Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2020 8:54:44 AM EDT
So my uncle has this old Forehand Arms & Co.  top break 32 SW revolver.. Had it for friggin for ever.. its not worth much but for sentimental value. Seems like the timing is all borked so the cylinder doesn't really line up.

Im guessing that mechanism needs to either be repaired or fabbed. Any suggestions on competent smiths that i can ship this to to have them look at it?

My suggestion was to make it a cool wall hanger but the old man is sentimental so i told him i would do what i could in order to at least get him a price so he can decide.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:59:55 AM EDT
In all honesty, I'd be willing to bet it'll cost more than the value of the firearm. Please, take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:33:52 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
In all honesty, I'd be willing to bet it'll cost more than the value of the firearm. Please, take that for what it's worth.
View Quote
Its gonna cost multiple times what its worth and why i told him wall hanger. But old man is stubborn. So im doing some research for the old devil dog.

I even suggested the idea of buying another one for parts since hes emotional about this one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:56:20 AM EDT
Have you been looking for a parts gun?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:14:07 AM EDT
Look at Numrich and there is another place that sells revolver parts
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:53:19 AM EDT
Any decent Smith should be able to get it going.
Depending on exactly what/which parts need attention.

If it’s just the hand..? Sometimes the hand can be slightly swegded at the contact point and refiled.
It’s a bit of a redneck fix but if the gun is not going to be fired that much and the main goal is to restore function, then  it’s an inexpensive option.

If you want it to function as new ?
Making a new hand and or other parts from scratch and fitting will be expensive.

Parts gun or hit all the old parts houses. Keep in mind..old ass parts guns most likey have the same issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:49:22 PM EDT
Try "Everygunparts.com".
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:25:40 PM EDT
No .32 S&W Forehands on Every Gun Part right now, but they do have a couple of .38 S&Ws that might be able to be cannibalized:
Forehand 1901 .38 S&W
Forehand .38 S&W
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:09:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
Any decent Smith should be able to get it going.
Depending on exactly what/which parts need attention.

If it’s just the hand..? Sometimes the hand can be slightly swegded at the contact point and refiled.
It’s a bit of a redneck fix but if the gun is not going to be fired that much and the main goal is to restore function, then  it’s an inexpensive option.

If you want it to function as new ?
Making a new hand and or other parts from scratch and fitting will be expensive.

Parts gun or hit all the old parts houses. Keep in mind..old ass parts guns most likey have the same issues.
View Quote
I doubt this thing shoots 10 more rounds the rest of my uncles life. We discussed a old parts gun but considered it to would have the same issues.

You say a competent smith should be able to but his local guy was clueless.  then again hes a bit in the back woods.. I have zero issue shipping this to a proper smith to give it a honest estimate on the work needed.  Hes willing to absorb shipping to and back and inspection fees to get a proper set of eyeballs on it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:11:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PigBat:
No .32 S&W Forehands on Every Gun Part right now, but they do have a couple of .38 S&Ws that might be able to be cannibalized:
Forehand 1901 .38 S&W
Forehand .38 S&W
View Quote
Darn it. i meant 38.. I typed this before my coffee this morning.,
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:57:56 PM EDT
Is .38 S&W ammo even available? I have about a dozen loose rounds laying around, but no way I'd allow someone to shoot them. Very old and they are coated with oil.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:53:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
Is .38 S&W ammo even available? I have about a dozen loose rounds laying around, but no way I'd allow someone to shoot them. Very old and they are coated with oil.
View Quote
Yep, still manufactured by Prvi, Remington, Winchester, Magtech and Fiocchi
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:57:03 PM EDT
I have a Forehand .32 S&W top break which someone messed up by firing modern smokeless ammo in it.  The frame is stretched to where it no longer works.  As a warning, many if not most of these small top break revolvers were designed for black powder cartridges and shooting smokeless in them can cause damage.

FWIW, for the ones I have that I don't know for sure are safe with modern ammo I load my own using Hodgdon 777.  It is safe to use in black powder revolvers but isn't quite as smoky and messy as black powder is.
Top Top