Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 6/22/2019 12:04:44 PM EDT
Starting to spend more time on the coast and do a lot of offshore fishing. Was talking to the father in law and swears by his titanium blades. I noticed his blades are so dull I cringed.

I thought Ti was soft ?

So far I’ve only looked at Spyderco Salt and H1 blades. What else should I be looking at?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Moras

Discard and replace as needed
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Spyderco Salt - I've used a folder in and around salt water, snorkeling, fishing etc for years now and it's great. Sharp too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Moras

Discard and replace as needed
View Quote
I would go with this. Oil them and they'll even last a long time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would go with this. Oil them and they'll even last a long time.
View Quote
So I bought 3 Moras. The stainless ones didn’t make it one summer on the boat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Spyderco in H1 for serrated blades and LC200n for straight edge.  They just came out with the Waterway model, and it looks like a hell of a fishing knife.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You want a nitrogen stainless steel for ultimate corrosion resistance in a martensitic stainless blade.  Vanax, N680, Z Finit

Titanium is soft, however a titanium blade that has been carbidized on one side and then sharpened on the other will cut nearly forever and a day. It just won't be pretty and is basically like cutting with a micro serrated blade, but it will never corrode.

Beta titanium can get harder and work as a primary cutting edge but is uncommon and still nowhere near steel edge retention.

Stellite is another option that is corrosion proof with excellent wear resistance, but the wear resistance is all in the carbides that are essentially suspended in a soft matrix, so cutting hard things can damage the edge.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Spyderco in H1 for serrated blades and LC200n for straight edge.  They just came out with the Waterway model, and it looks like a hell of a fishing knife.
View Quote
Yep, getting the Waterway. Just read Surfingringo’s write up on it. Basically the LC200N is just as corrosion resistant as H1 if there is no hardware.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, getting the Waterway. Just read Surfingringo’s write up on it. Basically the LC200N is just as corrosion resistant as H1 if there is no hardware.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm jealous! I've been eyeing that knife since it's been in development.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Spyderco Salt series knives are a great option!! Pacific salt or any of the new fixed blades.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Spydies in H1 as above.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Spyderco Spydiechef.

Essentially rustproof, and a great all around knife.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Wear a spyderco salt H1 in neck lanyard for all offshore trips.  Serrated better for emergencies, like cutting a line real quick.  Think serrated is the way to go when offshore.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I still like having a few Moras around for as cheap as they are...

I've gone with the Spyderco Caribbean Compression for a straight edge and the Spyderco Pacific Serrated, and the new Waterway sounds perfect for a fixed blade.  We did returned a week ago spending a week in the Virgin Islands where I carried a plain-edge Pacific folder...carried it daily hiking on St. Johns and tons of snorkeling.  H1 rocks.  It's a softer steel, so you'll need to touch it up more often, but nothing like titanium.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#16]
When I worked as a deckhand in Alaska everyone carried and used Victorinox serrated fixed blades - the boat bought them buy the case. Throw it away when it was dull, they were like $4 ea wholesale.

This with a serrated blade :

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-4-Inch-Utility-Polypropylene/dp/B0019X3KQ8/ref=sr_1_fkmr5_2?keywords=Victorinox+Cutlery+4-Inch+Utility+Knife%2C+Black+Polypropylene+Handle+serrated&qid=1572497848&sr=8-2-fkmr5
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Spyderco Dragonfly salt has been my fishing/boat knife for years.

Rarely cleaned, most times just gets rinsed in salt water - no rust. H1 steel with the spider edge has fantastic edge retention.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I worked as a deckhand in Alaska everyone carried and used Victorinox serrated fixed blades - the boat bought them buy the case. Throw it away when it was dull, they were like $4 ea wholesale.

This with a serrated blade :

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-4-Inch-Utility-Polypropylene/dp/B0019X3KQ8/ref=sr_1_fkmr5_2?keywords=Victorinox+Cutlery+4-Inch+Utility+Knife%2C+Black+Polypropylene+Handle+serrated&qid=1572497848&sr=8-2-fkmr5
View Quote
Those are my go to camping knife.  I give them away as stocking stuffers.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top