Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2022 4:08:42 AM EDT
I have an Outback II that I bought a little over 20 years ago.  It's a bitch to clean,  can't be taken apart, and rather than pay someone to convert it, I'd rather buy a new can.  While I think they all are...needs to be 1/2x28.

What is arguably the quietest .22lr can currently on the market that is a breeze to clean?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Mask, NYX, TakeDown, Oculus, Hanson Vidar (?), SwitchBack
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t know if it’s the quietest but I just got my yhm phantom 22 out of jail a few weeks ago. It’s a breeze to take apart and sounds great. There is a little first round pop but it’s better than my sparrow. I honestly really like everything about this can except for the slightly 2 toned color between the base and the main tube. If you’re near SWPA, I could meet up so you could check it out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Mask
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I had Gemteck "FIX" mine, love it now

I also have a Mask love it.

Looking at this can from Hansohn Bros, to have a .22 can for $450 out the door, why not?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have an Outback II that I bought a little over 20 years ago.  It's a bitch to clean,  can't be taken apart, and rather than pay someone to convert it, I'd rather buy a new can.  While I think they all are...needs to be 1/2x28.

What is arguably the quietest .22lr can currently on the market that is a breeze to clean?  

Thanks
View Quote

Is this can mostly for rifle or pistol use or a mix of both?

For rimfire cans, I've got an Outback 2 (upgraded to IOU core by Gemtech in 2014), AAC Prodigy (gen 3 core), AAC Halcyon, Griffin Optimus Micro, and Rugged Mustang 22.  I like them all for what they are but, for strictly 22 LR use, I would pick the Mustang 22.  It is as quiet as my Optimus Micro and my brother's Rugged Oculus while being much lighter.  If weight is not a concern, I'd go with the Oculus for the stainless steel construction.  A captured mount (or tool features to snug it up enough so it doesn't get stuck on the host) is a must for me, hence my choices.  There are lots of good options out there, good luck.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a rugged mustang for lightweight and a oss rad 22 to be easy on my old beretta 70s.  They both sound about the same in loudness but the mustang has more of a PT PT PT sound and the rad 22 has more of a pfft, pfft, pfft sound.  Found myself gravitating more towards the rad 22 and put a lot more sounds through it.  When cleaning it seemed cleaner than the mustang and has steel baffles so you can be harsher on it.  When shooting you see a bunch of smoke come out of the end on the rad 22 that you don’t see on the mustang.  I would take a look at the rad 22.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
No complaints with my YHM Phantom 22 or Mask.  Easy to maintain, both sound great.  The YHM has just a hair more first round pop.  

Plenty of others to choose from, NYX, Takedown, Switchback etc.... You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If budget isn't a concern, then get another suppressor of course, AND get your Outback II upgraded.
View Quote
+1.  I'd get the Outback II re-cored too.  I personally wouldn't go for a monocore myself unless the design has shielding to prevent fouling of the tube.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an Oculus and dad has a Sparrow. The Oculus wins between those too. If I didn't get an Oculus, I would go DA Mask
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I really don't want to be that guy, but this question has been asked ad nauseum on here, and if you do the ol google search (i.e. best 22 can site:arcom15) you will find a ton of threads already out there in regards to the subject. With that said, I will suggest the usual suspects

Mask
Occulus

Good luck

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really don't want to be that guy, but this question has been asked ad nauseum on here, and if you do the ol google search (i.e. best 22 can site:arcom15) you will find a ton of threads already out there in regards to the subject. With that said, I will suggest the usual suspects

Mask
Occulus

Good luck

View Quote

OP generally asks questions that are often asked and easily answered by google.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mask
Occulus

Good luck

Just seeing this and coming back to the purchase now.  Might want to rethink forums in general as the same could be said for most of what is posted here.  But hive experience counts more than what google usually shows.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking at the Mask HD and Occulus.  But that Hansohn Brothers can....that looks impressive!!!

Problem is, I can find ZERO video reviews of it and no reviews of any kind anywhere else online.  It's like it doesn't exist.  But having a can that is THAT modular and cheap.....that's a home run provided it is mouse fart quiet and is of good quality!  

My local dealer has the Mask HD in stock for the same $439 SS has it for.  When I asked how things were done in person buying directly from them vs. clicking a few buttons for SS....I didn't get the best answer but I also didn't talk directly to the guy handling it as he wasn't in yet.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#15]
This trip down memory lane made me wonder, does anyone actually have experience with a Hansohn Vidar? Seems like a great option based on size/weight/materials.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a Nyx. The fact that it is as quiet as a Mask, Takedown, etc. is great... The fact that it is almost half the weight is even better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the Outback IID with monocore, Oculus and Mask. On a rifle my Outback is a decent suppressor but it is horrendously loud on a handgun. I find the Mask to be slightly quieter and a nicer tone than the Oculus which is no slouch. I would recommend the Mask and Oculus. Get the Oculus if you want a modular can. If not, then the Mask.

My next RF can will be a Takedown.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This trip down memory lane made me wonder, does anyone actually have experience with a Hansohn Vidar? Seems like a great option based on size/weight/materials.
View Quote

Can't speak for that model but for the F4, again, it's like it doesn't exist and no one has one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can't speak for that model but for the F4, again, it's like it doesn't exist and no one has one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@HansohnBrothers
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Have a Mask and Oculus. Either will suffice.

Have shot them side by side and can’t tell the difference.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#22]

My fav top 3 cans in order are,

1. Rugged Oculus/Mustang
2.  TB Takedown 22
3. DA Mask

I put a light coat of welding anti splatter gel on the baffles which makes cleaning easier.  Most of the gunk is easily wiped off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/NtzbQ2x/B6-A86149-6-FE9-4-EC2-89-D5-9-D6-CAD379-E54.jpg
My fav top 3 cans in order are,

1. Rugged Oculus/Mustang
2.  TB Takedown 22
3. DA Mask

I put a light coat of welding anti splatter gel on the baffles which makes cleaning easier.  Most of the gunk is easily wiped off.
View Quote

Are the Rugged and TB cans quieter than DA Mask?
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mask, NYX, TakeDown, Oculus, Hanson Vidar (?), SwitchBack
View Quote

This right here.

I have a mask it’s badass, I also have experience with the Oculus (test fired one with my dealer) and it’s legit too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

I have an Outback II that I won in a raffle in 2010 that I had upgraded to one I could take apart to clean by Gemtech many years ago.

You might check to see if they still offer that service. Edit, I see this has been mentioned already.

I am waiting for a Mask and an Oculus. Thinking about getting a Q Erector or something different. I have a Tactical Solutions Cascade Ti Monocore. I want to have a rimfire can for each host so I need to pick 2 more.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I want to have a rimfire can for each host so I need to pick 2 more.
View Quote

This one has kind of caught my eye. Supposedly it is geared to precision. I haven't really herd much about it though.  I believe they are also the manufacturer for Dead Air.

https://kgm-tech.com/rf22-suppressor-2/

Link Posted: 8/27/2022 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#27]
TacSol Axiom is probably my favorite for tone/sound reduction/easy to clean.

For absolute ease of living with, I highly recommend the Q El Camino because the threaded end doesn't come off, the baffles are SS and easy to clean, no need to index the baffles and the baffles form a seal so they don't get stuck to the tube.  Also no need for a proprietary tool for takedown + sounds pretty sweet!  

Link Posted: 8/27/2022 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This one has kind of caught my eye. Supposedly it is geared to precision. I haven't really herd much about it though.  I believe they are also the manufacturer for Dead Air.

https://kgm-tech.com/rf22-suppressor-2/

https://kgm-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/RF22.jpg
View Quote

I like the weight. Definitely looks like a strong contender at a glance.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are the Rugged and TB cans quieter than DA Mask?
View Quote

They pretty much all sound the same with no FRP.  I like the Rugged cans because I can run them in short mode on rifles with little difference in sound.

Cleaning the TB and Rugged cans are easier.  My Mask’s baffles leak by causing buildup inside the tube.  Neither the TB or Rugged cans do.  Now that I think about it none of my other rimfire cans do it either.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Mask
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
TacSol Axiom is probably my favorite for tone/sound reduction/easy to clean.

For absolute ease of living with, I highly recommend the Q El Camino because the threaded end doesn't come off, the baffles are SS and easy to clean, no need to index the baffles and the baffles form a seal so they don't get stuck to the tube.  Also no need for a proprietary tool for takedown + sounds pretty sweet!  

View Quote
My axiom is a great performer and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a switchback, mask, oculus, el camino and an element 2. I rate them in that order though the top 2 might switch depending on host. Realistically there isn’t a lot of difference between them, they’re all pretty quiet with the right ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top