to load up a few different loads to try Saturday if it isn't raining.

The 2 groove barrel looks to be in pretty good shape after getting all the dust cleaned out. I'm betting it hasn't been shot over 30 years.

@Hunterex did you shim the front of the scope base on yours? I had to order some base screws, but just setting it on the receiver there is a gap in the front when the rear is flush.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The stock required some fitting, but nothing major. Got it all fitted with the proper free float up to the last inch or so of upward pressure.

The bolt bend made it necessary to remove more wood than what I saw on other A4 pictures, then I wound up blending the edges a little more than necessary. Oh well, it's good enough for the girls I go out with.

Didn't realize until I started putting it together that the rear bushing and the reinforcement bolts weren't included in the Sarco hardware set.

Will get some more pics next week after I get the last of the stock parts in and installed.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Everything but the sling should be delivered this week. Going to load up a few different loads to try Saturday if it isn't raining.

The 2 groove barrel looks to be in pretty good shape after getting all the dust cleaned out. I'm betting it hasn't been shot over 30 years.

@Hunterex did you shim the front of the scope base on yours? I had to order some base screws, but just setting it on the receiver there is a gap in the front when the rear is flush.
View Quote

Most of my receivers I don't need to, but that one I do because it's drilled just a hair goofy. Usually shimming is just to get your elevation back towards center on these. Not really necessary with modern scopes.

That thing's coming along great.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got a chance to load and shoot some 168 gr pills. First 5 shots @50 to confirm zero. Didn’t get a chance to shoot it at 100 before the damn wind started blowing 30mph.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Great job. Rifle looks great
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#22]
They are fun rifle.  You did a good job.  I always expo the cross bolt into the stock on these repros.  Prevents back out and helps distribute the recoil a little better so there is less stress on the wood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top