Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2022 9:42:33 AM EDT
Hello, I’ve come across a pistol and was wondering if I could get some help identifying the maker and caliber of it. The best I can come up with is that it looks similar to a Stevens 35 but has a handguard piece I’ve not seen them with.  The only visible marking I can find are the serial number on the barrel and again on the frame as well as what looks like a C inside a circle in front of the rear sight assembly. Rear sight is obviously not original and I’m guessing is covering other markings. Doesn’t appear to be a way to remove the sight.  As for caliber the muzzle end it’s close to 22, but breech end is much larger. Hopefully pictures will help more than my description.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you'll want to get some cerrosafe and whip up a chamber casting to be sure of what you have.

There are a number of youtube videos. C&Rsenal/Anvil and Midway have some good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgRp3r9VPE0
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea, very interesting set up. Does the firing pin hit like a rimfire or is it centered?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Based on your measurements it looks like it could be a .22 Hornet.  But like the other poster said.  May want to cast the chamber to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any proof marks on the bottom of the breech or barrel?

I don't believe this is a US made pistol.

View Quote

No other proof marks that I can find and I really don’t want to attempt to remove the rear sight. I did pull the front handguard off and it looks scratched up but no markings. Can’t tell if it’s actually scratches though as it’s smooth and I can’t feel any.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think you'll want to get some cerrosafe and whip up a chamber casting to be sure of what you have.

There are a number of youtube videos. C&Rsenal/Anvil and Midway have some good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgRp3r9VPE0
View Quote

Looks above what I can do but hopefully a co-worker may have what’s needed to do this. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's centerfire I would guess 22 Hornet.
If it's rimfire I would guess .25 Stevens, though the bore diameter seems too small for .25 cal.

In to see the answer.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#8]
It very well could be a Stevens 35 or similar that was converted.

It sure looks like that action.

The markings would be on the left side near the rear of the barrel right where they might have added the rear sight.

It looks the way it does on the under part of the barrel because the front wood was likely added.

Since this has been worked on the only way to tell for certain on caliber is gonna be to cast the chamber cause who knows what they did.

Similar one on GBer.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it's centerfire I would guess 22 Hornet.
If it's rimfire I would guess .25 Stevens, though the bore diameter seems too small for .25 cal.

In to see the answer.

View Quote

Found a website which claimed that some Stevens, Stevens-Lord pistols may have had a star before the serial number so may be on the right track. While everything I’ve read said 22lr and 410 calibers for the 35, it looks like the 36 was offered in .25 Stevens. All the 36’s I’ve seen have a different style trigger guard though.  

I talked to a coworker and he said he could help me cast the camber. He said he has soft lead that could use, but don’t know if that would be a good idea.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Found an old thread talking about these and they came in Calibers were .22 Short, Long Rifle, Stevens-Pope, WRF and .25 Stevens.

Also some in 410 shotgun.

.25 Stevens could be the winner.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#12]
It is a US made pistol
and it is a Stevens,

it has also been rebarreled,   using the original breech,

the sights are modern as well,

seems tight for hornet,  may be a wildcat based on the hornet cartridge

get some cerrosafe

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Cerrosafe has been ordered but it looks like it’ll be mid-April before it arrives. Guess it’s a safe thread until then.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#14]
That looks like a Stevens 35.  I used to own a papered AOW one in .410.

FWIW, that flare at the bottom of the grips looks nice but SUCKS when shooting.  It always dug into my hand during recoil and really made the gun unpleasant to fire.  I sold it off not long after bringing it in.  (I was a SOT at the time, so a F3 was easy.)  I agree with others here that it's a converted gun.  This isn't uncommon because most original guns weren't papered.  The solutions are to either:

a.  Remove the barrel and find someone else with the same problem, trade barrels to get a different S/N, and repaper OR sell the barrel and just find another with a different S/N and repaper;

b.  Make the original barrel into a rifled bore;

c.  Rebarrel to some other caliber with a rifled bore.

Depending on the new caliber and/or your hand size, that flare may not bother you.  My hands are large enough that the Deagle, MK23, and G20/21 seem comfortable.

That wood foregrip is also an addition.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
To resurrect the thread, it did take a little while for the material to arrive but my coworker did cast the chamber for me. I’ll add a picture once I get it from him. It’s apparently been rebarreled as a 22 Hornet. I’ll admit to having little knowledge to gunsmithing, but how would someone go about converting a rimfire to centerfire?  Was there kits offered at some point for changing the firing pin, etc?

Lastly, any ideas on what the value of something like this would be?  I know most collector value is gone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top