Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2022 8:10:44 PM EDT
Where does everyone get their alignment rods? I need them for barrels in 5.56, .308 and .45.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Mcmaster carr.
There's list of the correct sizes per caliber somewhere on this site.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
McMaster.

When they give them to you, check them right there and make sure they’re straight. They’re long enough that shining a light across the table and rolling it is good enough to see. If not straight enough, hand it back to the lady and request another.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
McMaster.

When they give them to you, check them right there and make sure they’re straight. They’re long enough that shining a light across the table and rolling it is good enough to see. If not straight enough, hand it back to the lady and request another.
View Quote

I just checked their locations and it doesn’t look like there any local to me. Looks like there’s several shaft options. Are there any materials or shaft options that are preferred for checking alignment?

I would assume steel is the optimal material, to prevent bending during storage and handling.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mcmaster carr.
There's list of the correct sizes per caliber somewhere on this site.
View Quote

Agreed if you just have to have them.

I think they're pretty worthless though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
No you don’t
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I got mine from surefire through a random dealer. Surefire makes alignment rods for 5.56 and 7.62.
They're not useless depending on the gun and how your muzzle device was installed. I had an AK that was misaligned and would have caused a baffle strike.
Also, never use crush washers on your muzzle devices for suppressor use or it will be misaligned. Always use shims.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where does everyone get their alignment rods? I need them for barrels in 5.56, .308 and .45.
View Quote
https://www.griffinarmament.com/suppressor-alignment-check-rod/

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/surefire%20alignment%20rod

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/geissele%20alignment%20rod

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You don't need them.  

They convince people of imaginary problems far more than they solve real ones.  You can easily check alignment without a rod.
View Quote

Remove bolt and look down bore is my method.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You don't need them.  

They convince people of imaginary problems far more than they solve real ones.  You can easily check alignment without a rod.
View Quote

This. I just look down the bore. I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This. I just look down the bore. I've never had an issue.
View Quote

Same.

Flashlight down the bore works too. Full crisp moon. Good to go. Fuzzy edges or eclipse, check it out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to say is alignment rod a code word for a gun?

But then remembered this is tech not GD lol.

But I wouldn’t sweat it op, take bolt out and look down the barrel. If it’s factory threaded and a quality can  you’re gtg
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just checked their locations and it doesn't look like there any local to me. Looks like there's several shaft options. Are there any materials or shaft options that are preferred for checking alignment?

I would assume steel is the optimal material, to prevent bending during storage and handling.
View Quote
Please don't put a steel rod down your barrel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.3dreloading.com/product/300-7-62-308-alignment-rod

I’ve gotten all mine from this guy. Way cheaper than most places.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Please don't put a steel rod down your barrel.
View Quote

What do you think happens when you shoot OVERSIZED jacketed (bimetal or copper) slugs down the bore and they’re swaged into shape before sliding metal-on-metal at supersonic velocities?  But yeah, that undersized unhardened rod gently placed in the bore  is going to do the barrel in....

The bore (CL or nitride) is so much harder than the undhardened steel rod it’s laughable to be concerned.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You don't need them.  

View Quote

For pistols, ARs and the like, I agree.  Never had a problem just using my eye.

There are exceptions though. As and example I have an old Nylon 66. Short of dismantling the gun, which is a bear, you cannot look down the barrel so a rod is prudent in this scenario.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No you don’t
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You don't need them.  

View Quote

This. Don't waste your money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top