Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2020 3:49:03 PM EDT
I've got a Battle Arms Development Short Throw Safety (BAD-ASS-ST) that I need to install on a rifle with a Geissele SSA-E trigger.  The safety has two removable modular levers and a "drum" center piece.  The center piece is reversible.  When configured one way it is a conventional 0/90 degree safety.  When configured the other it is a short throw 0/45 safety.  My receiver "Fire" markings are at 45 degrees.

When installed, and the lever set to "fire" the hammer will not drop.  The back of the trigger rises up and contacts the safety centerpiece even when set to fire and the hammer won't fall.  I posted about this a couple days ago asking for recommendations for a file as I was going to file down that safety but I recently got a response from Battle Arms Development.  I'm going to paste in their response below and was hoping those here who are more knowledgeable than I might take a look and let me know they feel that this is a good solution.

The response from their support was well written and even included pictures to compare a new Geissele Trigger to a Milspec trigger.  I'm thinking I'll do what they say and give that a shot but I just wanted to post here first and see what you guys say.

Here is their response:

Sometimes there are fitting issues between our short-throw safety selector and the Geissele trigger. Please take it to a qualified gunsmith. Like all aftermarket products that deviate from "Mil-Spec", some requires a bit of fitting and some are simply not compatible.  The key element is that the short-throw safety works with a "Mil-Spec" AR-15 trigger.  If it does, there is nothing wrong with the safety selector.  With that said, due to various aftermarket trigger designs, sometimes issues arise.

The top deck of the Geissele cast trigger bar that engages the safety cylinder is unusually shaped and thick compare to standard trigger.  The standard Mil-Spec trigger bar is thinner and has parallel surfaces.  The top surface is usually machined for tolerance. If you look at the Geissele you will see the top deck starts at extremely thick and then tapers down to the tip of the trigger bar.  This is the design difference that causes compatibility issues.  

Furthermore, the top deck surface is not finish machined and left as cast.  We have tested our Short-Throw Safety against various Geissele Triggers before the launch years back and without issues, at least with the ones we had.  However, casting tolerances varies greatly, with a swing of 0.015" typically.  If that surface isn't finish machined, there will be fitting issues from time to time.  We cannot modify our safety any further for risk of "safety" issues with "Mil-Spec" and other aftermarket triggers.  Our safety selector cores/centers are precision CNC machined on all surfaces in fully automated SWISS machines with a tolerance of 0.0004" or better.  

We recommend slowly removing the material off of the trigger bar top deck (see Image above that shows "deck height") about .001" at a time on a flat India Stone (or equivalent) and test fit the trigger to safety until you get the right fit and the safety freely rotates in FIRE and SAFE.  Keep the surface flat and parallel.  Note that modifying your trigger may or may not void your trigger warranty.
View Quote

I've attached a couple of the pictures they included below.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd look at it as fitting the trigger as opposed to fitting the safety.

The instructions provided sound like the way to go.  Hand fitting is preferable to dremeling as it lets you make mistakes a lot slower.

Joat
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use a coarse grit diamond file.  It removes material slowly, and works on hardened or tool steel very well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not really familiar with the parts in question, but, unless I have a good reason not to, I usually try to modify the cheaper part first.
YMMV
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hit up Big G before fucking w that trigger.
Also tell the customer. I’d be pissed af if a gunsmith went messing w my $250 SSAE instead of the much much cheaper safety lever that I could find an alternate for bc they aren’t that important to gun function anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top