Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2020 2:10:00 PM EDT
For the last 30 years or so my dad has carried my grandfathers Old Timer stockman knife.  Back in the summer something wore a hole in his pocket and he lost it.  He’s been tore out of frame since then missing that knife.

I would like to buy him a good one to somewhat replace it “I know I really can’t” but y’all know what I mean.  Every where I look it seems all the Stockmans, even the MADE IN THE USA’s are really China versions and just assembled in the US. Even the US Buck version I can’t get a straight answer if it’s truly US made parts/assembly vs their total Chinese version.  

I started to buy him a nice German made Boker for $85 and then found a post on one of the knife forums that those were produced in China and assembled in Germany.  I don’t know what to believe.

My budget is up to $100, maybe over if I find something nice.  Just want a decent heirloom Stockman that’s not made in China, is that too much to ask??

Thanks for any help from the knife commandos.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Moore Maker maybe?

German Eye-Brand?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Case knives
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got a bunch of German Boker Tree Brand pocket knives and they’re pretty pimpy. I went on a binge two decades back, but don’t carry them, preferring my SwissChamp.

Look on EBay for not a lot of cash.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry my Case stockman every day.  Made in USA. No chinesium!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry my Case stockman every day.  Made in USA. No chinesium!
View Quote

Ditto

Go with Case.
Sheppard Hills Case Medium Stockman
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Well it took me a little time to get back here but I took y’all’s advice and picked up a Case.  Hope he likes it.

Thanks guys...!!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]

That’s a sweet knife!! Plus all American made, Case knives are still quality knives that last with proper care.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Good choice OP.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#9]
When I saw this thread I remembered seeing a Kershaw version on Kershawguy's site.

Made in China.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When I saw this thread I remembered seeing a Kershaw version on Kershawguy's site.

Made in China.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/MIC_jpg-1735491.JPG
View Quote

Yea, I found a Boker on Smoky Mountain Knife Works that was $85.  It said in the description it was made in Germany.  

I sent SMK an email and asked to confirm, they advised it was only assembled in Germany and the knifes parts were “imported.”  Buck sells a supposedly USA Stockman and a China Stockman, but I couldn’t get an answer from them if the USA version was 100% US.

This Case is really nice, glad I picked it up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yea, I found a Boker on Smoky Mountain Knife Works that was $85.  It said in the description it was made in Germany.  

I sent SMK an email and asked to confirm, they advised it was only assembled in Germany and the knifes parts were “imported.”  Buck sells a supposedly USA Stockman and a China Stockman, but I couldn’t get an answer from them if the USA version was 100% US.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made in China.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/MIC_jpg-1735491.JPG

Guess what just came in the mail?  My "gift" for rejoining the NRA came today, a pocket knife.  Made in China and barely up to made-in-China standards.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Overall you really can’t beat a Case if you are wanting that style knife.  Really great knives.

Drop back in and let us know what he thought.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:52:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Overall you really can’t beat a Case if you are wanting that style knife.  Really great knives.

Drop back in and let us know what he thought.
View Quote

Even though my dad is 80 years old, he’s still as tough as wood-pecker lips.  He was working on building a new 10x16 cover over his basement door Wednesday evening and fell down probably 6 ft of brick steps landing on his back.  My mom called me and my brother to come check on him.  I took him to the docs and he had 4 broken ribs and had a few cuts and scrapes.

The man spent 50 years as a volunteer firefighter/Captain and 25 years full time in the National Guard.  Farmed 40-60 acres of tobacco and raised 100+ head of beef cattle and usually 4-6 hogs per year, when he wasn’t at work.  He’s already wanting to get back to his project.

I gave him his new Case knife at our party Christmas Eve.  He really liked it.  Especially the made in the USA part.  He’s always wearing his Trump hat.  

Even though you could tell he was hurting, he used it to open his grandkids toys for them.  I wish I would have thought to get a pic.  He’s got a good couple of months healing in front of him, but he’s feeling a little better tonight.

Thanks again for the recommendations guys...!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]
OP

Great story and knife.

You had me going down memory lane.

The first knife my dad gave me was a Case.

Somewhat like your dad, mine enlisted in the ANG out of HS. He then went Air Force.

He was 88 when he passed. 4/20/2019

I’ve always joked the he had a sense of humor for choosing that date.

Although, pretty sure he would not know the reference.

Again, thank you for the memories.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Even though my dad is 80 years old, he’s still as tough as wood-pecker lips.  He was working on building a new 10x16 cover over his basement door Wednesday evening and fell down probably 6 ft of brick steps landing on his back.  My mom called me and my brother to come check on him.  I took him to the docs and he had 4 broken ribs and had a few cuts and scrapes.

The man spent 50 years as a volunteer firefighter/Captain and 25 years full time in the National Guard.  Farmed 40-60 acres of tobacco and raised 100+ head of beef cattle and usually 4-6 hogs per year, when he wasn’t at work.  He’s already wanting to get back to his project.

I gave him his new Case knife at our party Christmas Eve.  He really liked it.  Especially the made in the USA part.  He’s always wearing his Trump hat.  

Even though you could tell he was hurting, he used it to open his grandkids toys for them.  I wish I would have thought to get a pic.  He’s got a good couple of months healing in front of him, but he’s feeling a little better tonight.

Thanks again for the recommendations guys...!!!
View Quote

That’s great to hear! Your dad is a Badass! Merry (late) Christmas
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top